Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

manifold studs

Knucklehead

Have been having a read through the 1HDT FSM in prep for pulling the Turbo etc.. to get at a cracked heater pipe.

Noticed this mentioned for re-assembling the turbo/manifold and have no clue what it means:
(b) Install the turbocharger and exhaust manifold assembly
with the twelve nuts.
Torque: 400 kg-cm (29 ft-lb, 39 N m)
HINT: Apply 330 kg-cm (24 ft-lb, 32 N-m) of torque
when performing additional tightening of loosed nuts.

No doubt being a dumb ass but torque the nuts to 32N-m, get that but what is the 'HINT' relating to?:think:

Was also wondering for anybody who has tackled 20 year old nasty rust solid manifold nuts if using heat on them could possibly damage the head?

The thought of snapping a stud in the head does not thrill me so heating the buggers seems ideal.

Thoughts as usual appreciated.

Dave.

Try them gently first after applying good old fashioned graphited penetrating oil overnight or ideally longer. You may be surprised. I would replace the nuts as a matter of course with a tiny smear of copper ease just in case.

As for the 'Tightening loosed bolts' I can only think it means reassembly onto used studs, OR, re tightening after a period of running in. Not sure but looks like something that's got lost in translation to me.

Last edited:
yeah, more of a confusing hint than helpful one.
Will go for the 32nm and call it good.

Is the general thoughts heat near the studs is not a good idea?
Will certainly be giving them some magic liquid for a few days and might even try a can of freeze gas I picked up.
Probably useless but was interested to see if works.

RT1227.jpg

Heat should be fine if needed but with pinpoint accuracy tiny nozzle oxy acetylene or oxy propane. Try it first gingerly.

Never used a nut splitter but can see their worth. It's just on most jobs (such as this one) there's not the room to get them in.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
options and access is going to an issue for sure if they don't budge. Specially the couple near the firewall. Should be fun. Cheers for replies fellas anyhow.

Dave.

They should all come out ok, mine did. Some the nut came off, some the nut and stud came out as one. Its a steel head and steel sruds, so that helps a lot.

Cheers Dave.
Guess after a few years of snapping rusted bolts on my old rig, could see the same with these sods.
Have set of new nuts and studs ready so happy if either come out.

Dave.

Back