Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Long distance driving

spnk

Country Flag
moldova
Hey everyone.

New to the forum, and still new to the 70 series. Been bitten by this "bug" for a few weeks already now, and there wasn't a day when I did not go online to read some more info about this legend of a car.

But I couldn't find the answer to this question: how is this car as a long distance car? And I mean like 1500-3000 km at least 4-5 times a year.

The reason why I'm asking is because I have two seasonal jobs (winter and summer), located in places and within weather conditions where a good and trustful 4x4 is a must a lot of times, and they're both quite far away one from another, but I also would like to drive it back to my homecountry in between the seasons. All driving would be within Europe.

And I know that it's not the fastest one out there, and depending on the car's condition and the engine, it could max between 100 and 135 km/h, but that would already be a struggle for it.

I'm particularly interested in the 1990-1996 models, and I would use it mostly on asphalt and gravel, and ocassionaly take it offroad.

So, any thoughts or experience on this would be highly appreciated, and definitely would help me make the right decision.

I am going to guess you are talking about the 1hz engine. This will do sustained travel with no problems add long as you keep to the maintenance schedules.

You may want to consider suspension. Getting something suited to your load and road surface will go a long way in adding comfort ( of course it may already be setup perfectly! )

Hi and welcome,
Last year we did an 8000 kms trip over six weeks in our 40 series. A 1990+ 70 series is a load more sophisticated than a '77 40 series.
The art is to ignore the cars travelling at warp speed and take it a speed that both you and the truck are comfortable at. We cruise on the motorways around 100-115 kph and the engine is revving at just over 2000. One of the days we covered 800 kms with no ill effects for us or the truck.
70 series are great trucks.

Regards,

Rodger

I am going to guess you are talking about the 1hz engine. This will do sustained travel with no problems add long as you keep to the maintenance schedules.

You may want to consider suspension. Getting something suited to your load and road surface will go a long way in adding comfort ( of course it may already be setup perfectly! )

Sorry, I forgot to specify that. Well, actually I was talking more of the 2L-T / 2L-TE engines, as I think that 2.4 would be enough for me. But the 1KZ would also be an option, given I find an interesting offer. Although, again, 2.4 is more appealing as it would be more fuel efficient, especially on long distances.

And I'm more interested in how does one feel after a long ride on this little guy, in terms of comfort, vibrations, noise isolation, etc. Obviously, all of these can be improved, but still, it's good to know from people who already went through something that I intend to.

It's still a bit confusing for me with all these modifications, but I guess what I'm looking for is the light duty version of the 70, 71, 73, 77-79, with one of the three engine models mentioned above. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi and welcome,
Last year we did an 8000 kms trip over six weeks in our 40 series. A 1990+ 70 series is a load more sophisticated than a '77 40 series.
The art is to ignore the cars travelling at warp speed and take it a speed that both you and the truck are comfortable at. We cruise on the motorways around 100-115 kph and the engine is revving at just over 2000. One of the days we covered 800 kms with no ill effects for us or the truck.
70 series are great trucks.

Regards,

Rodger
Now that's just what I was looking to find out.

I wouldn't even dream about going faster than 110-120 kph, so that would be more than enough for me.

Thanks, Rodger!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hard to answer. With the 70 is was like love at first sight. I just saw it once on the streets and it instantly felt like this car is made for me.
Or like adopting a dog: the one that looks you in the eyes and gets to your soul is the right one.
Kind of like that.
Say no more...

Hard to answer. With the 70 is was like love at first sight. I just saw it once on the streets and it instantly felt like this car is made for me.
Or like adopting a dog: the one that looks you in the eyes and gets to your soul is the right one.
Kind of like that.

Well, that was the sensation when my 80 first saw me! :lol:

And it's an HZ and Max's out at circa 120 km/hr.

For comfort, I recon an 80 would take some beating, but the 70 with coils should be similar, just a bit more sparse in the cab I'd imagine (never been in a 70 TBH).

Still, neither ar lame drovers, so it's got to be good. :lol:

Just some thoughts on the engines, although other members undoubtedly know more on this subject, but 2LT is underpowered for the size/weight of truck and 2.4 is prone to cracking cylinder heads. 3 LT would be my choice and it will make the long journeys easier - lower revs, less gear changes, etc.

There are threads on here about the 2.4 and correcting the head problems and how to tell if it's been done right.

Driving an LC on any journey long or short always has a massive grin factor!

Regards

Rodger

Haha. Thanks for all the support, guys. It actually matters, a lot!
I think I found the thread you were talking about, Rodger. These guys seemed to have some good points there, so I guess it would be wise to listen to them. Now to find that perfect 1HZ.. (which is way harder, obviously)

Re fuel economy I would prefer to drive a big engine with a light foot than a small engine.
On a long trip I find big powerful engine more relaxing to drive than a under powered one and it's nice to have the power on tap if you need it.

Also never believe what the manufacturer tells you your car will do mpg wise, you will not be driving the same test bench in the same laboratory.

Correct me if I am wrong but are there two different 70 series trucks, the 2.5 ish bodies are smaller with a lighter chassis than the 4.2 one, different suspensions as well, I say this because we never got any 70 series in SA with a engine smaller than 4.2 liters and I have not looked at any 70's in the uk but I seem to recall this coming up in one of Ben's threads.

I'm particularly interested in the 1990-1996 models, and I would use it mostly on asphalt and gravel, and ocassionaly take it offroad.

Budget and criteria accepted a d4d 90 series is a clear winner depending on where you are in the world ?

My 2 cents:
I love to drive my 40 series when I want to get firewood from the forest nearby, but I hate to drive it on the motorway. A real workhorse but too spartan for long distance.
I love to drive my hzj75 on gravel roads or any roads with speed under 90 kph but I hate the constant battle against rust and it just won't drive uphill in 5th gear.
I love to drive my 80 on any road or offroad. Easy cruising at 120 kph or climbing a rocky mountain path, no problemo. But I hate it.......well now let me think......errrrr.......well, there isn't much to hate about the 80 to be honest.

My conclusion: for driving 3000 kms 4 times a year, i would definitely take my 80 series. It drives like a big car, while the 75 drives like a small truck.

Please also consider Shayne's advice about the 90 or even consider the 120. Your likely to find one of these a bit younger and with less mileage for the price of a 70 series with 300k or more.

Car aside, also consider your own age and condition. :icon-wink:

I used to think driving 10 hours straight was a doddle, as you get older you find it harder, the more modern the car the easier it is on your body. After driving my Discovery for 3 or 4 hours non stop I 'knew' I had been driving it for that period of time. The 80 'could' (and has been) been driven for 10 hours, just a 5 minute stop for fuel. Now in my 7th year of 80 ownership and I find 4 hours is enough, the car is well maintained and still lovely to drive but, it is me getting older. :cry:

Regards

Dave

Now I have decent seats fitted, (bad back, y'know :violin:) I'd happily drive my 80 all day, and I'm sure it's way more basic than the UK spec HDJ. :icon-biggrin:

Re fuel economy I would prefer to drive a big engine with a light foot than a small engine.
On a long trip I find big powerful engine more relaxing to drive than a under powered one and it's nice to have the power on tap if you need it.

Also never believe what the manufacturer tells you your car will do mpg wise, you will not be driving the same test bench in the same laboratory.

Correct me if I am wrong but are there two different 70 series trucks, the 2.5 ish bodies are smaller with a lighter chassis than the 4.2 one, different suspensions as well, I say this because we never got any 70 series in SA with a engine smaller than 4.2 liters and I have not looked at any 70's in the uk but I seem to recall this coming up in one of Ben's threads.
The difference in MPG L/KM between a 2LT & 1KZ TE won't be worth worrying about .

I drive long distances in a 73.
first of all, if you need to shift gear from one place to another, then you need bigger then just a 70. look at 73, has 30cm more length in the cargo area.
2lt is underpowered, you need to be careful and mostly drive 90-100km/h.
dreams of 120km/h would thake you very quick on the expense lane.
brakes are of modest capability and steering will surely be something that has a certain age, hence slack.

I get tired driving the truck 1600km over two days. most I drove it on one day was 1200km and I was shot.

my guess is that most tiring is the constant steering correction. I am well used with slack steering from previous truck, but my 70 must be at leads twice more tiring than a normal car.
finally, you need a reliable car if you drive across Europe . that means that first you will need to spend money (quite a bit to be honest) to make sure truck is in good condition.

wish you luck!

I drive long distances in a 73.
first of all, if you need to shift gear from one place to another, then you need bigger then just a 70. look at 73, has 30cm more length in the cargo area.
2lt is underpowered, you need to be careful and mostly drive 90-100km/h.
dreams of 120km/h would thake you very quick on the expense lane.
brakes are of modest capability and steering will surely be something that has a certain age, hence slack.

I get tired driving the truck 1600km over two days. most I drove it on one day was 1200km and I was shot.

my guess is that most tiring is the constant steering correction. I am well used with slack steering from previous truck, but my 70 must be at leads twice more tiring than a normal car.
finally, you need a reliable car if you drive across Europe . that means that first you will need to spend money (quite a bit to be honest) to make sure truck is in good condition.

wish you luck!

Hi Alexy, is there nothing you can do (within reason of course) to improve your steering?

The steering box on my 80 has an adjuster, allowing a certain degree of slack removal, I just wondered if the 70 box had something similar.

Frank Rabbets posted a thread on adjusting 80 steering boxes, but I confess that I took mine to GTC and they did it for me. actually, they replaced some hydraulic seals at the same time, but just the readjustment of the slack in the box transformed the steering, and it was only a couple of hours labour.

They really do know what they're doing if you want to give them a try, while you're still here. One of the guys there has a 70 series that he races in offroad trials, so I know they know their stuff on 70s as well.

Back