Lockdown cruiser

Del boy

I am in ireland
Dec 10, 2020
I’m on the home stretch now with the front end, track control arm and brake pipes are the next job to finish it up. I’m hoping to have the rear axle in by the weekend and button it all up. Next phase is the engine, looking around but with Covid restrictions and Xmas holidays it’s going to be difficult to put my hands on something short term, if anyone has something lying about please let me know.

Attachments

Del boy

I am in ireland
Dec 10, 2020
Due to the day job progress Is slower than I’d like but I have managed to complete the front axle assembly, plumb in brake lines and fit the rear axle. Next to do is rear axle hubs and brake assembly, last job on the frame is fuel and brake lines running the length of the frame then on to the engine swap

I thought it worth mentioning a couple of things that might help others with projects , I didn’t want use copper or cupronickel brake line purely because I think they look cheap and don’t straighten like steel, I found it nearly impossible to get stainless but by pure accident I bought some steel brake line from Wurth , it’s identical to what Toyota used originally ,great to work with and relatively inexpensive. Pictures included to show results .

I would like to put it out there that if you require any assistance or tools for projects/ small jobs feel free to contact me through the forum , no point in purchasing a brake pipe flaring tool for one off jobs, pressing bush’s, welding I can assist with equipment or know how, I operate a workshop that’s loaded with equipment and would be happy to help with any small diy jobs. I’m based in Dublin so when we’re the other side this dreadful pandemic your very welcome to come to my workshop for help.

Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year

Attachments

Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

guruvetim

I am in zimbabwe
Oct 7, 2017
Zimbabwe
Hahaha if that's what you call slow progress, I hate to think how much you get done when you've got a deadline... Great work it all looks lovely..

SteveJB

Supporter
I am in uk
Dec 23, 2016
Del just went back and re read your progress you were asking about rear disc brakes and im sure someone was going to use some Subaru parts as they already have the original handbrake setup so there was no need for a transmission handbrake hope this was helpful and are you going with the Hotrod Red for the body colour great progress

Del boy

I am in ireland
Dec 10, 2020
Del just went back and re read your progress you were asking about rear disc brakes and im sure someone was going to use some Subaru parts as they already have the original handbrake setup so there was no need for a transmission handbrake hope this was helpful and are you going with the Hotrod Red for the body colour great progress
Cheers Steve I’ll look in to that , still not sure about the colour but maybe a matte grey wrap similar to this Bronco
On the matter of the engine me heads wrecked trying to find a decent thread regarding swapping out the 2.4 for the KZ TE , Ive located an engine but don’t want to pull the trigger until I have all the detail, any help would very welcome

Attachments

kasali

I am in zambia
Jan 11, 2021
I love landcruisers and hve one kzj78 with a 1KZ engine tho running great but need to work on few thing and dont know whether can add a front mount intercooler
or not.

Del boy

I am in ireland
Dec 10, 2020
Chassis element of the project is just there ,just a couple of loose ends to tie up and on to the engine

Attachments

Del boy

I am in ireland
Dec 10, 2020
So pretty much all the plumbing completed , I have gone with putting back on the rear shoes for the moment just to get it rolling but will revisit the disc brake conversion later on . Attached image of a really crude looking tool I made up for removal and installation of the rear hub bearings , it was made up of scrap metal so please forgive its appearance but is very effective , again if anyone needs to use it along with with a hydraulic press your very welcome or anything else I can assist with.

Attachments

Reactions: prendergast7

Con_Twohig

I am in ireland
Nov 12, 2020
Cork
Hi Del. Hope the restoration of the 70 series is going well. Dont see any of them around here anymore... all crumbled away to nothing at the corner of most Irish farm yards. Looks like serious work done already. A serious find that you got... im definitely looking in the wrong yards :laughing:

Del boy

I am in ireland
Dec 10, 2020
Hi Del. Hope the restoration of the 70 series is going well. Dont see any of them around here anymore... all crumbled away to nothing at the corner of most Irish farm yards. Looks like serious work done already. A serious find that you got... im definitely looking in the wrong yards :laughing:
Don’t give up the search Con, I wasn’t even looking when I came across this beauty!

Del boy

I am in ireland
Dec 10, 2020
It truly is remarkable how little rust has gotten to this the LC , I have four areas to patch around the rear wheel arch’s and that’s it , completely clean and degrease the underbody and it’s good for paint . It’s looking like I’m going to with Raptor liner inside and out but I have a couple of weeks decide
Nice surprise finding the original Toyota tool bag and jack hiding in rear panel!

Attachments

Reactions: prendergast7

prendergast7

I am in ireland
Mar 17, 2013
DUBLIN, Ireland
Due to the day job progress Is slower than I’d like but I have managed to complete the front axle assembly, plumb in brake lines and fit the rear axle. Next to do is rear axle hubs and brake assembly, last job on the frame is fuel and brake lines running the length of the frame then on to the engine swap

I thought it worth mentioning a couple of things that might help others with projects , I didn’t want use copper or cupronickel brake line purely because I think they look cheap and don’t straighten like steel, I found it nearly impossible to get stainless but by pure accident I bought some steel brake line from Wurth , it’s identical to what Toyota used originally ,great to work with and relatively inexpensive. Pictures included to show results .

I would like to put it out there that if you require any assistance or tools for projects/ small jobs feel free to contact me through the forum , no point in purchasing a brake pipe flaring tool for one off jobs, pressing bush’s, welding I can assist with equipment or know how, I operate a workshop that’s loaded with equipment and would be happy to help with any small diy jobs. I’m based in Dublin so when we’re the other side this dreadful pandemic your very welcome to come to my workshop for help.

Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year
good to know Del that you are available for small job help. My LJ71 is in storage at the moment and is vintage in 2022 so looking to get her back on the road then. Amazing work on the LC70 - would you be in a position to help with a body list and on mine? would that be a huge ask?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks