Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lower Ball Joint Bolt Size

MarkW

Country Flag
morocco
Can anyone confirm what size bolts are needed for the lower ball joints on a 90/95?

I need to replace toyotas chocolate ones with something reasonable and now where near the truck at the moment.

Chocolate ones :think: are these the ones you mean ?
Ball joint 001.JPG

14mm spanner size and a 32mm thread length , doesn't look like a fine thread to me .

It's been troubling me this Mark because its the joint rather than the bolts that fail , or perhaps you want new bolts to go with the new joints .
Either way i had to say it just to get it off my mind and we don't want anyone's wheels falling off when it could have been prevented with just a few words .
ballfail.jpg

Exactly why I asked Shayne, new bolts with new joints. Was supposed to get both replaced for Morocco last year but my mechanic let me down and only got one done. The bolts on the one he didn't do were looking likely to shear trying to undo them.

He's finishing the job next month and has asked for some new bolts. They look to be M10 x 32 from your earlier post

Well the bolts are not M10x32 1.5mm thread. I'll have a look and post back when I work out the correct size.

Did you get the bolt size Mark I'm in the middle of replacing ball joints for the mrs and with the bolt in hand it looks like M10 1.5 ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
M10 fine thread I believe Shayne. I bought M10x1.5 and didn't fit. Gen one from Toyota

oh dear , sorry if i led you astray with my earlier comment , to explain - because my collie bolt problems have always turned to be because i need a 1.25 thread so i have come to think of 1.5 as normal and the 1.25 as fine thread .
Thanks for replying :thumbup:

Last edited:
Mark, has your Lower ball joint got any play in it?

I recently just removed my lower control arm and checked for movement in my LBJ and there is zero movement/play. This is at 200k miles. I'll be sticking them back in.

Slight play in mine when I had them done about 190k miles. Mine does get a lot of abuse in Morocco though

Mark, has your Lower ball joint got any play in it?

I recently just removed my lower control arm and checked for movement in my LBJ and there is zero movement/play. This is at 200k miles. I'll be sticking them back in.

You know your trucks full history Beau , i ordered both upper and lower for both sides before taking the arms out because i don't know the history , turns out there's no play at all in the originals but then there shouldn't be at 110k miles . I will swap them anyway .

Yeah, from all the failures I've heard from most of the time people didn't check the condition of the ball joint or there was some play prior to the failure occurring.

Shayne, you're replacing them with OEM stuff right?

hmm I hope they're as good as quality as OEM. I've not heard of that camelot brand before but I would assume roughtrax would source quality parts, especially for such a vital part.

Everyone here in the states opts for OEM when it comes to that ball joint as a lot of other aftermarket stuff hasn't fared well.

I thought about it Beau and i reckon ball joints are 10 a penny nowadays , much heavier and more powerful cars pretending to be 4x4's use em and like as not a bargain basement Daewoo has the same joints as an Aston Martin because they are produced in the same factory .

Yes, I get that Shayne, but unlike various other joints Toyota didn't design the 90 series LB joint that great having it below the actual arm. This means forces are forever trying to separate the two pieces. Toyota actually changed this design on later models.

Anyway something like this IMHO would go OEM. If they fail, at say low speed, they tend to break the CV's,, Upper ball joint, discs and all sorts. Moderate to higher speeds can easily lead to more severe cases. It's not a part that when fails, you can "limp" your way home...

Roughtrax complete set L+R .... no problem and good quality

Back