Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Maltec Germany

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Anyone here had an 80 converted by Maltec in Germany?

Also, has anyone seen one of their conversions in the flesh (metal)?

I am considering going down the Malrec route but not sure which is the best way forward. Buy an already converted one or get my 80 converted, I have owned this truck for 7 years now and have been right through it mechanically, so I quite literally know it inside out.

To buy an already converted one will mean having to 'get to know' the mechanics of a 'new' truck..... If I get mine converted would no doubt mean a trip to Germany and a long build time.....

Any thoughts? Anyone got the T-shirt?

My first thought was that you've answered part one of your question. Better the devil you know, better to convert your own truck IMO.
Whether to have Maltec do it is another thing altogether. This throws up a few thoughts of its own.
Firstly, why? I mean, what do Maltec do that you or someone like Julian at Overland Cruisers would/could not? Could you take inspiration from them?
Second, if you do it nearer, and there's any issues, it's not so far to go to get them sorted.
Third, if you're involved in the build, like the truck, you know every inch of it and can fix anything.

A link to Maltec would be good to have a looksee :) there seem to be loads of Maltecs.

Thanks SC.

I like to know what makes my LC tick, so when it stops 'ticking' I know what to look out for.

To buy an already converted one would indeed mean me not knowing what is going on behind the scenes. If I could get involved with the build that would be even better.

This conversion would be beyond Julian's normal scope.

Have a look at their web site for more info.

I've been looking at their website.
For the 78 they work together with http://www.extremfahrzeuge.com/land-cruiser-hdj80-expeditionsmobil.html and I've seen some of them in the flesh at the buschtaxitreffen in Germany.
They look like extremely well finished expedition trucks.
They have them on display at the holiday fair in stuttgart in january http://www.messe-stuttgart.de/cmt/ . It's 200 m from the airport terminal. Maybe worth a visit.
If you can wait until June, go to https://www.abenteuer-allrad.de in Bad Kissingen. Almost all of the builders will be there.
Btw I've seen one for sale two years ago. Asking price was around 90 000 €...

I see your dilemma Bat. They do look like the conversion is done to an exceptionally high standard. My only other thought is that you're throwing half a cruiser body away. If that's what you want to do then I would have thought it could be done at home but you would be reinventing the wheel and it may well cost more to do. Getting the finish as good would be tricky. An old BT box body could perhaps be used but it would be a massive amount of work.

The best route for familiarity I can see is to have them convert your existing truck.

I will be researching what to do with my FZJ-80 as regards continue with RTT or do a chop-top or going to the extreme of Maltec (or other suppliers like that)
This guy (Brazilian on world tour) has done a great job on his Defender
Wife would like pop-top (as seen other 74, 78 modified Landcruisers and German done so 1st rate); with tiolet, shower, and the kitchen sink!

Price vs comprise (as regards how far you want to go; and willing to pay or get doing the work yourself) and what seasons, countries, terrain vs creature comforts.
Lots of choices!!
Methinks will do as much as I can before going to pop-top chop
Africa, stans, Russia on the plan in next few years

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back