Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

M25 New Speed Limit New Restrictions!!

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Guys just came across this not so how true but something to consider either way?

6881E48D-DBB5-4B3C-B87D-FE246277E653.jpeg

source data?
looks extremely unlikely TBH. Standard SP30 is 3 points, ban only comes in after 30mph over speed limit, but requires a court attendance.

I've seen similar but this looks exaggerated, the cameras are apparently being turned on and the lanes closed when not required to discourage flooring it.

these are new camera's that were put in the last 2 years, some of them also avg the speeds. The section from J5 to J2 was 'enabled' about 2 weeks ago.

However, cameras new or old, best to stick with the speed limit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
so what exactly is the fake news here ? the fact that there are cameras ? or that 70mph is the speed limit ?

Neither. The fake bit is the suggestion that you would be nicked if you were doing 72, get 6 points and an instant ban if you're doing more than 90.

The speed limit is set at 70 but the point at which you'd be considered for prosecution is effectively if you are doing 70 + 3 mph + 10% which is a shade over 80 mph

As car speedos are accepted as being up to 10% inaccurate the needle could be bang on 70 and you'd still get a ticket.

This would mean (true or not) that some roads set at 70 would have different 'tolerances' to other roads at which point a good lawyer would have a decent shot at getting you off I'd think.

so what exactly is the fake news here ? the fact that there are cameras ? or that 70mph is the speed limit ?
Neither. As Chris explained above, but als you have to be summonsed for 6 points or for a ban, it's not done automatically.

Around here (we are just off the M25) folks have had tickets at 53mph in a 50 enforced zone. I guess around the variable sections they really mean 50 when they say 50 etc, and it's by and large all averages now. The section from clacket lane through to the M23 exit for example has 3 average speed sections back to back.

And they are pretty aggressive at the Dartford crossing north bound. But southbound over the bridge seem to be very lax (?!)...

Around here (we are just off the M25) folks have had tickets at 53mph in a 50 enforced zone. I guess around the variable sections they really mean 50 when they say 50 etc, and it's by and large all averages now. The section from clacket lane through to the M23 exit for example has 3 average speed sections back to back.

And they are pretty aggressive at the Dartford crossing north bound. But southbound over the bridge seem to be very lax (?!)...
I got flashed by a variable speed camera on the m25 when they said 40mph and I was doing 43, never got a ticket but that may have been ‘cos I was driving an ambulance!
I think the 10% +2 margin has probably gone these days.
The problem on the M25 is they keep sending the limit up and down, and for no apparent reason, especially at night. You can be trundling along at 70, then there’s a gantry saying 40, then the next says 60, then 40 etc etc. There has been a suggestion this is done deliberately as a revenue raiser, along with reducing the tolerance.
It is worth noting that, contrary to the propaganda, the introduction of speed cameras made no identifiable change to the death rate on our roads for the 10 years after their introduction. The articles suggesting they did tend to look selectively at certain years to prove their point but if you look at the overall figure, they made no difference. The single biggest factor in reducing road deaths has been vehicle design.
It is also worth noting that speed is rarely the principal causative factor in accidents, especially on motorways, which are statistically our safest roads. Where speed is a causative factor it is not speed itself, but inappropriate speed, that may even be below the speed limit.

Last edited:
The fake bit is that you will receive an automatic ban (generated by the cameras) if you do over 90mph from Tue 8th Jan - which was one of the the main claims in the original post.

I can't also see any speed camera threshold set to 2mph over the national speed limit i.e. 72mph - that's less than 3% leeway, that simply wouldn't be practical, or enforceable IMHO.

Though I wouldn't be surprised by anything, if revenue generating is the main goal rather than road safety.

Last edited:
In some areas there was zero tolerance, whatever your speedo said. My friend was done for doing 32 mph in a 30 mph speed limit on the Thames embankment. We were staying for a few days at her house and she showed me the ticket.

Could be worse
3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F25%2Fc7%2F19%2F25c71901c3f7145f895bdcf9817e6ecb--snipers-slow-down.jpg

Just as a sobering point regarding this. I was driving through a local village the other day with a 30 limit. Round here, they have mobile speed camera vans that tend to lurk round corners and I knew that they were about in the area, so I kept bang on 30. I was glad that I did, because a young lad shot out from nowhere chasing a ball and I stopped to within a foot or so of hitting him, any faster and it would have been a different story.

Back