Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Many thanks to Roy Duffy of 4X4obsession.co.uk for a great weekend

Shayne

Guru
As usual for me the pics and vids are all on somebody elses's device but i hope to add some later . So for now i would just like to say thank you to Nick for inviting me to meet Roy who is a gentleman in every sense as his patience and pleasant , skillful attitude towards recovery gave testament to when the muppet in the black truck got it wrong , and David who was kind enough to show us some lanes on Sunday :clap:

As an overview until pics become available , we arrived late Friday night to a camp in the Snowdonia area (i'm no good with Welsh names) , dark and cold so not much to do but set camp , heat some stew and meet before bed .

Next morning we headed out to a Forest , met the Ranger who gave us a general idea of where we can go and places we might want to avoid (because i don't have a snorkel) and away we went , so many tracks i'm sure we didn't drive half of them .
I wouldn't call it extreme off road but it was challenging enough in places that i managed to lose a side step , blow out a tyre valve and put a minor crack in a wheel arch flare , but hey it was fun . My valves stick out to much so they will all be replaced (recommendations welcome) . Rock/tree sliders are on the "to do" list anyway , and don't buy a black truck unless your willing to work at keeping it looking good and shiny , I've had plenty of practice at that .

All of the above might have been avoided but we only worked out when it was time to return to camp that my centre diff lock isn't working , but again it was fun and a big thumbs up for how capable the 80 is even with open diffs .

Not extreme but i wouldn't want to navigate that forest in the dark . Nick's saw come in useful to , post that up mate i gotta get me one of them i was astonished how good it was :thumbup:

It was dark when we got back to camp but we had plenty to talk about so Nick did his chef thing while i heated my pressure cooker on the coleman then we chucked some logs on Nicks BBQ and gathered under his awning with chairs to eat and for a few hours of banter .

The night brought wind and rain but i think everyone slept well (strange that i sleep longer camping than i do in my own bed at home ?) so we woke to a very wet morning later than some of us expected to . It didn't matter though , no rush drink your tea pack up in your own time because today we meet Roy's friend David who was taking us laning . A 40 minute drive and we met David at a sort of takeaway road side cafe which had a shed with a wood burning stove in it at the side so you could warm your bum while eating your bacon and egg butty :lol:
Thinking on it now i hope somebody thought to take a photo of that place , it was very obviously a new modern building but built in a rustic style which brought Romania to mind . Great menu and great food anyway followed by a good day of giggles opening and closing many gates marked "not suitable for vehicles" until it was over too soon and we had to say good bye with promises to meet and do it again . And we will for sure , even supergran who hates being cold was sad to leave so a huge thank you to all for that because finally she accepts off road 4x4 is as much if not more fun in the winter which is grounds for celebration in itself :greetings-clapping:

Last edited:
She scrubs up well :icon-biggrin:

4AAC5B3C-2278-4B98-94B7-561E7D312211.jpeg

And only some minor jobs to do

7AFBE923-ACFA-409D-8C51-3CD8AC9C5190.jpeg

3BAED610-87CB-46FA-BEBD-7B321D95FDE8.jpeg

FAD67A99-C955-4A5F-A341-250E78116B7E.jpeg

Even got a break in the rain to do this with the roof tent

FDFBB9B7-9804-4162-B73E-9500D84DE330.jpeg

Still smiling and wondering at myself because only now I realise I’ve been under a dark cloud for months and in need of a break . Two days of fun and I feel brand new :thumbup:

You just missed me :)

Aye bollox i'd have an ass like a nuclear reactor if i ate your spicy cooking !

You know the crack i got my first wage since September today and i might have earned as much stacking shelves in a supermarket for a week , but hey its a start . Not earning is one thing but with boats the bills never stop making me reluctant to spend on the truck or anything else for that matter .

There is light at the end of the tunnel and a light bar still in its box in the spare room so onwards and upwards is the only direction left to go :music-rockon:

Glad you feel like that shayne its always a jump start to get out and enjoy our country side.

Remember a wise man once said if it f***s or floats going to cost you a fortune

I am.gutted i missed the trip

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Think I arrived at the campsite at 2050 after a 4 hour drive, had a mooch about and found a fairly flat part, parked so my head would be above my toes when sleeping
20200124_213404.jpg

Then Roy turned up half hour later, can you tell hes into lightbulbs?
20200124_214902.jpg

No photos of shayne arrival although I could hear him long before he got to the entrance of the campsite.
The next morning
20200125_075816.jpg
20200125_075903.jpg
20200125_080000.jpg
20200125_083247.jpg
20200125_083255.jpg
20200125_083545.jpg
20200125_083551.jpg
20200125_083624.jpg

The line up, ready for some fun
20200125_091412.jpg
20200125_091431.jpg

We filled up with diesel and headed for the pay n play site. Some of the views on the way in.there were many gates to open and close before we got there but luckily....
20200125_100857.jpg
20200125_100908.jpg
someone remembered to bring a gate bitch with them :)
20200125_101116.jpg
sorry... there was a land rover present
20200125_104959.jpg
after a chat with the guy in charge we followed shayne up a steep, rocky incline which would have been crap.to reverse back down, luckily there was a tree blocking the exit
20200125_105243.jpg

They both laughed at the size of my saw but once they'd had a go with it they were mighty impressed and the tree was soon moved out the way
20200125_110313.jpg

Bit of a leeny bit but due to the lr being skinny it disnt look as impressive as the cruisers squeezing through (videos later, no piccys)
20200125_112049.jpg
20200125_112147.jpg

Roy had lost his phone and after a wee run found it back at the chopped tree
20200125_113842.jpg

A view of somewhere I dont know the name of...
20200125_122746.jpg
20200125_122833.jpg
20200125_122855.jpg

And a water run that the organiser tried to get us to go through as soon as we arrived, and then showed video of two range rovers dieing whilst trying to attempt it.
20200125_131338.jpg

As usual for me the pics and vids are all on somebody elses's device but i hope to add some later . So for now i would just like to say thank you to Nick for inviting me to meet Roy who is a gentleman in every sense as his patience and pleasant , skillful attitude towards recovery gave testament to when the muppet in the black truck got it wrong , and David who was kind enough to show us some lanes on Sunday :clap:

As an overview until pics become available , we arrived late Friday night to a camp in the Snowdonia area (i'm no good with Welsh names) , dark and cold so not much to do but set camp , heat some stew and meet before bed .

Next morning we headed out to a Forest , met the Ranger who gave us a general idea of where we can go and places we might want to avoid (because i don't have a snorkel) and away we went , so many tracks i'm sure we didn't drive half of them .
I wouldn't call it extreme off road but it was challenging enough in places that i managed to lose a side step , blow out a tyre valve and put a minor crack in a wheel arch flare , but hey it was fun . My valves stick out to much so they will all be replaced (recommendations welcome) . Rock/tree sliders are on the "to do" list anyway , and don't buy a black truck unless your willing to work at keeping it looking good and shiny , I've had plenty of practice at that .

All of the above might have been avoided but we only worked out when it was time to return to camp that my centre diff lock isn't working , but again it was fun and a big thumbs up for how capable the 80 is even with open diffs .

Not extreme but i wouldn't want to navigate that forest in the dark . Nick's saw come in useful to , post that up mate i gotta get me one of them i was astonished how good it was :thumbup:

It was dark when we got back to camp but we had plenty to talk about so Nick did his chef thing while i heated my pressure cooker on the coleman then we chucked some logs on Nicks BBQ and gathered under his awning with chairs to eat and for a few hours of banter .

The night brought wind and rain but i think everyone slept well (strange that i sleep longer camping than i do in my own bed at home ?) so we woke to a very wet morning later than some of us expected to . It didn't matter though , no rush drink your tea pack up in your own time because today we meet Roy's friend David who was taking us laning . A 40 minute drive and we met David at a sort of takeaway road side cafe which had a shed with a wood burning stove in it at the side so you could warm your bum while eating your bacon and egg butty :lol:
Thinking on it now i hope somebody thought to take a photo of that place , it was very obviously a new modern building but built in a rustic style which brought Romania to mind . Great menu and great food anyway followed by a good day of giggles opening and closing many gates marked "not suitable for vehicles" until it was over too soon and we had to say good bye with promises to meet and do it again . And we will for sure , even supergran who hates being cold was sad to leave so a huge thank you to all for that because finally she accepts off road 4x4 is as much if not more fun in the winter which is grounds for celebration in itself :greetings-clapping:

Hey Shayne

Great write up!! Really enjoyed meeting you and Helen!! Absolutely fantastic sharing the weekend with lots of offroad adventures with you!! Nick was a star too in the recovery situations as well as his legendary chef skills!! Fajitas in the dreich field were very welcome as was the Magnum for desert.

I really appreciate the three of you taking the time to drive from Watford and Barry, to share a weekend of good tracks and great laughs!!!

Looking forward to the next one already.

Thanks
Roy

0B8108A2-80F3-4510-BD6A-B2148309443F.jpeg
Thanks Gary this is what I have and the local tyre place said they will fit any I want but the only have the same or longer , I’m on her iPad so I can post a pic but I will edit in a moment when I can use buttons .

Edit

I liked the look of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-90-D...ng-Pair-Tubeless-Valves-11-3-mm-/173556948300 but the tyre guy reckons not good because there is no give being bolt in .
He thought these might offer a compromise https://www.ajs-shop.co.uk/acatalog/TYRE-VALVE--COMPLETE-42753_F8_9000_E_FR.html

edit

hey and what about instagram ? wasn't me ?

Last edited:
For the very first time i logged in to the forum on my phone , i uploaded a file and its sat there right under my type box - but there is no "use image button" or whatever it normally says on my laptop ?

VID-20200127-WA0003.mp4

Attachments

• VID-20200127-WA0003.mp4
    8.3 MB · Views: 105
The angle ones could still get hooked on something. I've used the small ones for years and never damaged one, wheels filled with mud, rubbing on trees etc etc.

They're about the length of 2 plaatic valve caps.

Guess the tyre is ok just the valve?

I follow 4x4obsession on Instagram, seen this nice black 80, thought looks familiar and how thoughtful letting people test their winch equipment :think::eusa-shhh:

I follow 4x4obsession on Instagram, seen this nice black 80, thought looks familiar and how thoughtful letting people test their winch equipment :think::eusa-shhh:

I should have charged them for letting them play with all their toys me thinks :lol: .

I'm sure it will end up on here and i actually hope it does because as recoveries go it couldn't have gone any better had you set it up as a training exercise . I wouldn't have been stuck if i could lock the diffs but once i was in there was no getting out with the rear passenger wheel sat in front of a big root preventing me reversing and a big tree right in front of me , any and all effort to get out under my own drive just dragged me deeper into trouble .

Roy's the man of the hour though , nobody else had to think and he was loving it :thumbup:

And yeah if those valves work for you then they are good enough for me so thanks for that ;)

sorry if any of thee havent come out right, my pooters so old it cant hack editing

All looks good to me :thumbup:

It will likely be the weekend before i can get supergran to sit down and post whatever pics/vids she has on her phone .

Back