Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Map light/private light bulb change

Jureb

Hi,

So I can't seem to figure out how to open this plastic enclosure to change the bulb in the map light assembly (Toyota calls it private light). Where should I pry, what is supposed to come off? Usually the transparent cover comes off but I wasn't successful as I didn't want to force it too much.

1610298270559.png

Never had to change them, but I want to put LED in there, like I did with the other interior lights. I'm certain its a case of carefully pop the clear lens out, best if you have plastic pry tools, screwdrivers and the like cause cracks too easily

Last edited:
At the base of the transparent lens in the middle about level with the switch's pry it open preferably with a plastic trim removal lever ( you can buy a set on ebay for less than £5 , and are great for removing trim without scratching or marking it ) or use some kind of slim flat blade gently .

Last edited by a moderator:
At the base of the transparent lens in the middle about level with the switch's pry it open preferably with a plastic trim removal lever ( you can buy a set on ebay for less than £5 , and are great for removing trim without scratching or marking it ) or use some kind of slim flat blade gently .
I'm not sure if I understood you right. Yellow or red circle area? Or somewhere else?
1610302895329.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I tried to open this transparent plastic but I wasn't successful. The lens just don't bend in order to pop them out. I also pressed hard on these spots where the clips are but nothing really happens as the lens don't bend in when pressed there. The lens bend in on the left and right side but really can't be removed from there. If someone has a first hand experience please share.
When you're looking at the picture it all makes sense and it seems easy but in reality...

Hi Jureb I have researched how to remove for bulb replacement because it should have been a easy case of flipping out the lens , it seems I was wrong , the instruction's are , using finger pressure , prise the reading lamp assembly from the roof lining , disconnect the wiring connector and withdraw the lamp , prise the base of the unit and not the lens at the top side in the middle above the switches between the back base unit and the cover with a flat tool for the back base to unclip then just change the small bayonet bulbs , Sorry for the mis info Jureb in most cases like in the 120 you just flip the lens out .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for making a research, quite helpful.
I googled the whole map light assembly and found this useful picture of assembly from the opposite side. I suppose I have to unclip the clips of the light's base - yellow circles and remove the base to access the insides.
1610625589370.png

Back