Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LSPV removal

Knucklehead

My LSPV is on its way out so thought would ask for experiences for those that have removed these buggers.

I have looked at the nice rust free examples on MUD, 'just undue the nuts blah' but back in the salt world, mine is a solid blob of rust.

Looking at my options, I thought about removing the whole bracket and LSPV as one but the thought of having to drop the fuel tank to tackle snapped top securing bolts does not look fun.

So that leaves me with the securing nuts on the LSPV.
Going to take it for granted that these will most likely snap, even if they don't, reckon the bolts will be rusted solid in the body of the LSPV.

As I am junking the LSPV, would it be feasible to just drill these bolts out through the body of the valve?
Thinking they will be made of harder stuff than the usual cheese Toyo bolts.

Any previous experience tackling this lump of rust appreciated.

Dave.

I heat most nuts and bolts with a blow torch. Propane has been good enough for the majority with the acetylene only coming out on special occasions. . I replace with stainless where I can and daub with copperslip.

I had to drop the tank when my nuts snapped off. (ooerr!) and actually it's really not a big job. I replaced my LSPV though I didn't junk it. Little begger would not come off.

Dropping the tank Chris would be an option and may end up doing that.

Heat will probably work for the small securing nuts but the bolts running through the body might be a different story.
Still might be able to drill out the twin bolt through the body but like this idea on mud of cutting the bracket and bolting/welding on a new piece:

'Hows this for a rotten LSPV and twisted mounting bracket? lol.
The valve/bracket/mounting bolts were one solid piece even after soaking for a month straight.

Thank god I had an extra bracket and a new valve on stand by.
To my surprisethe rearmost bracket bolts came off no problem but the 2 behind the gas tank would not budge.
Instead of messing around I just cut the old bracket then cut the new one so they overlapped, drilled a hole and bolted the 2 pcs together.'

LSPV.jpg

Last edited:
With some patience ive been surprised at times what ive actually been able to get off with some heat. Even when the heads have been completely corroded ive got mole grips etc on them and they start to turn..

Running a reciprocating saw behind the LSPV to cut through the bolts and locating tab on the LSPV body worked for me, no need to drop the bracket.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers. Will weigh up my options when tackle the little sod at Easter time.

No amount of rust will defeat red hotness but obviously this can't be used in many places.

Back