Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Milners or Pedders standard springs?

pbgt

Country Flag
ireland
Hi, which standard springs would you go for, Milners or Pedders?

All road duties, no off roading. Towing a 1300kg caravan occasionally.

Appreciate any feedback

personally I wouldn't use either. Bite the bullet and get Toyota originals. I did this years ago with my 1st 80 Cruiser, replaced the springs after about 12 years with some aftermarket ones supposedly standard but the ride was harder. After a bit I bought a set of OEM exact right springs and the ride height was perfect and so was the ride. Check the prices from Amayama etc.

I fitted a set of supposedly standard ride Pedders to my D4D Collie and the ride was ruined, very hard. It contributed to me selling it and getting a 120.

That said, Andy, we've been running Pedders +2" on the 80 for 5 or 6 years now and been really happy with them - truck rides nicely and handles predictably. Can't comment on the standard ride height ones though.

This is a job I've been contemplating for a while, standard 80 still with original springs. I've just priced up a set of 4 OEM on Amayama around £614 delivered including ID & VAT, +/- a few quid either way. Quite a bit more than off the shelf stuff but I don't want a lift or uprated springs, just keep the original ride quality.

Back in the day (70's) a firm in West Bromwich used to make my springs for me. They just needed a pattern. About £6 each. I wonder if such firms are still about.

Come to think of it, I had a coil spring made for an Opel Commodore by Kellett's in town back in the early 80's. They're long gone but there are other spring makers close by. Might give them a ring.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A company here in Sheffield, who supply springs to vehicle manufacturers and racing teams etc, can make any spring to any spec. They hold data on many vehicles, including uprated springs for a 100 series but don't have any for the 80 series so will need a spring to copy which makes things a bit more awkward. A ballpark figure is around £90 + VAT with possible discount for cash. Out of curiosity I phoned a main dealer for price/availability and they can get them in around a fortnight, £1024 for a set of 4. That makes the Amayama prices look cheap.

I am wondering if the correct springs lengths are in the WSM as a copy may have sagged a bit.

There's nothing that I can see regarding spring length in the FSM, only ride height measured at certain points on the chassis. I asked the spring Co. about copying an old, potentially weakened spring and they can compensate for that but without the exact length of a new OEM spring, surely there must be a bit of guesswork there? I'm leaning towards original Toyota springs from Amayama which are more expensive but as with any OEM parts I know they will fit and give the required results.

My 80 has springs the PO had custom made but it was 15 years ago and he can't remember who he used. I'd be interested in the name of that company in Sheffield Towpack, because the rears might need to be a bit stiffer for all the extra stuff I've loaded it with.

I have a set of barely used pedders standard rear springs from a previous build if anyone wants to try them.

Back