Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mission Murmansk - The Kola Peninsula Sept 2018

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well it’s about time one of us started a new thread for this trip so here goes.

After seeing the video from Geko Expeditions on You Tube, I was really keen to sign up for the trip. Andy, Tom and Sam were of the same mind so we contacted Geko and awaited a response. To cut a disappointing saga very short, we decided that we’d just do it ourselves. Read into that what you will.

The basic stages of the trip were: select a date, get Russian Visas, book a ferry across the Baltic, get a tunnel booking and get going.

We leave in the morning, so all of that clearly fell into place. It’s not been that hard, nor really that costly but it wasn’t without its frustrations. We got a cracking deal on the ferry all sharing one cabin and going all-inclusive. Cheaper than one way to Santander! Visas came in at around £200 including having to go to London. Chunnel was about £160. Other than food, fuel and the odd hotel, that’s it. We booked a nice place to stay on the first night in Russia for the princely sum of £11 each. I think that indicates the way that living costs will to pan out.

The route takes us up through the Netherlands, into Germany leaving from the Baltic port of Travemunde and arriving 24 hours later in Helsinki. Then on up through Finland, Lapland and crossing into Russia somewhere up near Sala in the Arctic Circle. We’ll then travel down to the White Sea, up through the Khibiny Mountains, on to Murmansk then exit through into Norway and back down to Helsinki.

We’ve planned to take the whole month to do this so it’s not a race; it’s a holiday. We plan to leave each day after a relaxing breakfast and stop in plenty of time to set up camp, do a little fishing, build a fire and so on. Nothing worse than a mad dash. We'll also fit in some coffee stops and sightseeing along the way.

A good deal of the route simply doesn’t appear on maps. Some is little more than logging track and some just isn’t a road at all but lake shore or just open terrain.

Not sure how much updating we’ll be able to provide, as there simply won’t be any signal of any kind for the most part. First stop, the Eurotunnel.

More as it happens.

All the best with the Trip, Look forward to the posts..... Stay safe:thumbup:

Have a great and safe trip guys. If anyone gets stuck don't stress your winches just get a few burly Russians to lift up the cruiser and walk with it, all in a day’s work for them I’m sure. Wish I was coming with you. Sounds like a really interesting one. Looking forward to the updates when possible too.

Bon Voyage chaps, sounds like a mega trip. You know the drill, plenty of pics when you can. Have a fantastic time, Chris, no shooting the local wildlife even if it does look tasty.

Awesome, a squadron of 80's

Have a great and safe trip guys

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im not a jealous or envious person, i find it a undesirable trait, but im struggling with this one. This is a trip i would of liked to of gone on.
Murmansk is the largest artic city in the world, similar population to stoke on trent. Home to a section of the northern fleet, a huge ship yard, nuclear ice breakers and a graveyard to decaying soviet era ships and subs.
as to the tour company. The trip has now turned into a proper adventure.
have fun, stay safe and take plenty of pics.:thumbup:

Have to say, "Jealous AF" My family are on holibobs in Russia just now while I spend my days at work...
Hope the trip goes well and if you get stuck for some help or something / translated etc, my wife is Russian, I'll offer her help!

Look forward to the updates

cheers

…if you get stuck for some help or something / translated etc, my wife is Russian, I'll offer her help!
It’s been said many times, ain’t this forum great. That offer could be worth it’s weight in gold. Hope it’s not needed. Great offer John (even if Mrs B doesn’t know it yet).:thumbup:

Guys thank you for the wishes and offers of help. This forum has in the past got some people out of real difficulties including air-freighting spares, translations and food parcels. I think that it might be one of the most useful spares we take with us.

Ooops, forgot to post the mission decals for this year. Thanks to our very own Tim for pulling these out of da bagski.

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 20.45.11.jpg

Whats the russian bit say and wheres it going, you must be running out of doors?

Plenty room Nick. They're already on.

It says .........

Have a great trip, not an easy trip going into Russia
Will we get any photos this time ?

My trip this summer was to Cornwall camping in Tentipi and drove 4km of greenlanes, so very tame in comparison

Enjoy

I plan to take some photos. Mostly because we'll have time to do some. I also have my Go Pro and no idea. So we'll just have to see.

Sounds fantastic, have fun!!
Russia is fantastic, enigmatic, interesting and enlightening.
Watch out for the rozzers!
Hope you’ve got a dash cam
Watch out for the other drivers, some of the worst you’ll see anywhere,, you don’t have to take a test, just pay the right people!!

Yes, I’ll make sure we have plenty of piccys, just finished filling the last minute supplies from Tesco, truck loaded & stocked with beer.
This is going to be quite an adventure I think, especially after watching loads of you tube vids on off road stuff in Russia.
Yes we all have plenty of recovery gear , including chainsaws to get through & make bridges!
It’s going to be pretty remote out there and there are bears around to keep us company( got some pics of them sniffing around a tent when Rob of Krown fame went there).
Will update where & when we can, next stop Eurotunnel....Mission Murmansk is beginning!
Andy

I'm more worried about the border guards nicking our bacon and cheese. We're really not going that near many population centres or roads in fact. But not attracting any attention is something we plan to work quite hard at! Difficult in 4 massive 80's but we'll blend in as much as we can.

Back