Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for camping ideas

Analogue man

So as you probably know the Maggiolina has gone so I'm without any camping options for next year so I've got to make up my mind pretty quickly on what I need.
The obvious option is to replace everything so a new Maggiolina, Front Runner rack and Ironman canopy is getting towards £4k. This is the simplest option.
Before I go down that route I want to explore the pop top options or even a high roof conversion, the prospect of being inside the 80 rather than on it or around it is really appealing to me.
So far I've found Desert-tec.de for a high top conversion but nobody for a pop up idea.
I don't ont want (can't afford) a Toms style body conversion.
Anyone seen anything relevant? Or any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks

Assuming you mean Tom Fahrzeugtechnik when you talk about body conversions, did you know they (TF) also do a Alu-cab style pop-top conversion for 80's and 100's. They start at around 7000 Euros so there not cheap, although they will be of the absolute highest quality and to be fair if you want an Alucab for the 70 series you're looking at something similar I believe.

There are also a few gus on here who have put pop-tops on their 80's so I expect they'll be along in a minute.

ive chopped the roof on the ,80.

No a proffesional job i hear but it does what it needs to for us.
im planning on making it a professional diy kit in the future but still on the bottom of the list. you could make a frame easy enough if you have half an idea to mount a tent to.

20180207_210641.jpg 20180203_134317.jpg

Assuming you mean Tom Fahrzeugtechnik when you talk about body conversions, did you know they (TF) also do a Alu-cab style pop-top conversion for 80's and 100's. They start at around 7000 Euros so there not cheap, although they will be of the absolute highest quality and to be fair if you want an Alucab for the 70 series you're looking at something similar I believe.

There are also a few gus on here who have put pop-tops on their 80's so I expect they'll be along in a minute.
Hi, I've had a look on Toms site but can't see just a roof conversion, where did you find the €7000 price?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ive chopped the roof on the ,80.

No a proffesional job i hear but it does what it needs to for us.
im planning on making it a professional diy kit in the future but still on the bottom of the list. you could make a frame easy enough if you have half an idea to mount a tent to.

View attachment 151987 View attachment 151988
You've got me thinking now Karl, my cousin has a fibreglass moulding company..........

This is a world away from German exotica, but I really like camping in the back of the Cruiser and find that an awning room and good storage on the roof go a long way for very little money.

When I don’t feel like towing we set the 100 up with a double mattress in the back and a bunk across the front seats. The awning room takes two minutes to set up and gives you shelter, privacy and overnight storage for bulky things like fridges and child seats, all accessible from the rear door.

I suspect you’re looking for something more permanent, but in my case the best thing about this setup is that it takes ten minutes to strip it all out and have the truck ready for Monday morning.

Shame this one from a certain Peterborough business is for a 78.

47ED510C-2F0B-469D-A081-8ADFD93FFDE8.jpeg

You've got me thinking now Karl, my cousin has a fibreglass moulding company..........

maybe its worth us having a chat ;)

Personally i like the outback tent on my truck because its alloy. its strong. with a bit hole in my roof the tent puts strengh back into it in my opinion. i dont know how fibreglass would hold out in a roll.

That’s cool! Have you any pics of inside Karl?

I fitted one to our Transporter and it makes a world of difference as to making the van useable. There is a really nice design, hi-lo roof, not the cheapest but if I was building another van it’s what I would go for

Cheers

I fitted one to our Transporter and it makes a world of difference as to making the van useable. There is a really nice design, hi-lo roof, not the cheapest but if I was building another van it’s what I would go for

Cheers
What's your frame made from and how are you attaching it to the roof?

Cheers

theres a couple on here somewhere.
not done inside yet. we have the bed in that hinges the same way as the roof so that can do up in the day etc.

There is a 20x20 box frame round the hole in the roof with a profile sheet to trim inside. The fibreglass roof is only mounted to the car by the hinges at the rear and the tent.
The frame is bonded and bolted using windscreen adhesive to the roof

Cheers

What's your frame made from and how are you attaching it to the roof?

The frame was 3mm steel ian. i was bothered about weight but the truck drives far better now than it did with the patriot rack and roof tent.

The fixings are internal as i didnt want to see them from the outside. some of the pop top suppliers just have gutter mount fixings. The gutter mounts make it quick and easy to fix

Last edited:
The frame was 3mm steel ian. i was bothered about weight but the truck drives far better now than it did with the patriot rack and roof tent.

The fixings are internal as i didnt want to see them from the outside. some of the pop top suppliers just have gutter mount fixings. The gutter mounts make it quick and easy to fix
Been looking Europe wide for a supplier but still can’t find one!
Emailed Toms but no reply. I might be forced into building my own as I’ll need something ready for summer. I’m thinking in aluminium, may need a scrap shell, have you got one?

Back