Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lubricating retractable door mirrors

Jureb

Hi,

My door mirrors are making a loud sound when they're retracting (motorised). I was thinking it would be a good idea to lubricate the cogs/gears, mechanism inside with a silicon grease or something. Did anyone open the mirrors and grease the insides? The vehicle is now 18 years old and the mirror mechanism was probably greased only one time (in the factory). Pictures with "unscrew this screw, remove this and that" are welcome :smile:.

Last edited:
Do you have a UK 90 series or is it a Japanese import?

I'm only asking because AFAIK, the original UK models didn't get this feature, unless it was introduced with the facelift models around 2000/2001?

I suppose if your LC is 18 years, that would make it one of the last UK 90s - so would be a facelift model.

So it's not a UK model at all, it's left hand drive KDJ95L with a 1KD-FTV motor, facelift model year 2002. So a continental Europe model I suppose :p ?

I would be interested to know as well, my 100 is 20yrs old now and the retractable mirrors don't make any grinding sound . . . . . yet!

Do your mirrors make a loud noise when you retract them by hand , if not its the motor in the mirror that is making the noise and that is sealed , you should hear a motorised sound as the mirrors retracts but if its harsh like metal to metal then it may need a complete dismantle if that is possible .

Good question Jureb, one that would apply to a lot of us, whether with manual or electric retractable mirrors.
Hopefully, someone will have an answer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tony, just seen your post about sealed motor in electric version, are there no other moving parts that would benefit when required, by lubrication ?

Do your mirrors make a loud noise when you retract them by hand , if not its the motor in the mirror that is making the noise and that is sealed , you should hear a motorised sound as the mirrors retracts but if its harsh like metal to metal then it may need a complete dismantle if that is possible .
The loud-ish operating sound can be heard when I push the button to fold and unfold the mirrors (motorised mirrors). There however aren't any loud cracks or weird loud bangs just a constant clicking noise when the motor is operating. It's not a metal to metal sound more like a "very dry and dusty" sound. Sounds like the gears inside are dry. Maybe the sound is normal, I don't know.

Tony, just seen your post about sealed motor in electric version, are there no other moving parts that would benefit when required, by lubrication ?
Could you post link to this post, I can't seem to find it.

not that I know of , on my 120 if I retract and fold the mirror by hand and then unretract by hand the folded mirror there is no resistance or noise , if I put the key in the ignition it automatically unretracts with the motor in the mirror and you can hear the smooth operation of the motor , if I retract the mirrors by using the switch they do not auto retract with the key in the ignition and I have to use the switch to unretract them , but I can still unretract each mirror by hand with no noise or resistance .

Jureb, that was post 7, but it was a question, not any further info.

Edit. I think I misunderstood your request. I posted that in response to TONYCY11 info in post 5.

If you are referring to the free manual download, sorry can't do links, Tony and I are forming a different club for that. hahaha. (joke)
Do a search on 120 series for 120 Workshop Manual (Factory Service Manual) that is the ongoing thread created by Simon5030, to get your free download

Last edited:
Back