Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Longest lasting 80 radiator please ?

Thank you Frank were all learning from this.
6 years Wow that's amazing know how.

The warranty is an add on in addition to your automatic rights. I am sure makers give a warranty just to muddy the waters. Now a 4 year warranty might be worth something but 1 year........well everything should last a very minimum of 1 year. Unless it's a wearing part like a brake pad off course. If your brake pads are worn out it's very difficult to prove that they should have lasted longer. A bumper should last the life of the car though.

A shining example of how the world has progressed - why do it right when only one customer in 10,000 knows the rules :icon-rolleyes:

I shall be seeing if their paperwork and premises have the Ombudsman notification anywhere. Their membership rules must state something about informing the public. I saw their workshop foreman a few days ago and he just said he would not do anything. He did not inform me of an appeals process so I came back and did the research myself. The radiator has a handle on it now so I can carry it along in one hand with my briefcase in the other.

This really pisses me off, we are basically ripped off by Toyota uk. There service and after care should be impeccable.

I saw the MD as arranged. He believed every word I said and did not really look at the paperwork. He will contact Toyota and complain. I then handed him my official notice of complaint as I said my argument was directly with him and if no joy I'd send everything to Motor Industry Ombudsman.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just had a phone call from Toyota dealer who said the radiator was out of warranty and there would be no payment. Explained warranty was an add on and had he ever heard of Sales of Goods Act to which he said "Yes" and offered me a free service and pass my complaint to Customer relations WTF. By this time I decided to get personal and said I bought the rad off you so why the hell can't you just bloody pay yourself. I'm not interested in any more irrelevancies. LONG PAUSE then he said £200 to which I replied if I went to Ombudsman I would ask for full figure so very minimum I would accept was £300 NOW. He agreed to this so matter over. Now he obviously has his own money through the dealership to pay so why all the fuss ?

Just had a phone call from Toyota dealer who said the radiator was out of warranty and there would be no payment. Explained warranty was an add on and had he ever heard of Sales of Goods Act to which he said "Yes" and offered me a free service and pass my complaint to Customer relations WTF. By this time I decided to get personal and said I bought the rad off you so why the hell can't you just bloody pay yourself. I'm not interested in any more irrelevancies. LONG PAUSE then he said £200 to which I replied if I went to Ombudsman I would ask for full figure so very minimum I would accept was £300 NOW. He agreed to this so matter over. Now he obviously has his own money through the dealership to pay so why all the fuss ?

Incredible...

Well done Frank :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah well done, youve inspired me to try harder to get money back for my upper hatch debacle...

Excellent! A victory for the common man! (no offence intended Frank):thumbup:

Perhaps another reason to buy genuine Toyota parts. Most, if not all, Toyota dealers have signed up to the Ombudsman scheme unlike other radiator suppliers who you'd have to take to the small claims court.

Im going to ring them monday and see if they are part of the scheme.
Any tips frank?

Only the Managing Director of the garage you paid your money to is answerable. So important to get his name and ask him to put you in his diary for a meeting. Take a notebook and ask for his name and title and write it down. Ask him if he has authority to talk about your dispute.There is no point in him referring you anywhere else eg the body shop as you have no contract with the body shop. So don't be fobbed off and keep your eye on the target. If you phone the Motor Industry Ombudsman website they will be able to tell you whether or not your garage is in the scheme. Also the warranty is irrelevant as a product or repair should last a reasonable length of time. You are claiming under Sales of Goods Act. Paintwork should last the life of the car even if it's a repaint/repair.

It's important to write a letter and take it with you and put it in his hand and make a diary note. They then have 2 months to reply in writing. If you don't get a letter in that time that is deemed as a non resolve.

These people know the rules better than they let on. They just act dumb so whatever you say they will understand.

My learning about all this started a few years ago when I bought my 100 from Jemca Croydon. It came with a certificate saying the car had been prepared "To the highest possible standard". When I got it home I found a host of things wrong including a massive hole in the (flat) spare tyre. They sent me a cheque for over £1000 to cover the parts needed which I fitted myself. Now here's the thing....nearly 3 years later I found that the rear air con had been disconnected, they had obviously sold it to me like that. I got a quote off local Toyota for repair which was £1200. I Phoned Jemca who just laughed at me. Anyway in the end they sent a cheque for £800 towards cost of repair. This was another garage which were a member of the Motor Industry Ombudsman.

I think the ombudsman works along the lines of Sale of Goods Act and law on contract. Under the latter you have 6 years to bring action against the garage. It's not a matter of things tailing off and then expiring at 6 years. You could have been supplied with a car with an engine that would not start. You don't have to claim straight away. Your claim is theoretically just as strong if you left it for 5 years, Obviously easier to claim straight away though.

Only the Managing Director of the garage you paid your money to is answerable. So important to get his name and ask him to put you in his diary for a meeting. Take a notebook and ask for his name and title and write it down. Ask him if he has authority to talk about your dispute.There is no point in him referring you anywhere else eg the body shop as you have no contract with the body shop. So don't be fobbed off and keep your eye on the target. If you phone the Motor Industry Ombudsman website they will be able to tell you whether or not your garage is in the scheme. Also the warranty is irrelevant as a product or repair should last a reasonable length of time. You are claiming under Sales of Goods Act. Paintwork should last the life of the car even if it's a repaint/repair.

It's important to write a letter and take it with you and put it in his hand and make a diary note. They then have 2 months to reply in writing. If you don't get a letter in that time that is deemed as a non resolve.

These people know the rules better than they let on. They just act dumb so whatever you say they will understand.

My learning about all this started a few years ago when I bought my 100 from Jemca Croydon. It came with a certificate saying the car had been prepared "To the highest possible standard". When I got it home I found a host of things wrong including a massive hole in the (flat) spare tyre. They sent me a cheque for over £1000 to cover the parts needed which I fitted myself. Now here's the thing....nearly 3 years later I found that the rear air con had been disconnected, they had obviously sold it to me like that. I got a quote off local Toyota for repair which was £1200. I Phoned Jemca who just laughed at me. Anyway in the end they sent a cheque for £800 towards cost of repair. This was another garage which were a member of the Motor Industry Ombudsman.

I think the ombudsman works along the lines of Sale of Goods Act and law on contract. Under the latter you have 6 years to bring action against the garage. It's not a matter of things tailing off and then expiring at 6 years. You could have been supplied with a car with an engine that would not start. You don't have to claim straight away. Your claim is theoretically just as strong if you left it for 5 years, Obviously easier to claim straight away though.
thanks for the detailed reply frank, ill follow it to the letter..

You seem to know your stuff Frank so if you can excuse the thread jack i wonder if you have any pointers for dealing with Nanni diesel who refuse point black to tell me what Kubota engine my marine engine is derived from . They change the engine codes and remove part numbers wherever possible thus giving them a monopoly .

No I don't know what to do there Shayne. Kubota presumably supply Nanni so have you approached Kubota? Perhaps they could help but difficult with no part numbers but presumably you have to use numbers when ordering from Nanni?

Aye mine is Kubota (we think) and they have tried to help but Nanni changes the part numbers so they are stumped . I have just wasted some time finding out what they do is illegal being anti competitive while at the same time learning the office of fair trading is now defunct . I found another official body that might be able to help , spent 40 minutes typing out a complaint loaded with legal phrases borrowed from different gov websites . And found out i had lost internet connection when i hit send thus losing all i had written :icon-rolleyes:

My bro runs different Nanni/Kuboto and bought new injectors from Nanni took them to a Kubota dealer who sold him the same genuine replacement for 1/3 of the price returning the Nanni ones unused which is great if you have 3 weeks to spare while waiting for parts .

Last edited:
This really pisses me off, we are basically ripped off by Toyota uk. There service and after care should be impeccable.

IIRC I did report here about someone who had a LC with the D4D engine? He had it fully serviced (all records present), at Toyota dealers, he picked up the truck after his last service and the engine was 'clattery', he pointed this out to the servicer manager who said this is normal!

Someone gave him my name and I went and had a look, the invoice showed the engine had been filled with 10/40 oil, this particular engine should have 15/40, unusual in a fairly modern engine but it is a fact on the earlier versions, the sticker on the rocker cover an instant reminder for the mechanic, previous invoices indicated the correct 15/40 had been used.

We both went to the dealer who know me from my own LC parts purchases, a quick chat and it seems they are trying to streamline their stockholding, and 15/40 oil was no longer being stocked. The phrase "it should be alright" from the service manager rang a worrying bell. We picked up a new oil filter and went to the local BP garage and grabbed some 15/40 oil, all changed and the clatter disappeared, the dealer has since gone out of business.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back