Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Locked diffs

Sorry, Ben, I wasn't commenting on Zooks, specifically. Some have a disconnect on the propshaft, some have hub locks, some have things that are too clever for their own good!
My Mate's Lux has 2wd and 4wd but that only works of course if he puts his hubs in. It seems to drive fine in 4wd without a proper CD. But then it IS a Toyota :thumbup:

Not quite following the point about them being fine in 2wd with the hubs locked. Of course they'll be fine like that - there's a front diff to prevent wind up and the prop isn't engaged as it's in 2wd.

Yes, the freeloaders are different, they have a sort of slip clutch plate sort of this which is just nasty.

Chris

the point i was trying to make was that you will only ever get a centre diff lock in a full time 4x4 vehicle, all the other part time 4x4's dont have them as it wouldnt work because they already have one, as in effect when in 4 wheel drive the power is effectively locked front to back.

hence why you cant use a part time 4x4 on dry roads in 4 wheel drive as it winds the transmission up, because the power is effectively locked front to back, just like if you were to engage your centre diff lock when on dry tarmac roads, it would wind the transmission up.

the wooden bumper is coming on well, although i havnt been able to do much on it this week due to work. will hopefully do some more over the weekend, and then will update my thread. :thumbup:

If the weather is anything like it is here Ben then you may have to turn up the flow on your shielding gas just a little. Blimey, it's ferocious out there!!

I think that the local fencing contractors will be rubbing their hands.

Chris

Chris said:
If the weather is anything like it is here Ben then you may have to turn up the flow on your shielding gas just a little. Blimey, it's ferocious out there!!

I think that the local fencing contractors will be rubbing their hands.

Chris

not using gas mate! :)

i know people prefer MIG as its a lot easier, but i use an ARC welder.
after spending 6months working with a metal fabricator/engineer last year im really good at ARC welding now.

i will try and get some close up pics of the welding on my bumper to show you, if i didnt say anything youd probably think it was MIG welded! :twisted:

weather is bad here aswell. :thumbdown:

Yeah, I still use the stick now and then. It's better / easier sometimes. I lay a pretty good bead myself, but I only have a 115 amp MMA so I have to use a double pass on larger stuff or at least use root gaps where I can. The duty cycle is pretty poor too as it's not a turbo. I have a proper supply in the workshop now, so I could get a bigger stick. They are so cheap to pic up and I'll keep my eye open.

Chris

Back