Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Metalian Maxi/80 Build Thread

grantw

Supporter
As i'm finally starting to get time to do this build (after having the trailer for over 12 months) I thought it was long over due to start a build thread. It's still very much how it came out of the factory so there is alot to do!

A few of you saw the giant awning that we have just acquired for when the weather isn't so nice - so perfect for last weekend at the Overland show.

This is without the mega awning:

IMG_0172.jpg

and with - the pile of canvas on the ground allows for enclosing the entire kitchen section off, well if it had have come with the correct zip.

IMG_0241.jpg

all packed up

IMG_0263.jpg

and a rare site - two 80s both towing Metalian trailers. Well one very well sorted 80 and trailer and one that needs a lot of work still.

IMG_0265.jpg

As the first mod to make it easier getting it up the drive and into the garage I've bought a small 3000lb winch from Goodwinch. Now i'm just trying to work out the best way to mount this. I've bought a piece of 6mm plate to trim to size and I will mount it with two u bolts either side. I'm not sure this will be high enough how ever and I may need to do it on a 6mm piece of box section but i'm concerned with the leverage this will generate.

It will sit something like this:

IMG_8643.jpg

When required I will just have a lead with andersen plugs that goes straight into the onboard battery. As long as I keep the brake adjusted nicely I shouldn't get any interference from the brake to the plate.

Last edited:
Great setup there Grant was great to meet you both at the show. Weather certainly tested your tent and awning. Wishing you an adverturious happy travels this September.

I was wondering who the “other 80 and trailer” belonged to in the photo?.... :whistle:.......:lol:

Very nice too Grant, a lot of work ahead but having been privileged to se Chris’ set-up in the flesh as it were, I’m sure it will be worth it. (I don’t get much opportunity for these treats!).

Good luck with the build.... :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Holy crap! Have they built Brick houses in Mongolia as well?

This feels like an old thread revival. With our deadline fast approaching for a year long trip (this might make another thread at some point) I've started doing some long over due modifications to the 80.

First up was sound and heat insulation. An in progress photo here

IMG_9652.jpg

Second long range (N4) tank install. Sarah assembling the dual neck filler.

IMG_9659.jpg

The very scary moment of cutting through the original filler pipes

IMG_9660.jpg

The giant heavy thing finally lifted up and almost bolted in
IMG_9662.jpg

I spent all day Sunday trying to locate the fuel transfer pump into a sensible spot. I'm hoping it's far enough back against the chassis that the upper control arm doesn't interfere (crush) it on flex. Some further testing required here ... I really don't want to move it again. It is located quite away back from where shown in this photo and it will have right angle connectors instead of straight to give more breathing room.

IMG_9665.jpg

Still some more work to go on the long range tank - but it's almost there.

Looking great there Grant certainly a lot of work involved I know. What tank is that and is the alignment for the filler neck good fit?

Thanks Dervis. The tank is this one:

http://www.n4-offroad.com/marque-TO...-N4-additional-tank-HDJ80-HZJ80--2004&lang=fr

It comes complete with everything bar the wiring to connect it all. The alignment for the dual tank filler neck (Toyota orginal part) is good ... it only just sits in there being held in by the hoses themselves. Mine are a little long at the minute making it a little loose. Something to tidy up in the future.

Nice set up. I'm looking at a Parthian which has a very similar if not the same tent config. on it at the moment but will probably alter that for solo set up.

Where ya headed Grant?

Wherever you're going your not going to run out of fuel with that bad boy!
The plan is pretty rough still. But starts in Netherlands at wink getting some bar work done and then play/explore around the Adriatic/Aegean until August at Clive’s. Where hopefully we will get all the rust done and meet up with the annual trip. We have to fly back to Cornwall for a wedding around that time too. After that it’s into turkey, Georgia, Armenia and Iran. Zig zag through the stans into Mongolia and cover Russia for the trip back. All subject to last minute changes :)

With the tank it will give us around the 270l mark so I hope around the 1000 mile mark towing the trailer. Wanted it more for taking advantage of cheap fuel and convenience more than super remote travel.... will take a lot of tanks to pay for it though!

Finally found the source of wet passenger carpets tonight:

6F39C976-6DBC-4EB9-B81D-19875B6FCCE1.jpeg

The hose seeems to be too short or the connector is broken off ... I couldn’t tell. Found a bit of heater hose that was perfect for the job though.

F3398432-4B54-48A5-8644-C11C6F37832A.jpeg

Sounds a great trip. I'd like to do something along those lines but not sure if I want to travel solo nowadays.

Sounds a great trip. I'd like to do something along those lines but not sure if I want to travel solo nowadays.

There are at least two forum trips every year so you don't have to go to solo. Mark generally runs a Morocco one and the one to Romania to Clive's has become a regular occurrence too.

Back