Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Low roof bars for 120 series?

mr_magicfingers

I've been seeing some folks in the US with roof bars that mount to the inside of the roof rails on a 120 which makes for a much lower profile mount for things such as a roof box. Over here, all I seem to be able to find are the ones that sit on top of the roof rails and have large clamps that clamp around them. Any ideas where to find the low profile ones or am I going to have to make my own?

Was thinking that I could make some by sliding some bolts into the rails and then make up some simple square box section steel bars with some flat bar welded on the end which could then bolt to the bolts slid into the roof rails, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I 've often thought the roof bars available give a crappy look, and are not 'up ' to the job as they are.
I had Astra van once, similar arrangement, and ended up using 4 bars for any load to sit on properly .
Not sure what you mean by sliding some bolts in rails, although I get the general picture of what you are trying to do.

They use either the OEM Toyota/Lexus roof bars (now discontinued possibly) or 1820 aluminium extrusion. There is also some US companies that make crossbars that fit flush to the roof rails.

The standard roof rails do have a slight curve in them but you can slide bolts into them if you remove the rear plastic cover for the rails

Guess this is the look your after. Certainly looks cool on an 80 series.

1587379155767.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've been seeing some folks in the US with roof bars that mount to the inside of the roof rails on a 120 which makes for a much lower profile mount for things such as a roof box. Over here, all I seem to be able to find are the ones that sit on top of the roof rails and have large clamps that clamp around them. Any ideas where to find the low profile ones or am I going to have to make my own?

Was thinking that I could make some by sliding some bolts into the rails and then make up some simple square box section steel bars with some flat bar welded on the end which could then bolt to the bolts slid into the roof rails, if that makes sense.
Are they like 'Areo' bars, the bars that are more like an oval (as opposed to square) more aerodymamic and don't stick up in the air flow so much try to save on MPG.

An empty rack has been reported to increase the cost of fuel over time from anywhere from 1% to 15%, while a fully loaded roof rack will add 20% to 50% to your fuel bill.

The fuel increase is an interesting one, as anything that breaks the airflow pattern as determined in tests by the manufacturer, could do it, a snorkel for example.
It is obviously debatable about costs without scientific discovery, although it is generally accepted that a roof rack/load will affect cost.
Having said that, I had on my 78, Thule roof bars (gutter mount on this) with a Lovejoy roof rack mounted on top for 4 years, with no noticeable increase over tim. That particular set up had a small factory wind deflector fitted, only of any use when not loaded so even with that set up the increased fuel costs was negligable. At least I never got to that stage between fill ups where Im thinking, firkin hell !

The fuel increase is an interesting one, as anything that breaks the airflow pattern as determined in tests by the manufacturer, could do it, a snorkel for example.
It is obviously debatable about costs without scientific discovery, although it is generally accepted that a roof rack/load will affect cost.
Having said that, I had on my 78, Thule roof bars (gutter mount on this) with a Lovejoy roof rack mounted on top for 4 years, with no noticeable increase over tim. That particular set up had a small factory wind deflector fitted, only of any use when not loaded so even with that set up the increased fuel costs was negligable. At least I never got to that stage between fill ups where Im thinking, firkin hell !
You wouldn't notice the extra cost in fuel, because, I've just looked, you're in the top 100 'Rich List' and your initials are RB. :laughing-rolling:

I told you not to tell anyone, obviously my bung wasn't big enough to keep you quiet. I'll have every one and their dog knocking on the door of my holiday island now for a sub. And not the underwater sort !

LFD Off Road - Ruggedized Crossbar Lexus GX470 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Lexus GX 470 Modular Factory Rail Support System - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

2 of the US offerings, they really do have some fantastic kit available compared to the poor showing from UK sources

Mark, really interesting - not seem anything like that before and when it stated “no drilling” and “fits it existing rails” that got me to have a quick look at the rails on top of my 120 and I had never realised they look like bolts could be inserted! Shouldn’t be too hard to ‘home make’ something similar.

Easy to do a DIY, I found some 90degree angles to mount my frontrunner rack to the roof rails after Frontrunner EU refused to sell me the mountings on their own. The 1820 aluminium extrusion works well as a diy option

Easy to do a DIY, I found some 90degree angles to mount my frontrunner rack to the roof rails after Frontrunner EU refused to sell me the mountings on their own. The 1820 aluminium extrusion works well as a diy option

Just looking at aluminium extrusions, so many variants! Do you have a pic / link of the 1820 profile you mentioned - I can’t seem to find it. Thanks.

You wouldn't mean R.B. as in Rich Bastard, would you ?
You did give me a big enough 'back hander' never to reveal you real name.

See you on the island, Richard 'rich bastard' Branson, oops, I'll give you a partial refund. :laughing-rolling:

I now have my creative head on - and all sorts of ideas are floating around for various designs. Think an order of a few bits to play with and mock up some ideas is in order. :)

I now have my creative head on - and all sorts of ideas are floating around for various designs. Think an order of a few bits to play with and mock up some ideas is in order. :)
What head did you have on before your creative head....and did they wear face masks, social distance, and only had one form of exercise per day each. :thumbup: :laughing-rolling:

Back