Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mapping App Worth Buying IMO

Gr8Yota

Country Flag
scotland
Back in 2009 I went to Norway using the in car nav (Subaru) and a version of Sygic on a Nokia N95.... The car nav 'lost' Demark completely on the way home... the Sygic was fantastic. Fast forward to now and I found a version in the App Store. Cost me £25 for the whole world with lifetime traffic and HUD added too... (From £11 if you just by Europe).

Recently used it in tandem with my Garmin on a quick trip over to Amsterdam, I have it on an iPad mini in a Ram mount... Again the mapping and navigation was way superior to the Garmin.

I just thought I'd mention it as I suspect it is much overlooked and I would definitely recommend it for anyone travelling on road to their off-road destination.

That looks great. How accurate are the roads maps and are there any off-road/green lanes too?

Looks great but I see unfortunately it is only lifetime updates for Android

That looks great. How accurate are the roads maps and are there any off-road/green lanes too?

So far I've found it very accurate and the view is excellent, No I don’t think so for green lanes,just road mapping.

Looks great but I see unfortunately it is only lifetime updates for Android

Oh! I ws under the impression I have lifetime updates and I use on Apple (though I could install on my Android HU in the truck) will check that out.

So far I've found it very accurate and the view is excellent, No I don’t think so for green lanes,just road mapping.

Oh! I ws under the impression I have lifetime updates and I use on Apple (though I could install on my Android HU in the truck) will check that out.
I think I understood it correctly please let us know if I am wrong

Last edited:
Can you use the app over different platform's once you have paid for it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think understood it correctly please let us know if I am wrong
Just opened it on both phone and ipad...phone is now installing map update so I still believe it is lfetime updates. But perhaps contact them before purchase.

I
Can you use the app over different platform's once you have paid for it?
I’ll check, not sure as I've not tried to install on my Android unit but have it on two Apple devices OK.

586993F3-B219-4B57-B1FA-1B0C7341F225.png
This would suggest free lifetime updates for iOS, (screen shot from the App store)

Looks very interesting, may give it a whirl

It is lifetime on IOS, I have it and find the offline mapping brilliant. The small print says it cannot be used concurrently on more than one device. I've installed it on my phone and iPad and just hit restore purchases on the second device and it works.

Downloaded the app yesterday and looks very good with some really usefull additions to free mapping,ie navigation to a photograph you have on your phone and the Heads up display.Thanks for the suggestion Gr8Yota

Hope you find it works well. You can also add real time view where it uses the phone camera to show the road but not tried that.

In answer to q's about multi use... you can use it on the same OS on several devices but need to repurchase for another system.

For anyone wanting off-road mapping I use ViewRanger app with OS Explorer maps. Better than the OS App and cheaper for the maps too.

@Gr8Yota can you tell Sygic to avoid uturns?

I gave up using it some years ago because that option wasn't available then.

@Gr8Yota can you tell Sygic to avoid uturns?

I gave up using it some years ago because that option wasn't available then.

Hmmm I don’t know, maybe they changed it as I've not had that problem. Looking at thesettings there is no obvoius option for routing that would encompass this.

Just had a very brief look. I don't understand the excitement. They are using a 3rd party data source, with a routing system that is a few generations out of date. How can this be better than Google maps - given that Google maps has real data from android and Apple devices, and can do smart things like not sending 500 cars down the same road when 3 parallel roads are empty etc.

What am I missing?

You’re not missing anything. I like it because its off-line mapping and the cost is minimal compared with buying a replacement sat nav. There are lots of good mapping apps including Google, Maps, Waze etc all of which I have and use but for off line nav I like the Sygic so thought I’d share.

I am actually going the other way, have a little experiment setup that I should document one day - I have a system so at home that tracks me, and becomes my smart hub, doing the routing and managing info based on some real time info.

That way I don't need to be online all the time, just need to check in every so often.

A lot of this is based off a piece of software called Viking, open source etc. There are a few different map sources that can be used there. The actual routing logic need attention, but I am able to game it a bit.

Would really rock having access to all this data folks like Google have. Btw, Waze is just a different UI to Google maps. They are both built by Google's mapping group.

Back