Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Making a daily drive

jd1983

Alright i recently bought a 1972 fj40 in hopes of being a daily driver to get me and my 2 year old daughter around . I have quickly realized why old point style ignition systems went away has anyone on here upgraded theyre system and what do they recommend?

Is it only 30 years? I remember having Piranha electronic ignition on a Morris 1000 and that seems like 40/45 years ago?

Me too, but obviously not as far back as Chas would be able to remember... :character-oldtimer: IIRC, the first electronic systems were made from pieces of wood and stones...:whistle::lol:

I did fit a contactless rotor on my 1955 A30 (it had a 1071 MG Midget "A" Series engine in it) and that would have been circa 1971 = 44 years ago... :doh:blimey, where has all that time gone to? :violin:

Your quite right Chas and Piranha was actually a British company!

My boss was bought the Australian side of the business from a close friend about 30 years ago and hes been selling the kits ever since.

We used to have kits sent over from the UK for British cars and we developed kits for Australian and American cars and sent some of those back to the UK. :icon-ugeek:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi there Ben

i never knew you could do this,,is it easy to fit?? if it is i might want a few for the cruisers we have in stock. can you send to the UK?

:thumbup:

Hi there Ben

i never knew you could do this,,is it easy to fit?? if it is i might want a few for the cruisers we have in stock. can you send to the UK?

From what I understand, yes very easy! :icon-cool:

I will speak to my boss and find out some details for you. :icon-wink:

What engines are in your cruisers that you want to convert?

thats would be great, mainly 2f and f145

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 145
Its easy i had an old pickup i did this with using a diferent brand , I have a 68 mustang that i switched completely electric using MSD brand fires up no issues

DSC_0083.JPG
Gents
I have just bought an electronic ignition and an upgraded coil for my 2F £145.00 as a kit from this company.
They are very helpful (Talk to Frank Jolly)

Sounds good DIC. :thumbup:

Giles, might be easier and cheaper to use the company DIC has used above. We do still sell the kits at work, but obviously sending one internationally is more expensive and complicated than sourcing from a UK based company, + if you have any problems technical help would be easier from the UK company. :icon-biggrin:

Back