Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy: Rust on frame acceptable

Leave the diesel to get low then put a whole can of Wynns Eco Diesel in the tank. Others suggest filling the fuel filter with it or running direct from the can. If there’s no change after that I’d say no amount of diesel injector cleaner would help. Probably worth checking for EGR gunk I suppose if you’ve got the will and the time.

Leave the diesel to get low then put a whole can of Wynns Eco Diesel in the tank. Others suggest filling the fuel filter with it or running direct from the can. If there’s no change after that I’d say no amount of diesel injector cleaner would help. Probably worth checking for EGR gunk I suppose if you’ve got the will and the time.
Cheers mate. there are so many different conflicting reports regarding injector cleaner. I did what it said on the tin. Min 50litres and chuck it in so I put 60 in just to be safe... when I started stripping the turbo all pipes were clean as a whistle. I admit when I found it was just a broken wire I didn't go any further and put it all back. PS how much is a whole can of Wynns eco ... Not in cost ..... ie 1lt /5 ltr.... Wynns is what I used but just the small bottle type..

Are you still out there Bovien?.. Just wanted to apologise for the hijack of your thread.. Hope it hasn't put you off buying a Land Cruiser... Most threads start off with a problem related question, But by the end we are arguing about Sub-nucleonic particle Physics.. Its how it goes sometimes... Sorry

I hope it has put him/her off buying THAT LC, the rust is pretty shocking; and if its from a truck thats been under-sealed a few times over the last few years, you can only imagine what is under that seal layer. There's plenty of other LC120's to look at, so unless there's a compelling reason ( price ? ) I'd walk away.

PS how much is a whole can of Wynns eco ... Not in cost ..... ie 1lt /5 ltr.... Wynns is what I used but just the small bottle type..
Wynns Eco Diesel is in 1 litre cans. Ive never run stronger than 1/2 can in the last 1/4 of a tank but have heard of stronger being used.

Bovien, apologies, Threadjack over.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hope it has put him/her off buying THAT LC, the rust is pretty shocking; and if its from a truck thats been under-sealed a few times over the last few years, you can only imagine what is under that seal layer. There's plenty of other LC120's to look at, so unless there's a compelling reason ( price ? ) I'd walk away.

If he's keen on buying a 120 and knows what he is looking at then he could have a long search on or get lucky. I had mine on the ramp Sunday and injected the inside of the chassis with old oil with a big syringe. I also gave the underside another couple of cans of M/C chain oil. Its a sticky mess now but provides a barrier from moisture, salt etc. The beauty of it is if its hit by grit, stones etc it self seals and its cheap.

We've run Landrovers and Toyotas in parallel for years now - horses for courses. Defenders are expensive to buy (but no more so that 70/80 series Cruisers) but easy to get parts for and easy to fix. From the factory Landrover build quality has been "mixed" at best (often shite), but I look at the state of 90 and 120 series chassis, or 80 series bodywork, and I'm not sure its much different. My old 200 Tdi Defender was brilliant and apart from me breaking it, was completely reliable - less maintenance than our 80 Series, TBH. I think its traditional for Landcruiser owners to throw rocks at other manufacturers, especially LR in the UK, but I'm not sure the epic reputation of the Cruiser is entirely warranted. And (whisper it) but given a choice, I tend to grab the keys to my 110 Defender over the 80 Series most times.... I love the 80 Series, I do... but...

We've run Landrovers and Toyotas in parallel for years now - horses for courses. Defenders are expensive to buy (but no more so that 70/80 series Cruisers) but easy to get parts for and easy to fix. From the factory Landrover build quality has been "mixed" at best (often shite), but I look at the state of 90 and 120 series chassis, or 80 series bodywork, and I'm not sure its much different. My old 200 Tdi Defender was brilliant and apart from me breaking it, was completely reliable - less maintenance than our 80 Series, TBH. I think its traditional for Landcruiser owners to throw rocks at other manufacturers, especially LR in the UK, but I'm not sure the epic reputation of the Cruiser is entirely warranted. And (whisper it) but given a choice, I tend to grab the keys to my 110 Defender over the 80 Series most times.... I love the 80 Series, I do... but...
I agree, The rust issues on Landcruisers is bad , Then so are all 4x4s.. I think the reason Toyota have a slightly more reliability score ,Is nothing to do with Toyota, Its the enthusiasts like folk on this forum who keep them reliable, Like my old Colorado it would have never reached 285,000 miles. if I hadn't spent 4yrs welding it up..

Back