Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Milner 001200 steering damper

frank rabbets

Guru
The type 001200 Milner steering damper is 1.25 inches shorter than the original Toyota one on full extension. I checked its fully extended length before fitting. I then removed the Toyota one and turned the steering to full lock. I then measured the distance between the tapered eyes. This was 1/2 shorter than the Milner steering damper. I then fitted the Milner damper to see what effect it had. When turning the steering on full lock no resistance was felt but the steering damper was obviously taking fully extended tension which was not designed for. Also the axle was being pulled across the chassis sideways.

Be careful fitting because you may not realise the problem unless you compare the extended measurement of the damper with the measurement of the eyes on full lock.

Each car may be different as the steering stops are adjustable.

Picture steering damper 005.JPG

I had a Milner steering damper on my suspension modified 40 which I had fitted about four years ago and the steering never felt quite right... lots of wandering and rut-finding. I don't do big mileage in the truck. Last year I tackled the problem, measured the diagonals - axle to axle, alignment etc. First of all we tried one with a centering spring over the casing - no good as the spring fouled on the bracket. In the end Euro 4x4 sent me a selection of steering dampers from the measurements I gave them. The Desert Fox one was perfect and I returned the others.
Having taken the Milner one off, it had no tension and was actually weaker than the one I'd removed all those years ago and that had been on for a very long time.
Getting the right steering damper has cured all the ills and the truck feels good again. Bearing mind that my truck does not have any anti-roll bars, the steering damper gets a reasonable work out but with the right one on.... what a difference.
Frank is right, if you are going to fit an after market one... do you measurements first.
In fairness to Milners, everything else I've had from over the years them has been good.

Regards,

Hi Rodger

"Desert Fox" steering damper for my 80 then? Without prejudice. Is yours the same as an 80? If so could you recommend a part number?

Thanks

Hi Frank,

Apparently it was for a lifted 60 (I got the 2.5+ rear shocks as well as they were part of the same order) and was a special order that had been cancelled aand they'd sat on the shelf so long that only the longterm employees remembered them. Euro 4x4 do OM Emu and Tough Dog for 80s.

Even at a hugely discounted price for old stock etc the steering damper was considerably more than the Milner ones.
Sorry to disappoint but I think I was very lucky.

Regards,

Back