Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a new tent

My bigger tent is a high gear aura, has the added porch too. It's easy to pitch even putting the extra porch on. Comes in 2 bags (porch in one and tent in the other) I put it up on my own in 15 to 20 mins.
They do bigger versions too.

It's stood upto wind and heavy rain and never leaked.

That's the tent and porch, has a panel to close the porch.
20171023_201638.jpg

The extra space the porch gives, we have the fold out table in there and have sat quite dry while it rains. (Daughter not impressed at photos being taken lol)
20171023_201823.jpg

I have no problem with both in the back with a fridge, drawers, porta loo etc etc.

That looks perfect for what you've used it, a place to sleep. That will work well for me with that extension for like I said when it's me and one of the kids or even both.
However, it's not going to work when my wife comes with, she needs space and also wants to be able to stand in it.

I've seen some other types like the Jet Tent, black wolf and oztrail, they lighter in weight but longer in length which means they won't fit in the car.
What I really like about these tents is that they all have a 'sperate' room to the back and that one can get sides for the awning that turns it into an extra room.
It's the perfect compromise for when we camp for 2 or 3 nights or when we pitch it for 1 or 2 weeks
Its a real shame the oz tent doesn't fold in half! Its ok for me as im on my own, it just squeezes in the car.
Hadn't used the Coleman since i got the oz tent till we went laning and i was told i may have to sleep in the car, if i took the oz tent i wouldn't have been able to do that so i dug out the Coleman. It was so quick to pop up and put away and as you say, just for sleeping in it was perfect.

Nick, yeah. With 2 adults and 1 little one ( at the time), the 8 man was the one we got.

@hamba these instant 8 are no longer sold new in the EU as far as i know. In the USA they are sold as an ozark trail tent i believe.

There are other such instant options.

As a first step though, have you decided if you want a canvas or this polyster modern thing? Things like a frontier stove are best used in the canvas types.

I'm not convinced about the air tents yet but some of them do look good. I'm just not sure it will be strong enough.

Just to say I have seen a few of these air tents in the flesh now and they are a lot stronger than I thought they would be. I was more skeptical about them than anyone but I am coming around to them. To be honest I think in 10 years time we'll laugh at how we used to walk around with heavy metal poles. If you're going somewhere that is likely to experience very strong winds then maybe stick to metal poles until the technology develops, but if your going to be going more gentle camping then may be worth considering???

As a first step though, have you decided if you want a canvas or this polyster modern thing? Things like a frontier stove are best used in the canvas types.
Ah yes, that is the trick question, canvas or polyester? To be honest, I would love canvas because I know it's good and strong but it's heavy, specially when its wet. On the other hand polyester has come on a fair bit over the years and it's light and dries in minutes but isn't as durable as canvas, that is my thinking of polyester and it might now be as good if not better then canvas.

I believe the Jet Tent and even the oztent are made of a combination of the two called polycotton or something along those lines. It's still heavy but a lot less maintenance then pure canvas if there are such tents even available these days and stronger then polyester.

@nick_the_fish I hear what you say, they have come on a fair bit over the years and in a few more years metal poles might be gone but for now I would like to sleep with knowing that if a storm hits while we're in the tent it will withstand it.

Its a real shame the oz tent doesn't fold in half! Its ok for me as im on my own, it just squeezes in the car.
It does, it's called the Jet Tent :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The Airbeams are plenty strong enough based on the storms we experienced in Auvergnes a couple of years back & on the Welsh coast...

9814C3AB-EAD6-4D72-A647-F2E27741FEF4.jpeg
I have a Vango Airbeam Kela awning tent that works perfectly on the side of my FJ. I don’t use it as I tend to sleep inside the truck so was going to sell in in the spring. Used just a handful of times with thermal groundsheet underneath so as new.

I just found this option and would like to know if anyone has experience with this or similar by the same company.

Khyam Chatsworth Plus

It has a few add-ons like an annexe which could work well for us.

Khyam usaed to be very good but lost some of their quality and robustness about 15 years ago.

These any good? The Outwell appears to meet your needs.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/outwell-palm-coast-600-tent-p372405

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/airgo-stratus-600-tent-p396762

I'd take a look at the Outwell Tent site. Loads of choice in polyester or polycotton. Inflatable poles or not. Awning, extensions, multiple rooms, vents, etc. The world's your lobster.

http://www.outwell.com/en/Products/tents

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about Khyam, its off the list.
The more I watch these air tent reviews on utube the more I think they are maybe the next step.
I just saw a video of a guy pitching the tent, well he had it hooked up to a pump while he was drinking a beer :lol:

hi

living in a caravan, i seen a lot of pump up type tents and awnings. they are popular, more and more people are using them.

G

Hmm sorry if this now comes up twice as I'm sure I just posted the info you asked for...and I'm not sure how to/if I can pm.

Looking for offers around £375 for the Kela inc thermal groundsheet, cut to fit and to fill the gap right up to the sills (the Kela one only goes under the main tent), Ortlieb waterproof bag (in case you want to put it on the roof rather than inside) an the bedroom (which is now extra cost from Vango).
I'm in Norfolk but travel so may be able to deliver somewhere.

here's the Vango info
http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/driveaway-awnings/1341-kela-iv-std.html

Tried to post some better pics but failed...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahandzero/26165927119/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahandzero/37911005882/in/dateposted-public/

@Animal Mother thanks for recommending Outwell, they do look good and its a lot of tent on some of them.
I thought 32KG was heavy but the Outwell Alamosa 6ATC comes in at 56KG, I'll need a crane to lift that one up.

@Gr8Yota I saw your offer but unfortunately that is not something we are looking for right now.

Ive had 2 Kyham Motorhome classics, there been reliable and survived a battering in the strong winds. Easy to put up on your own.

Back