Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a replacement 80

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, this isn't good news boys. I'm in Glasgow and just had a call from my neighbour. She says that the Fire Brigade have left now.

It seems that for reasons yet unknown, a fire started under the bonnet and pretty much there's not much left. At least not forward of the dashboard at any rate. Will get home tonight and see. Engine has melted, glass gone, tyres blown etc. Pretty sad if I'm honest. Never saw this coming. Have no idea what could cause it.

My worry and here's where I'd like advice, is what do I do next. Why do I think that ringing the insurance company will lead to me waving good by to the vehicle and all the bits that i could use? I could get a replacement, break GW, use the parts I need and sell the rest (or maybe Karl could help to shift bits for eg) But with the work I have done to get it mechanically sound including a JW front diff etc, I don't want to lose that. I am not ringing the insurance co just yet. Be grateful for any sensible guidance. I can just cancel the insurance aof course and say that the vehicle is being broken - that's my choice. But the best outcome would be to get money and keep the vehicle. How do I make sure that this happens?
Will post sad pictures to night when I have seen it. Pretty cut up and still nowhere near getting home.

So I shall be on the look out for a replacement. Great! Just what I wanted.
Chris

Shit mate what a bummer :( , but I cant advise on the insurance, will ask my brother who used to do motor insurance though.

That's really bad news Chris, :( it's always been one of my fears that with all the electrical mods I've done on my 80 this would happen to me, as far as I can I've ensured that the right size cables are used and all the connections have been done OK, but it is a worry all the same. Like you there are a lot of other mods on mine that the insurance might not pay for.
I hope your probs are sorted out OK

Feel sick for you right now :(

Is it not a option to take some of the bit's off before the insurance takes the vehicle away, I know this does not help with regards to diffs, but the air, winch lights... i.e all the extras that have not been damaged.

Prob worth claiming for the fire damage though, at least that way you get some money back. Down side of course is that you have a claim against you. Remember that they will also keep you excess so factor that in.

Not good at all mate!

Chris, that is bad news. Hopefully you can do what Chas and someone else did (Bat21?) where it is bought back for a very small fee.

Gutted...

OMG :shock: :sick: :sick: :(

Why not give the insurance company a call & be honest with them, have a deal that suits you both in some way. Tell them it's been a labour of love with many very bespoke parts that you would want to keep & see what can be done. I'm sure they will be happy to have a chat about it in return for a reduced payout, maybe even let you buy GW back as scrap, plus a small pay out from them. You never know :)

Must be mega frustrating for you being all the way up in Glasgow :evil: I'm gutted for you m8 :cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Truly sorry to hear about this Chris......feeling for you right now! :cry:

I have a feeling that the "rules" have changed recently and if you are going to write the truck off, then the Ins Co. do not give you the choice to buy it back from them .....in this case I hope I'm not correct.

Your doing the sensible thing, making sure of your options before you call the Ins Co.

Really sorry to hear that Chris. I'd give the insurance people a call. As fas I know a claim isn't registered unless you formally instigate it so there's no harm in having a chat with them and finding out what your options are. Good luck sorting it.

Oh my word.... :thumbdown: :cry: So sorry to hear it :(

chadr said:
I have a feeling that the "rules" have changed recently and if you are going to write the truck off, then the Ins Co. do not give you the choice to buy it back from them .....in this case I hope I'm not correct.Your doing the sensible thing, making sure of your options before you call the Ins Co.
I've just spoken to my insurers, Adrian Flux, and they say if the vehicle is a catagory C or D write-off you would be able to buy back, but if it's catagory A or B then no, it's when the damage would make it unsafe to return it to the road, I would think in your case Chris you would be able to buy back, that is if all ins companies do the same. Fingers crossed for you.

So sorry Chris. Hope you can rescue most of the fixes / mods you made and get a new GW asap. Really shocked!! Just glad it didn't happen while you were out in it somwhere.

Best wishes

Gary

Sorry to here the bad news cris.

If it was me I would ring them as soon as you get back and they will prob send someone out to write it off.

I would tell them under no circumstances will the truck be leaving your house.

Alot of time, hard work and money has gone into finding and building the truck.

Tell them that you want to keep the truck and losing it isn't a option.

From experiences like this in the past it will be good as far as money goes. I know you would rather not have the hassle.

Good look with it all mate, hope your not out of action for to long.

Karl

Crispin said:
Gutted...

I can't believe it :o
No, just tell us it didn't happen,

Tell us its a bad dream,

Yes, the trucks gutted

Graham

Truly sorry to hear this Chris :( .

If you do start haggling with the insurance company try & get plenty of evidence of market prices (this could be the one occasion where Chequred Flag comes in handy) Don't settle for book price. Although you probably realise all this anyway.

It's a sh*t situation, but remember it's only a car & you'll get another one :thumbup:

You might as well phone the insurers and start the ball rolling. As it's on your drive it makes it much easier to retain control of what happens. It's still your property until the insurance company makes a settlement you are sattisfied with so AFAIK even if you go down the road of making a claim and they won't let you buy back you can still say that's not a satisfactory solution I'm keeping it ...

Very sad for you mate, fire or a fender bender wiping out all the hard work is not nice :(

Gary Stockton said:
So sorry Chris. Hope you can rescue most of the fixes / mods you made and get a new GW asap. Really shocked!! Just glad it didn't happen while you were out in it somwhere.

Best wishes

Gary
Perhaps, it would have been better, if Chris had have been driving it.
A quick pull to the hard shoulder or whatever, and I am sure Chris would have had a fire extinguisher and stopped the damn fire real fast,
As he wasn't there, it was unfortunatly, just left to burn until the fire engines arrived.

Graham

Sorry to hear this, I have followed all your hard work & this is a terrible loss.

Sorry to hear that, it's really sad thing to happen.
Hope (and believe) you will do best out of the situation.

Back