Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Major battery drain???

cbv8

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
I have a major battery drain on my 02 D4-d Collie i have tried the multimeter job ie removing all the fuses one by one but cannot see any voltage drop what am i doing wrong? I have fully charged the batteries again one is brand new purchased two days ago so can't be the batteries can it? Please any help or advice very much appreciated as i really want to start using my Collie it seems i fix one thing and another fault appears:disappointed:

Have you checked any circuits that don't go through the fuse box(s) but connect direct to the batteries with large fusable links?
This would be things like glow plug/air intake heater, winch connections etc. I had a fault on the intake heater relay on my 80 draining the batteries.

Disconnect rear bumper lights overnight and test the battery in the morning .

I will try all that you suggested thank you :wink:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like i said one battery is only two days old from Tayna a Bosch s4 027 70ah i did have to return one exactly the same as was faulty which is making wonder if they actually have a faulty batch. I am a complete thicko on anything electrical so please be kind i have a multimeter and a battery voltage tester the tester is simple enough but the meter does confuse my minuscule brain :neutral: In simple terms how can i actually tell if the battery i bought is yet another dud i charged it back up from dead to 13.54 volts which steadily dropped is this right as i said i now very little about such things so an idiot guide would be brilliant :thumbup:

Ok an update i have checked the batteries after leaving them connected overnight and voltage in both is 12.30 started the car briefly then re checked volts both batteries reading 12.5. All i did yesterday was take the face of the radio/cd player and unplug the alarm switch under the bonnet i am really hoping i have found the source of the drain any thoughts please?

I would expect the drain with the vehicle parked up and locked with alarm set to be less than 50ma. I get around 35ma but the drain fault I had was getting up towards 400ma which was enough to flatten the batteries over several days to give starting problems.

I am hoping i have found the cause i have reconnected the alarm switch under the bonnet with but left the radio face off i will check later if there has been a major drain?

Last edited by a moderator:
In simple terms how can i actually tell if the battery i bought is yet another dud i charged it back up from dead to 13.54 volts which steadily dropped is this right as i said i now very little about such things so an idiot guide would be brilliant :thumbup:

I think that to test the battery is actually OK, you need a proper battery load tester rather than just checking the voltage with a multimeter.

I use this one, but theres cheaper ones around:

13.54 sounds high, but was that straight off the charger? Immediately after they've charged they have a 'surface charge' which means the voltage reads higher for a while, or until the battery has a load on it (eg headlights). Once the surface charge has gone I'd expect it to be somewhere between 12.6-13.2.

The surface charge disappearing would account for the voltage 'steadily' dropping!

I think the battery is fine, and sommat is just using the juice!

Last edited:
Right i have just ordered and identical battery make and spec to the one i just bought replace the old one on my Collie so it will have two brand new batteries fitted tomorrow then i can rule those out :relieved:

Ok still waiting for new battery to arrive i checked the battery voltages this morning and they are both 12.3volts should they have dropped this much overnight?

I had a similar phantom load that cost me a new battery on our Civic & my mechanic just fitted a battery isolator switch in the passenger footwell.Not elegant but effective & it wasn't until a few years later we found that the alarm was going off for some unknown reason , maybe because one of the interior light door switches was faulty.

Sounds a quick fix but i would if possible like to find the fault when you say the alarm was going off do you mean actually sounding or had the siren been removed etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
something was tripping the alarm but because the car is parked on the edge of our property we couldn't hear it going off. The dogs barking might have been a clue !

If only it were that simple my Collie is right in front of my bedroom window so if the same scenario i would know in a minute :lol:

Back