Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

"Marker" lights, how are they supposed to work?

Steveindar

Country Flag
tanzania
We have two cruisers in the family, another two on the projects. Was doing a bit of maintenance, checking lamps etc and had to change the front right side light or marker lamp on my HDJ81. I see it has a dual filament lamp but i could only ever get one filament to light up, and that was with headlights on.
I checked mama's HZJ81 and found that the one filament would light up with headlamps on and the second would light up with the indicator on and pulse ever so slightly but not flash.
How exactly are they supposed to operate?

Steve

One filament is sidelight, the other lights up bright and stays on when the indicator on that side is flashing, I think this only happens when the sidelights/headlights are on.

It lights up the corner you are turning into at night, this 'feature' can be seen on elderly Pajero's as well. I have seen the wiring altered to make them day time running lights.

Regards

Dave

One filament is sidelight, the other lights up bright and stays on when the indicator on that side is flashing, I think this only happens when the sidelights/headlights are on.

It lights up the corner you are turning into at night, this 'feature' can be seen on elderly Pajero's as well. I have seen the wiring altered to make them day time running lights.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave,

So mama's is correct, it's mine that aren't. I think I'll hook them into the indicator system and have them flash in sync with them.

Cheers

Steve

What spec is a HDJ81? My europe spec HDJ80 does not have this feature...

What spec is a HDJ81? My europe spec HDJ80 does not have this feature...

No the Euro spec has the marker as what we used to call a side light. It’s a single filament, 5 watt IIRC.

I’ve got LEDs in mine now, quite bright, but they don’t cast a beam, great for DRLs but don’t ask about legalities, I simply don’t know.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So long as it lights up does it make any difference because ultimately its only purpose is to give other drivers a better idea of your position in the road .

I put leds in mine also. Main reason being the old bulbs never seemed to last more than 12 months...

In the UK at least, having anything other than an amber light flash in unison with the indicators is illegal and an MOT fail. Marker or side lights as we call them are just for the reason Shayne has mentioned although front sidelights are of limited use and more appropriate when parked IMO. If its dark enough for sidelights its dark enough for headlights. My Dad had several Fords back in the 70’s and you could leave the car parked up and switch on either the LH or RH sidelight with the indicator switch, referred to as “parking light” in the owner’s manual. Much has been made of bright daytime running lights in the last few years and how they have been proven to make you more visible. Well no s**t! Who’d have thought that! Only been riding bikes for nearly 40 years with the headlight on.

Mine only have a single filament bulb, I now have amber flashing warning lights in them too.

I’ve already got turn indicator repeaters in the bull bar, so 2 more in addition to the stock turn indicators would be a bit OTT - IMHO

I have the Canadian spec sidelights, shows white at the front and amber from the side, just to be different . :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

Back