Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mechanic/garage recommendations around Sheffield or Yorkshire

DaanLC

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello!

First post here. Please move it if it's the wrong sub-forum...
I am a total newbie, I don't yet own a Landcruiser - in fact I have never bought a car yet in my life, but I am actively looking for an 80 series right now to prepare for an overland trip through Africa late next year.

I am based in Sheffield and don't really know what I am doing as I have no mechanics skills whatsoever, or any other useful skills that would prevent me from being shafted when buying a 2nd hand Landcruiser 80.

My current thinking is that I could go and see some Landcruisers that are advertised relatively nearby where I live, pretend I know what I am looking for and then take it to a mechanic or garage who can give it an actual look-over before I commit to anything. Assuming that that can even be done before buying.

So on to my question(s) then....
- Can anyone recommend a good garage/mechanic near Sheffield or in Yorkshire?
- Potentially, are there any reputable forum members near me who would be interested in helping me out, ie joining me when I go see a car (of course I would pay you)

FWIW, I'm not exclusively looking into an 80 series. I'm tempted by Prados/Colorados and Surf/4Runners as well.

Thank you!
Daan

I'm sure I could lend a hand and speaking for Andy, who's not at home just now, he'd help too I'm sure and has a ramp at his place in South Yorkshire. We've just sorted Des an 80 by fitting new suspension, rebuilding the front axle completely and fixing the brakes. We don't do this commercially - we just love Landcruisers. There are a couple of stickies at the top of the 80 section geared toward what to look out for in an 80.

Thank you Chris, and by extension Andy, that gives me some confidence. I have just read your two posts on the sticky you mentioned about what to look out for and that has been very useful and informative already.

I see you mention you don't do this commercially, but of course I still won't be expecting free help/support.

I'll send you a PM a bit later as well...

Sure. Depending on what wants doing, I do offer to work on 80's now and then and don't worry I do charge, but it's reasonable, I never stop and do a proper job! No bodging here. Des is in your neck of the woods. You can always ask him for an opinion.

Hello!

First post here. Please move it if it's the wrong sub-forum...
I am a total newbie, I don't yet own a Landcruiser - in fact I have never bought a car yet in my life, but I am actively looking for an 80 series right now to prepare for an overland trip through Africa late next year.

I am based in Sheffield and don't really know what I am doing as I have no mechanics skills whatsoever, or any other useful skills that would prevent me from being shafted when buying a 2nd hand Landcruiser 80.

My current thinking is that I could go and see some Landcruisers that are advertised relatively nearby where I live, pretend I know what I am looking for and then take it to a mechanic or garage who can give it an actual look-over before I commit to anything. Assuming that that can even be done before buying.

So on to my question(s) then....
- Can anyone recommend a good garage/mechanic near Sheffield or in Yorkshire?
- Potentially, are there any reputable forum members near me who would be interested in helping me out, ie joining me when I go see a car (of course I would pay you)

FWIW, I'm not exclusively looking into an 80 series. I'm tempted by Prados/Colorados and Surf/4Runners as well.

Thank you!
Daan
Willing to help as Chris said. If you want an insight come over in the new year as I've got an 80 here and a Collie you can look at and learn.
Help to view is useful, I've done it a few times and members have either been either saved a ton of bother or bought with a good degree of confidence.
Hope to see you soon and sort you out.

Hi Andy,
I missed your reply yesterday somehow. That is great, I'd love to come over and check the two vehicles you have, because I am in desperate need to learn.

Very much appreciated, I will be sure to get in touch with you via PM after Christmas!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back