Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Longest lasting 80 radiator please ?

frank rabbets

Guru
What's the longest lasting radiator these days please ? My new Toyota one lasted less than a year !! Thanks in advance.

If I required a new rad I'd be looking at an OEM replacement. Tempting fate here but mine's still on the original at 19 years and 115k miles. Are you certain your new one hasn't sustained some damage that's not immediately obvious? Less than a year is very poor even by cheap replacement standards.

I'm guessing it's either some hidden corrosion or more likely a bad one from new. It does happen.

I'll have a careful look tomorrow and put some compressed air in it then pour some soapy water over it.

I've just had a look at the fins and bottom/top plates with magnifying binoculars and torch and can't find any damage to the fins etc. Not even marked paint. However I took the end plates off and found that the side tags have only been bent over to 45 degrees, not 90 degrees like the rest. It looks like there is a leak here on drivers side as the bolt threads are corroded. This would explain the dripping on this side and also, when I thought I was using water, I could not see any coolant on the bottom plate. Is the gasket rubber TP ? I shall confirm with the air line tomorrow and if this is where the leak is tighten up the tags fully.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've just had a look at the fins and bottom/top plates with magnifying binoculars and torch and can't find any damage to the fins etc. Not even marked paint. However I took the end plates off and found that the side tags have only been bent over to 45 degrees, not 90 degrees like the rest. It looks like there is a leak here on drivers side as the bolt threads are corroded. This would explain the dripping on this side and also, when I thought I was using water, I could not see any coolant on the bottom plate. Is the gasket rubber TP ? I shall confirm with the air line tomorrow and if this is where the leak is tighten up the tags fully.

Sounds promising Frank, maybe you can save it...:think:

Sounds suspicious to be honest more than bad luck. Worth investigating fully for a honest diagnosis before deciding best route of call.
Hopefully it's something simple Frank.

The seal is referred to an an O ring in the FSM so It'll be either rubber or Neoprene.
The special tool for crimping up the tags apparently won't fit onto the side tags, so the FSM shows the use of ordinary pliers to do these which probably isn't quite as easy and neat as with a bespoke tool?

All 4 corners have not had the tags bent over fully. Either by design or mistake.

I first noticed coolant on the floor after I had removed the expansion tank pipe to fit the new Vartas. I thought it was me spilling fluid. I hosed it all clean and took it for a run to get some pressure up and no leaks were found. After it had cooled I removed the rad cap and let it stand over night. That's when I found a puddle next morning. I suspect pressure in the rad may be sealing a rubber seal and therefore bending the tags over fully might seal the seal permanently.

Take it up with toyota, but good luck. I spent a small fortune on a brand new upper rear hatch, imagine my dismay when within 12 months over a dozen rust spots started to appear. They were not interested.

It's interesting. If you fit yourself, it seems you're on your own with Toyota warranty. When I had my Shogun, it was the opposite, the Mitsubishi parts warranty extended to them fitting a replacement FOC. I was speechless when I heard.

have you tested it for stray electrical current ?

TP could you give me a page reference for bending those tabs please ? Only 1 of my manuals has "cooling system" in the index but it does not cover the tabs. I've seen it before somewhere in my manuals though. Thanks.

Thanks TP. I've printed those out and they'll come in useful on Friday.

The garage I bought the Rad off have signed up to and have been accredited by the Motor Industry Ombudsman. This organisation settles unresolved disputes and parties have to abide by their rulings. I spoke to the MID representative today who was amazingly knowledgeable and helpful. I then managed to track down the MD at the garage (very difficult) and told him my complaint. He started going on about warranties and I said I was not claiming warranty but was claiming breach of contract (you can claim up to 6 years from date on receipt) by them supplying me with a product that did not last a reasonable length of time. He then said to come in and see his service manager. I politely told him my argument was directly with him and I would not be dealing with anyone else. I told him if he did not agree to a meeting the MID would deem this as a denial of my claim and I could then report the case on to MID. On mention of the Ombudsman he said he would be delighted to put me in his diary so I'm seeing him armed with car service history, paperwork and the radiator at 10.00 p.m. Friday. By this time my new radiator I ordered today will be ready for me in the stores next to his office. He won't know that until I tell him. lol.

I did find a leak today but as it was so little it gradually wetted the radiator and you could not see where it's coming from. I have photos of it dripping though.

IMG_0428.JPG

You're a star TP !! This reads 0.420". This is outside the range quoted in the manual of 0.362-0.378

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/

This is what most main dealers have signed up to. It covers, amongst other things, quality of new parts supplied to a customer whether or not fitted by that customer. A customer can complain to the garage up to 6 years from date of receipt. If unresolved you can refer the matter to the Ombudsman again up to 6 years from same date. If the garage ignore you this is deemed as refusal to accept your claim. The ombudsman's decision is binding on garage and consumer. I rang their helpline and they were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. There did not seem to be any scenario they had not experienced and told me how to approach the garage. In the above process warranties are a complete irrelevance.

It's straight forward but time consuming to prepare the case but worth it if it's over a £400 radiator.

Good on yer frank, i might try again if its up to six years, at the time i didnt have the time for all the phone calls and running about. So i didnt put the effort in i should of.

Back