Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mating 78 and 80 axles - any wisdom on here?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Ok, bit of an odd one here and it's in the early stages, but a mate from another forum has seen a pick up with a solid axle conversion. Looks pretty good. He says it has an 80 series rear and a 78 (err LJ78?) front. I really don't know any more than this, but I said I'd chuck it out there and see what we know. Obviously the ratios would have to be the same, so that's a start 80's are 4.1, 4.33, 4.56 and 4.88 aren't they? Are 78 diffs swappable into 80 cases and vice versa - I really don't know anything about this area.

Why not use two axles the same? As I said, I can't tell you anymore than I have. Might be something to do with mounting points etc. Are 78 fronts fitted with lockers?

Thoughts appreciates

Maybe differing track widths - and the front may be coils and the rear leaf springs? There are some weird combinations out there, especially with SFA conversions :lol:

Chris you missed out 3.7:1 on the manuals.

Thought there was a lower one Rob, but like I say, I'm not well versed in that area. He is planning to put the axle with leaf springs. Hmm, not sure I'd be doing that.

Chris

Back