Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

magician needed - electrics

karuhi

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone out there can help with the below problem.
I have a yr 2000 V8 petrol Japanese import 100 series cruiser - love it... mostly!
About a month ago i picked up a trailer from a mate to find its lights and wiring were shot. I replaced the block on the cruiser first as mine was broken, pretty sure i wired it right... but i do remember wondering about two wires. That didn't fix anything on the trailer so i took it to an auto electrician and they fixed it. From there i drove 3 hrs south, loaded up timber and went to drive home - no dash cluster lights - nothing. Stopped the truck and when i went to restart it wouldn't go. Had a look in the fuse boxes and found nothing. Got the phone out and googled the problem to find there was another fuse box in the front passenger foot well. Found the offending 15amp spade fuse and replaced. Needed a jump start and off i went, all good. The other day i was towing a trailer and found the R for reverse light glowing more or less as i pushed the brakes - but everything else worked fine. Then my wife on the weekend was towing the trailer and it started loosing power and stopped - gridlocking the one way road system for half an hour. The Repco (car parts retail store) man came along and checked the battery to tell her it was dead and so was the alternator, put a new battery in and limped to her sisters place (who's husband is an agricultural diesel mechanic) He pulled the alternator out put in new brushes and replaced the regulator as it was burnt out, replaced the same 15amp fuse in the passengers footwell - started it up, and still no dash lights and no juice coming through the alternator.
PLEASE PLEASE does anyone have any ideas.
cheers -Justin.

Hi Justin and welcome.

First of all I would have the wiring for the trailer socket checked including any beeper relay on the indicators. Take it right back, find this beeper and remove all the wiring connections temporarily. You may well find water in the unit or a wrong connection somewhere. Then check that fuse again hasn't blown, replace it if it has.

I would expect this to resolve your problem. If it doesn't, begin looking for any wiring that may have been trapped and cut around the tow bar mounting, that sort of thing.

Once you've established what is wrong and why, check the trailer wiring along every mm of the cable and at every connection. Consider replacing it in its entirety along with the beeper and socket and wire to a known correct diagram.

If this still doesn't sort the problem, we need to think again.
Let us know how you get on.

Richard

Back