Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Made the leap...

knicko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Evening all. Just bought myself a 53 plate Amazon VX 100 series, 5 speed auto, 118000 miles.
According to the original 2003 Toyota sale receipt within the paperwork, it’s Ashdown green (which is my favourite LC colour) with Sandstorm beige leather interior.
My Toyota journey started in 2010 when I bought a dark blue 3rd gen Hilux Surf 3.0TD, then ‘moved up’ to a Land Cruiser Colorado (in the same lovely dark green). I loved both of those vehicles but reluctantly moved them on when the dreaded chassis corrosion looked like it was going to be a recurring MOT problem.
I had always looked longingly at the Amazon models but was put off by the running costs of the 4.2 lump.
After the Colorado was sold, I got myself a 63 plate Volvo XC90 which was very tidy and low miles. Whilst the Volvo was a lovely, sensible car, I found I was still combing through Auto Trader looking at Amazons.
In the end, I had a word with myself! I only do about 7000 miles a year so why not just accept the poor mpg and get the car I always wanted?
Hey presto... now got my Amazon and traded in the Volvo!
The Amazon isn’t perfect, but seems an honest car, fully serviced throughout its life by Toyota and is clean underneath apart from some corrosion in one of the rear wheel arches. The engine runs sweet and everything works, apart from the RDL which just flashes.
The handbrake used to point at the roof and just held on the last click, so that was the first job I sorted within a few days of purchase. Adjusting the cog wheel resolved this in minutes (brand new handbrake cable recently fitted by previous owner) and now the handbrake works great.
Just spent £250 with Global Tint, getting old wrinkled tint removed and nice new dark black tint applied to all glass from the B pillar back.
Also been shopping at Roughtrax and my next step is to carry out a belts, filters and fluids service, including all idler pullies. The cam belt was replaced at 81k but that was in 2011, so well overdue on time.
I’m also going to change the oils in the T/Case and front & rear diffs. While I’m doing that, I’ll look at the RDL. On initial inspection, the actuator hasn’t rotted off the rear diff casing, so maybe I can get it working again.
I’m also going to blank the EGR and remove the whole intake system to give it a thorough clean.
Oh, and those bonnet struts are going to need changing... already squashed my head a couple of times!
Nick
Redruth
Cornwall
UK

Well done :cool: I do love a Green LC :icon-wink:

Looking forward to seeing some pictures :thumbup:

Sounds like you've found a decent one and once baselined, should provide reliable service.

Before the dark window tint...

Attachments

• 22ECDCBE-BEE1-4DE4-8D30-E9A80A9A3B80.jpeg
    22ECDCBE-BEE1-4DE4-8D30-E9A80A9A3B80.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 53
  • CBAF9A7C-7680-4684-BC5B-A7704EE29D30.jpeg
    CBAF9A7C-7680-4684-BC5B-A7704EE29D30.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 48
  • 1ED2D1D4-56D0-4074-ADB3-BF2A81499A49.jpeg
    1ED2D1D4-56D0-4074-ADB3-BF2A81499A49.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 4B5B403E-F945-4DBD-963F-3791CBD7F585.jpeg
    4B5B403E-F945-4DBD-963F-3791CBD7F585.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 51
Félicitations - looks good. Welcome to the hundreds.

... and after the new tinting
Looks a bit gangsta - hope you're not going for blackened lights as well?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Félicitations - looks good. Welcome to the hundreds.

Looks a bit gangsta - hope you're not going for blackened lights as well?

Haha! Definitely not

Very, very nice. I just can't bring myself to pay £18,000 for a 18 year old car. I'm looking all the time to replace my Colorado which is in fantastic condition but maybe I need to give myself a good talking to and make the jump as its also my dream car.. The other problem is I remember not long ago you could get a really nice straight 100 for around £12,000.

Back