Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for an 80 Series Pref Diesel Auto

Ace Vinduro

Country Flag
scotland
I'm looking for a decent 80 series, ideally diesel auto, if anyone knows of one or is thinking of selling.

Also advice and where to look to import one please. Help gratefully received

Many thanks Brett

If your in it for the long term and want an 80 for life, import from Japan.
With the right importer, low miles and rust free examples can be found.

:text-+1: But they are slightly different. VX spec often has (nice) cloth seats, chrome bits outside and no axle lockers save for a limited slip in the rear. CDL is there though. Oh, and the import company will convert to mph and put a naff plastic fog light on the back that you can remove the first time you go off road.
Mine was like it had just left the factory at 9 years old.
There’s no problem getting bits and there’s nothing in the differences that should be off putting.

Last edited:
I really rate the 24V auto imports
I'm looking for a decent 80 series, ideally diesel auto, if anyone knows of one or is thinking of selling.

Also advice and where to look to import one please. Help gratefully received

Many thanks Brett

Do you want/ or are you bothered whether its 12 or 24Valve engine or could you live with a manual. Imports can be very good condition but a real premium price.

I run a 24V auto but have converted it as far as I could to UK spec and love it.

If your in it for the long term and want an 80 for life, import from Japan.
With the right importer, low miles and rust free examples can be found.
Thanks, agree on that. Any pointers to reliable imports would be great.
I've looked online but it looks a minefield!!

I really rate the 24V auto imports

Do you want/ or are you bothered whether its 12 or 24Valve engine or could you live with a manual. Imports can be very good condition but a real premium price.

I run a 24V auto but have converted it as far as I could to UK spec and love it.
Not too bothered 12 or 24 but really fancy an auto but a manual would do

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ahh Brett, good to see you made it. Welcome along. I think we've all been where you are now and there's always plenty of advice. But if I can boil it down to something really simple. You see every 80 ever created was one of the best vehicles ever built. There's no such thing as an 80 to avoid. Petrol, diesel, 12 valve, 24 valve early model, late model etc, all would take you to the moon and back. So here's the thing.

Buy the first good one that you see. We can help you determine what good looks like. It seems that you already have a very open mind as to what you'd like which really is the right attitude. We get people saying they want a green auto, with leather, with no more than 100k miles, full lockers, no scratches, no rips....well you get the idea. The narrower you make your choice, the harder you'll make your life.

From my perspective, mechanical stuff can be easily fixed. It's just parts. Interiors can be spruced up. My biggest foe is rust. I'm just no good at body work.

You might own a body shop so for you it's not a problem. See my point? Get once with a decent chassis and body and you're winning. Tailgates rust, front wings rust and rear arches rot out. These are old trucks so finding a minter is difficult.

We're a decent lot on here so if you spot something and ask an opinion, it's very unlikely someone is going to steal it from under you. We don't work like that. If you want an opinion, then post something up and we'll comment. Buying a truck from a member is always good, because it means that we've already done that bit. And we do sell them from time to time.

Just one point = you only need to click 'reply' rather than 'quote' or else it makes the threads unnecessarily long.

Also tell us what your plans are for it. If it's as an overlander, quite a few come up already built but people tent to shy away from those which really is a mistake.

Ahh Brett, good to see you made it. Welcome along. I think we've all been where you are now and there's always plenty of advice. But if I can boil it down to something really simple. You see every 80 ever created was one of the best vehicles ever built. There's no such thing as an 80 to avoid. Petrol, diesel, 12 valve, 24 valve early model, late model etc, all would take you to the moon and back. So here's the thing.

Buy the first good one that you see. We can help you determine what good looks like. It seems that you already have a very open mind as to what you'd like which really is the right attitude. We get people saying they want a green auto, with leather, with no more than 100k miles, full lockers, no scratches, no rips....well you get the idea. The narrower you make your choice, the harder you'll make your life.

From my perspective, mechanical stuff can be easily fixed. It's just parts. Interiors can be spruced up. My biggest foe is rust. I'm just no good at body work.

You might own a body shop so for you it's not a problem. See my point? Get once with a decent chassis and body and you're winning. Tailgates rust, front wings rust and rear arches rot out. These are old trucks so finding a minter is difficult.

We're a decent lot on here so if you spot something and ask an opinion, it's very unlikely someone is going to steal it from under you. We don't work like that. If you want an opinion, then post something up and we'll comment. Buying a truck from a member is always good, because it means that we've already done that bit. And we do sell them from time to time.

Just one point = you only need to click 'reply' rather than 'quote' or else it makes the threads unnecessarily long.

Also tell us what your plans are for it. If it's as an overlander, quite a few come up already built but people tent to shy away from those which really is a mistake.
I agree.
Replacing mechanical and electrical parts is pretty straightforward.
Bodywork can be a different matter. Unless done to a high standard it often doesn't replicate the original.

All about bodywork and trim... said it before.. mechanics are much easier to repair

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/97-98-TOYOTA-LANDCRUISER-80S-VX-AMAZON-AUTO-4-2-DEISEL-94000-MILES/323960217235?...Here 'ya' go answers all your needs...Impressive MOT History, Low miles, No rust.. If you got some cash and are in a position to Haggle it out you could get a bargain..Buying a cheap one isnt always the way to go. Unless you can weld, have good mechanical skills,Own Your own workshop, Heaps of spare time,, Id go for a pretty decent one if you can and enjoy it. While learning to weld. Master mechanical skills, And save up for a workshop...JMO:lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDCRUISER-VX-AUTO-4-2L-80-SERIES-1994/174078255477 Or This for example is half the price... Its been on face book for a while now and the price keeps dropping, But look at the pictures and the Description and the condition.. The seller is very Vague and not giving alot away. Its just an example of two different trucks.. This will no doubt have hidden issues... Its your shout But i know which one id go for if i were given the option...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/97-98-TOYOTA-LANDCRUISER-80S-VX-AMAZON-AUTO-4-2-DEISEL-94000-MILES/323960217235?...Here 'ya' go answers all your needs...Impressive MOT History, Low miles, No rust.. If you got some cash and are in a position to Haggle it out you could get a bargain..Buying a cheap one isnt always the way to go. Unless you can weld, have good mechanical skills,Own Your own workshop, Heaps of spare time,, Id go for a pretty decent one if you can and enjoy it. While learning to weld. Master mechanical skills, And save up for a workshop...JMO:lol:

Thats right Higgy, get it, buy a new steering wheel and use it. Not OTT price wise if its as solid as it looks. If I was looking for my first I'd deffo be interested in this.

That 24v auto import looks very good indeed.

Carbon copy of my truck when I first got it. I've also like Andy leathered it up and added the wood kit. Little tweak on the pump and it goes like stink. Faster than my 100 series. If you don't need the axle lockers an import 24v auto really is a lovely thing.

I'd echo what Andy said.
I'd buy that in an instant.
No EGR crap either..

Carbon copy of my truck when I first got it. I've also like Andy leathered it up and added the wood kit. Little tweak on the pump and it goes like stink. Faster than my 100 series. If you don't need the axle lockers an import 24v auto really is a lovely thing.

In 22 years of driving 80's I've only had the diff locks in twice on the road and that was when I was towing something very heavy ( like 14t) up a hill in a straight line. I've never used them in snow but the last bad show we had I had a 24V auto on the road with LSD and that coped admirably.

At least if it has no lockers you won't have to fix them,

Hopefully Jemca Croydon only did the mot and kept their spanners off it. I had a terrible, unforgiveable experience with them. Negligence bordering on the criminal.

Back