Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for a roof tent

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi,

Looking for a fold over style roof tent with the attached room under. Ideally 1.6m wide, even better if it's proper canvas and not a plastic bag /nylon tent.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just ordered mine, needed a 4 person which limits the options a bit!

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, which one did ya go for (@moggy1968 ), out of interest?

We'll be needing a 4 person roof tent soon so would be interested to hear what you went for and what you think of it.

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, which one did ya go for (@moggy1968 ), out of interest?

We'll be needing a 4 person roof tent soon so would be interested to hear what you went for and what you think of it.
The TT02 in 2.2m size. I went to their lock up and had a look at one, it was pretty impressive tbh. Much lighter, cheaper and easier to use than 2 single tents. Not collecting it until dec as we won't be needing it until jan. We'll be in accommodation while we're away Aug-Dec https://tuff-trek.com/soft-top-tents.html

The TT02 in 2.2m size. I went to their lock up and had a look at one, it was pretty impressive tbh. Much lighter, cheaper and easier to use than 2 single tents. Not collecting it until dec as we won't be needing it until jan. We'll be in accommodation while we're away Aug-Dec https://tuff-trek.com/soft-top-tents.html

while I havent got a tent from them, I've had other bits and bobs off Dara at tufftrek, good guy to deal with and they do have good support for when its needed.

I'm just about to upgrade to a family tent and have narrowed it down to both the Howling Moon 2.4 and TT02 2.2. The two big differences that have me stuck are the HM weighing 14kg more at 98kg vs 84kg (though it is 20cm wider) and the HM having a 3 year warranty vs just 1 year on the TT02. The HM consistently gets very good reviews both from owners and in comparison tests. Unfortunately there's not much info on the TuffTrek tents by way of independent or comparison reviews. I'm off to Allrad next week so hope to get a really good look at a HM. Maybe a show deal might swing it.....

I'd be interested to know how people have found having so much weight up top. With my awning I'd be just over 120kg on the roof if I went with the HM. That's a big step up from my current 75kg with the James Baroud.

I'm just about to upgrade to a family tent and have narrowed it down to either the Howling Moon 2.4 or the TT02 2.2. The two big differences that have me stuck are the HM weighing 14kg more at 98kg vs 84kg (though it is 20cm wider) and the HM having a 3 year warranty vs just 1 year on the TT02. The HM consistently gets very good reviews both from owners and in comparison tests. Unfortunately there's not much info on the TuffTrek tents by way of independent or comparison reviews. I'm off to Allrad next week so hope to get a really good look at a HM. Maybe a show deal might swing it.....

I'd be interested to know how people have found having so much weight up top. With my awning I'd be just over 120kg on the roof if I went with the HM. That's a big step up from my current 75kg with the James Baroud.

I like the look of them @moggy1968 . Are they fairly new to the market? I remember seeing Tuff-Treks roof tents ages ago and liking the look of them but dont remember at the time seeing a family tent. On paper it seems to have a lot going for it compared to the Hannibal Family tent (larger, cheaper, extension etc...).

Looking forward to a user report once you have it in Dec.

Have a fantastic time (wherever you are going)

Once thing about these very large tents.. couple of people i know who have the tufftrek 2.2m ones have said that if the wind picks up, things get very unsettling up there. So keep that in mind.

Once thing about these very large tents.. couple of people i know who have the tufftrek 2.2m ones have said that if the wind picks up, things get very unsettling up there. So keep that in mind.
I think that applies to any rtt though to be honest. They are a big sail area! The lady I spoke to when I visited tufftrek was recounting how they got caught in a storm in Croatia and it was pretty anxiety inducing, spent the night holding the tent from the inside but it survived ok! The problem is until there’s a break in the wind they are tricky to fold back down!

Back