Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for advice

JonP

I am looking to to swap the standard 18" alloys and M+S tyres on my 150 for some wheels/tyres more suitable for winter.

I am thinking about some 17" steel wheels and either winter tyres or decent All Terrains.

Can anyone recommend a decent supplier in the south (I live in Guildford) that could sort me out wheels and tyres and any recommendation as to what the best tyres should be? I spend a lot of time on the road (approx 25k miles a year) but do head off road on a fairly regular basis though not charging through mud....

Cheers

Jon

Hi
first thing to check is do 17" wheels fit on the 150 i.e. over the break calipers

on a 90 series 16" wheels are standard and 15" dont fit due to lack of clearance of the rims over the brake calipers

Pretty sure that 17" will fit, but absolutely worth verifying. I suspect you'll struggle to find decent rims to suit - best is to find a Mickey Thomson supplier and look at their offerings. I haven't found any others that are advertised - there may be a supplier who can help but can't find the details - yet!

Are 120 17" rims not an option then? They come up on ebay every so often and maybe Karl or Stef have some?

Andrew Prince said:
Are 120 17" rims not an option then? They come up on ebay every so often and maybe Karl or Stef have some?

Thanks, I will check.

Does anyone have any advice on tyre choice?

Jon

Cant help with wheels. as far as tyres go i cannot fault the bfg at i run

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
BFG AT. They are excellent in the snow, as their name suggests they are a great all rounder and cope well in a lot of different surface types/conditions. They also last a long time and rack up some impressive mileages, so should work well for you with your 25K per year. The sidewall of the tyre is very strong and copes well with heavy loads and airing down, plus they pretty resistant to punctures.

Regarding wheels, I personally wouldn't be bothering with steels. If you can get Toyota 17" alloys that fit your 150 then they'll do nicely, I know that with winter tyres there's the opinion that it's best to mount them on steels as they are more likely to take a knock/impact from a slide in the bad road conditions, or from the pot hole minefield left after the cold weather, but thats more true for cars than 4x4's. Toyota alloys are so strong that you have to be planning on doing something pretty hardcore for them not to be up to the job.

If you want your wheel and tyre package to stand out from the crowd, have a look at the Blindo aftermarket alloy wheel, they might be available in your required pcd and offset, and you'll have to be going some to damage one of them.

Silverline stock Blindo - but only in a 16x7 size, which isn't useful for a 120 or 150! Unfortunate, really ...

They do do a steel wheeel in the right size and PCD though:

http://www.silverlinewheels-tyres.com/4 ... /steel/1/3

ModularSteelWheelBlack.jpg

or

Mach5CustomSteelWheelBlack.jpg

and this in a 17x9 with 00 offset and 6x139 PCD - just right for a 120 :lol: :

ModularSteelWheelSilver6.jpg

Crispin said:
BFG Do their AT in an 18 inch don't they? That would answer all the problems. (except cost :shock: )

edit:
So to General with the AT2s http://www.camskill.co.uk/m65b714s0p0/4 ... T2_AT_2_-_
I've done about 50k on a set and still going strong

edit:
No stock and not ETA

What is annoying is that whether I stick with the 18 inch rims or swap to 17 inch rims I don't seem to be able to get tyres which would keep the same rolling radius and at the moment I don't want to fit a suspension lift as it would invalidate the warranty.

Currently 265/60R18 so I think the ideal 17 inch would be 265/70R17 though Toyota seem to fit 245/70R17.

My local tyre bay have some 17's in stock bought in error. They are BFG a/t simex copies, he wants about £80 each for them, I saw them there yesterday. I can check the sizes if you like if its any use.

Cptsideways said:
My local tyre bay have some 17's in stock bought in error. They are BFG a/t simex copies, he wants about £80 each for them, I saw them there yesterday. I can check the sizes if you like if its any use.

Thanks for the offer but I have been all over the web looking at sizes and if the follow the BFG sizes then they wont be a direct swap. I am also reluctant to fit tyre copies given the mileage I do, I would rather go for originals if I can sort the right size.

Jon

Back