Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Low oil pressure

AlexDukes

Country Flag
great_britain
So after fixing a fueling problem, it's on to the next issue.

I am slightly worried about my oil pressure. When I start the car in the morning the pressure gauge reads 3/4, but when the car is fully warmed up and even under heavy load the gauge is off the scale past Low! The oil level seems fine but I am worried that I have a leak.

Any ideas

Alex, Firstly - Toyota oil pressure gauges are notoriously shitty.

Secondly - have you ever had sensible readings from it, or has it always read that?

Third - have you got the correct oil in it? Some muppet once put 5w-30 into mine and the gauge only just moved, especially once it had warmed up.

Fourth - Really the best way to test it is to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge straight into the engine. Any decent garage should be able to do this as you'll need a proper gauge.

Finally, have you had a good look around the engine bay, or under the truck for an oil leak? Any leak that is affecting the oil pressure will be noticeable. If you not noticing anything, and you're not having to top up your oil you probably don't have an oil leak. Also, take off your radiator cap (with the engine COLD), and just check that there is no evidence of oil in there.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on

+1 on the OEM gauge. The OEM sender unit can be adjusted so If the pressure is OK when checked with an accurate/reliable gauge you could adjust the factory gauge to read higher on the scale if it bothers you that much.

Thanks to Nick_The _Fish and Towpack for the comments. As a newbie here having members share all their problems and experience is going a long way to reduce my ignorance. These reliable old buggers do come along with some quirks, ie the unreliable oil pressure gauge, that are invaluable to learn about. It reduces the stress levels. Cheers!

I had a similar issue when I bought my 80. Very low OP readings on the dash gauge but fine when checked with a mechanical capillary gauge. I bought a new OEM sender unit which cured the problem but then decided to open up the old one to find it could be adjusted. Probably could’ve saved the cost of the new one if I’d done that in the first place!

Back