Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mileage

karl2000

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Is there a 120 mileage thread somewhere? I couldn't find it.

I'll start with: 73,500

127,000 miles

Ozbush fuel mapper + EGR blanking plate on the way from Oz

was wondering how far these engines go before you take 'em apart and put 'em back in and start again?

i've driven 70,80,90,100,120,150 and 200 series Land Cruisers,but only owned an 80 and 120 series

the 120 and 80 series for me are the only Land Cruiser i would own
i like them all
but the 120 suits me 100% of the time

wish it looked as good as my 80 series tho'
make me smile just sat on the driveway...

Last edited:
if it aint broke don't fix it .I can't comment on a D4D but with 127 K miles other Toyota engines are just getting warmed up.

i'm hoping i get a sign of something changing before the grenade...
if i get to 250,000 miles i'll treat it to some major TLC

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If its rattly when cold, then the injectors need doing. Budget around £800 for refurbed injectors. Most seem to get them done around 140k miles.

The rest really is just the normal maintenance and fix what breaks, Ive changed water pump, alternator, air con motor, batteries, plus the usual brake pads and disk, also calipers.

My 120 is just short of 140k miles and 15 years old

oil & filter every 6 months , coolant every 4 years etc. its all in the Toyota service specs.Use a genuine filter & good quality oils .

Just back from France with 194000 miles.

Changed the injectors at 120K miles. Oil and filter every 10K miles, always used a Toyota filter. Coolant on 100K, need to do it again. Timing belt and tensioners. on 90 and 180K. Water pump on 180K.

You all have a long way to go, to see 275,000 on my old 120.

Attachments

• LC3.JPG
    LC3.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 50
  • LC2.JPG
    LC2.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 44
  • LC1.JPG
    LC1.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 43
My old HZJ 80 has 450k kms (that’s close to 280k miles) on it and engine wise I’ve only ever changed the oil and all filters every 10k kms.

I did have the BEBs replaced as a precaution, but there was nothing wrong with the old shells. Then I had a tappet shim replaced with the next size up to cure a ticking, which it did, but it was too tight causing the valve to not seat properly, so the original shim went back in pretty sharpish.

That’s the only engine work ever done on it, original injectors etc. and it’s still going strong, touch wood.

My 120 lc5 has 215000 on it and not long done my egr clean and was very surprised to find it was not bad at all as tho previous owner had already cleaned.
You just never no unless service history tells you so.
I'm no machanic and with help and information from members on here and YouTube clips I completely with no problem. :text-woo:

My 120 lc5 has 215000 on it and not long done my egr clean and was very surprised to find it was not bad at all as tho previous owner had already cleaned.
You just never no unless service history tells you so.
I'm no machanic and with help and information from members on here and YouTube clips I completely with no problem. :text-woo:
Tony,
That’s really good to hear. EGR clean is getting towards the top of my (ever growing) to do list and I’ve been researching and YouTubing for the past couple of weeks. Doesn’t look too onerous, just wondering how long the process took from start to finish. I’m guessing I should allow a good day for the work.

Tony,
That’s really good to hear. EGR clean is getting towards the top of my (ever growing) to do list and I’ve been researching and YouTubing for the past couple of weeks. Doesn’t look too onerous, just wondering how long the process took from start to finish. I’m guessing I should allow a good day for the work.

Since I'm no machanic and was following a step by step picture chart probably around 5hrs.
I made sure I cleaned on a weekend so if any problems I could call on friends who are machanics.
I was given the egr link by a member on here just not sure who with out revisiting my post.
No special tools needed just 10mm 12mm socket and few screw drivers at hand. I still have the link if u need it as does help beginners to achieve that epic feeling :text-worthless:

An African guy bought it to take back to Kenya
i love the African mentality,in Morocco they know what to buy because they drive them until they stop
preventative maintenance doesn't translate into Berber
then they fix them and start again
Peugeot 504's,Merc 2.3D's or any Land Cruiser...

Back