Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a new tent

hamba

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new tent and I know it's like asking how long a bit of string is but I hope you lot can point me in the direction of a good tent.

There are a few requirements that it should have.
It must have a separate sleeping area for us.
Must be really quick to pitch and break down/pack up.
Fit in the car.
Good ventilation for those hot nights but also keep in the heat for the cold once.
It must be dry.
An awning would be a bonus for an area where we could take our shoes off without getting the tent full of mud or dirt and create an additional room if we want too.

I've been looking at the Jet Tent F25X but I am a little worried about the packed size of 1.2 x 0.5 x 0.5m as well as the weigh at 32kg.
I have had a rough look and it should just about fit in the back of my 150 but then how do I add a fridge and the suitcases as well as all the other bits of gear? The other option would be to dump it on the back end of the roof rack but I'm guessing that lifting 32kg up there is going to get old and annoying really fast, nevermind the hazard of lifting it that height.

Any one have any other contenders or should I just bite the bullet and get a Jet Tent?

Cheers
Hamba

Have a good look at bell tents. They are amazing

We had a look at them but because they are roundish the pitched size is to large for what we want.

Oz Tent with the Tag-Along extra room and sides.

Haha, doesn't fit in the car and it's also longer than my roof rack which is 1.56m long so it will be sticking out a fair bit.

How many of you are there and roughly how big do you need the tent to be? If you thinking ground tent the Mountain Hardware Optic 6 is VERY easy to pitch and pack up (5 minutes), very light and very small. Its is one big space inside but you can buy a separate partition to make 2 compartments. We spent 10 weeks camping in one and it was great (2 adults and 2 small children).

There are 2 entrances, but with small awnings. Its not the best situation for putting on shoes if its raining, but it is doable if you are happy to compromise.

On a side note, we also have a large tent that takes ages to put up, which weights in at 25kg, and putting that up onto the roof rack is a receipt for hurting my ageing back. I wouldn't count on regularly putting a 32kg tent on the roof (remember its considerably more if you put it away wet) unless you're in your 20's, tall and strong (none of which I am!!! :) )

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oz Tent with the Tag-Along extra room and sides.

If you change your mind, I can highly recommend the oztent. I've had one for years: they're superb.

Admittedly they do need to go on the roof. I use mine in a long roof box if security is an issue.

If anyone is tempted mines sort of for sale... Rv4, front and sides plus solar fly, £650, £700 if you want the roof box too.

Have the oztent. I don't mind it.

But some of the Coleman instant and the tentipi, I feel, are better value. Lighter, faster to get going and pack away. And better in any weather other than perfect.

In the perfect weather, with the perfect site, in the perfect trip - oztent is ace!

@nick_the_fish what is the size of that tent, I can't seem to track it down, my Google foo is letting me down.
Thanks for the thought about the wet weight, that didn't cross my mind and as you I'm way past being in 20 something and definitely not tall and strong

I saw Garry's offer but we are 4 that need to fit in it which will be a squeeze in that 2 man tent.
Even if it was just me and my wife a 2 man tent won't be enough, she loves her space.

Don't know exactly what you are looking for Hamba but I bought a Vango 500 with awning, carpet and 2 footprint groundsheets for £180 on Ebay. Goes up in less than 10 mins (now we've put it up 3 times) stacks of room and a good quality item. Theres stacks of good s/h tents out there.

Thanks Nick, I think it will have to be a little larger/longer then that tent.

Don't know exactly what you are looking for Hamba but I bought a Vango 500 with awning, carpet and 2 footprint groundsheets for £180 on Ebay. Goes up in less than 10 mins (now we've put it up 3 times) stacks of room and a good quality item. Theres stacks of good s/h tents out there.
We had a Vango 6 man tent but after 6 pitches I had to start patching rips all over it and it got very damp inside after it rained. The last straw came when we were in Italy and there was more water inside the tent one morning then outside.
Which Vango 500 do you have? There are a few different versions but after my last experience with a Vango tent I would like to try something else.

Have a look at the Vango Airbeams - we have the 8 berth for me, the wife, 4 kids & the dog :sunglasses:

Thanks Nick, I think it will have to be a little larger/longer then that tent.

We had a Vango 6 man tent but after 6 pitches I had to start patching rips all over it and it got very damp inside after it rained. The last straw came when we were in Italy and there was more water inside the tent one morning then outside.
Which Vango 500 do you have? There are a few different versions but after my last experience with a Vango tent I would like to try something else.

Vango Icarus 500. used 8 times before we bought it and we've used it 3. there isn't a blemish on it, no rips tears
or leaks and it has stood some rain.
For the money it is nearly disposable compared with the new price of some tents out there. For the 2 of us its great, loads of room and we can get the bike trailer in the side of the first bit and the bike in the awning.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2000018018-COLEMAN-INSTANT-TENT-8/dp/B004E4IAPU

This is the coleman we use for longer stays. It comes up and goes down in about the same time as an oztent ( ~ 2 min ). And has enough space for 4 people to sleep in the back room, and still be able to host 4 chairs around a table to eat in bad weather.

We also have the rain fly (unsure if its needed, but we have it so leave it on ).

Packs down small enough to go in behind the passenger seat in the 105 and not hit the little ones legs dangling off thr car seat. Its not light, 16kg the spec says, i would say its only a bit lighter then the rv2 oztent. But you dont need to haul it onto the roof.

Additionally, it is packed when zippered down, so you flood it packing in the rain, and its still dry on the other end.

Note however, while we havent had this problem in about 2 dozen outings, some reviewers seem to have had leaks in the ground sheet. As far as I can tell, it is strong enough.

We got ours s/h off ebay for £120 all inclusive posted from Liverpool ( the prev owner had not even unpacked it from new ).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2000018018-COLEMAN-INSTANT-TENT-8/dp/B004E4IAPU

This is the coleman we use for longer stays. It comes up and goes down in about the same time as an oztent ( ~ 2 min ). And has enough space for 4 people to sleep in the back room, and still be able to host 4 chairs around a table to eat in bad weather.

We also have the rain fly (unsure if its needed, but we have it so leave it on ).

Packs down small enough to go in behind the passenger seat in the 105 and not hit the little ones legs dangling off thr car seat. Its not light, 16kg the spec says, i would say its only a bit lighter then the rv2 oztent. But you dont need to haul it onto the roof.

Additionally, it is packed when zippered down, so you flood it packing in the rain, and its still dry on the other end.

Note however, while we havent had this problem in about 2 dozen outings, some reviewers seem to have had leaks in the ground sheet. As far as I can tell, it is strong enough.

We got ours s/h off ebay for £120 all inclusive posted from Liverpool ( the prev owner had not even unpacked it from new ).
I've got the smaller version of that. Very easy to put up and take down. Packs away small enough too. It's just too small to stand up in and nowhere to sit if it's raining. Hence buying the oztent. Your one looks good kb
20170527_210834.jpg

I'm not convinced about the air tents yet but some of them do look good. I'm just not sure it will be strong enough.

The Icarus looks ok but it's a little too close to what we had before.

The Coleman looks like a good tent, I can't seem to find an inner room divider and or an awning for it or a place to buy one in the UK other then eBay.

Nick, is that the 4 man version? I might get that for when it's me and one of the kids going out for a weekend.

I'm not convinced about the air tents yet but some of them do look good. I'm just not sure it will be strong enough.

The Icarus looks ok but it's a little too close to what we had before.

The Coleman looks like a good tent, I can't seem to find an inner room divider and or an awning for it or a place to buy one in the UK other then eBay.

Nick, is that the 4 man version? I might get that for when it's me and one of the kids going out for a weekend.
Yes it is, though as with all tents the "4" is a bit optimistic. I have the extension for it too, so you can chuck stuff in out the rain without having to put it inside the tent. I bought it so i could go to my first lincomb as i'd not found an oz tent at that point. It p'd down the whole weekend as i recall and i didnt have anywhere to sit out of the rain except in my car and other peoples awnings, still, made friends quick enough!
IMG_5914.JPG

That looks perfect for what you've used it, a place to sleep. That will work well for me with that extension for like I said when it's me and one of the kids or even both.
However, it's not going to work when my wife comes with, she needs space and also wants to be able to stand in it.

I've seen some other types like the Jet Tent, black wolf and oztrail, they lighter in weight but longer in length which means they won't fit in the car.
What I really like about these tents is that they all have a 'sperate' room to the back and that one can get sides for the awning that turns it into an extra room.
It's the perfect compromise for when we camp for 2 or 3 nights or when we pitch it for 1 or 2 weeks

Back