Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Max 3000 rpm help

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
Back again with more problems

Changed the fuel filter and since it refuses to go past 3000 rpm. Start idles and runs sweet up to 2200 rpm starts to misfire then to about 3000 rpm and wont go past it.
More white diesel smoke than usual.

The jeeps been lying about a while and its only legally on the road today again, was running fine but after 20 mile say it got a little misfirey hence i changed the filter , now this with new filter.

Am aware theres a filter in the tank going to change it tomorrow

Any ideas folks

I had something very similar in a 4Runner, it was a blocked sock filter in the fuel tank caused by diesel bug. On that vehicle it was so bad that it would only idle and start to show your symptoms when revved. I did notice the top of the diesel hand primer would slowly drop as vacuum was being developed.

Not a huge job to check the filter, start at that end of the system and work back.

Sounds like fuel starvation , as you say take the filter out the tank - (access panel under rear seat) and clean the filter on the end of the fuel pick up pipe , also take the pipe off the filter housing under the bonnet and blow back down it with an air line to push anything trapped in the fuel line out . It may be worth draining the fuel tank as modern diesel contains bio fuel that can develop a fuel bug that lives in the tank especialy if its been sitting (it looks like black slime) this can be killed by a fuel treatment but the slime still blocks filters

Cheers lads as ypu say start from that end, its just so happens i have a new intank filter here as the silver 80 got one and boy was that tank in bad shape.

Suppose the lyin about then driving shes gona lift the gloop.

Thanks again and fingers crossed.

The only thing I'd question is more white diesel smoke. White diesel smoke being over fueled unburnt diesel?

It does have the symptoms of fuel starvation but could also be air starvation at your 3000 rpm.
Blocked air filter? Delaminating intercooler pipes collapsing at higher revs..?

Just a thought.
Hope you solve it :)
J

Good thinking J il give all that a look over but tank 1st.

There a heart break at times but worth it

Keep you all posted thanks again

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The only thing I'd question is more white diesel smoke. White diesel smoke being over fueled unburnt diesel?

It does have the symptoms of fuel starvation but could also be air starvation at your 3000 rpm.
Blocked air filter? Delaminating intercooler pipes collapsing at higher revs..?

Just a thought.
Hope you solve it :)
J

Dunno why but often a diesel with blocked filters will white smoke......I think it may be that the FIP can't generate enough pressure to unseat the injector fully so you get a partial or poor spray pattern with the resultant poor combustion and white smoke.....I still see it on common rail engines sometimes

One more question is there a gauze at banjo bolt ?

One way to find out ;-) ....not sure but could well be a place crud has stuck even if there isn't a gauze

Very true.

Any good cleaning solutions to buy or even kero/petrol whats your views?

I wouldn't use either of them , compressed air in the fuel lines , a good diesel bug killer and additive in the fuel tank.... may be give it an overdose so to speak

Then do a lot of driving at 3-4K revs, blast it out..

If i once get her runnin sweet and making all rpms shes gona get the run of her life

I fitted another inline fuel filter prior to the OEM one with a see through chamber to keep an eye on any more crud coming from the tank as owner wanted a couple of holes drilling through the back of the sock filter.

If it is diesel bug, I would drain the fuel tank and if you can get hold of a vacumn oil remover/bleeder then it's worth trying to vac out as many solids you can find in the tank so the sock filter doesn't block again.

Has anyone worked on the fuel pump sprocket? To me white smoke and poor revs means pump timing miles out. But yes check the tank filter.

There is also a "last resort" filter in the pump itself and on some cars there are "last resort" ones inside each injector a well as that in the pump.

20161211_111333.jpg
20161211_111353.jpg
20161211_111742.jpg

As you can see it was badly needed but as expected it didnt solve the problem

Going by the gunk so far the pump or injectors cant be great either. Do i try an injector cleaner and drive her for a while before i do anything more 20161211_111235.jpg 20161211_111255.jpg

Has anyone worked on the fuel pump sprocket? To me white smoke and poor revs means pump timing miles out. But yes check the tank filter.

There is also a "last resort" filter in the pump itself and on some cars there are "last resort" ones inside each injector a well as that in the pump.
No timing was not touched in anyway. Jeeps been lying for 3 years.. Intersting didnt know about filter inside pump.

At 2200rpm your turbo cuts in and demands more fuel from the pump via a vacuum line to a diaphragm which in turn increases flow in the pump . If this mechanism isn't working then at 3000rpm your running on diesel fumes .

An air leak in vacuum line or diaphragm is my bet .

Back