Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

moan of the week.

When I was doing my HGV training, it was impressed upon me that in a 30 zone I should be driving @30mph, in a 50 @ 50mph, etc, etc. Indeed it was made very clear that if I drove too slowly, I would be penalised by the examiner.

I failed the first test for doing 22mph in a 20mph zone ! "Not under control " (still don't know how he judged that on an analogue speedo from the passenger seat)
At the same test centre, an examiner was at the very same time also failing a driver who was doing 45 in a 50 zone for not "making progress" !

It seems that for HGV's at least, it is indeed a target.
I remember on my first days training i was doing 38/39 in a 40. My instructor pointed out that i wasnt doing the speed limit and i said it was close enough. He then said i'd be a pretty shit professional driver if i couldnt even drive at the speed limit.

Lazz I expect you were in a to higher gear. I failed my 1st class one for the same thing and he said if I had dropped down a cog I would have passed.

I did pass my class 2 with 3 minors though. Just saying

When I was doing my HGV training, it was impressed upon me that in a 30 zone I should be driving @30mph, in a 50 @ 50mph, etc, etc. Indeed it was made very clear that if I drove too slowly, I would be penalised by the examiner.

I failed the first test for doing 22mph in a 20mph zone ! "Not under control " (still don't know how he judged that on an analogue speedo from the passenger seat)
At the same test centre, an examiner was at the very same time also failing a driver who was doing 45 in a 50 zone for not "making progress" !

I remember on my first days training i was doing 38/39 in a 40. My instructor pointed out that i wasnt doing the speed limit and i said it was close enough. He then said i'd be a pretty shit professional driver if i couldnt even drive at the speed limit.

I got told you drive a lorry like you have been driving one for 20 years with out a licence. My reply was it's only been 3

yep, failed mine first time round for 'failing to make progress'!
If you can't drive at the speed limit where it is safe to do so, you shouldn't be driving.

My first time i failed for arguing with the examiner, 2nd time causing someone to break on a roundabout then passed with a bollocking 7 years later

Changing tack here, if I may.
Does anyone else get irritated by people saying ‘Can I get..x,y,z’ in a cafe or restaurant?

‘Can I get a double espresso to go’ no need the girl serving you will get it for you. Or
‘Can I get a double cheeseburger with fries’ “sure, help yourself, the buns are warming in the oven and the cheese squares are in the fridge. Next!”
:angry-screaming:

Whatever happened to ‘I’d like a double espresso to take away please’ or ‘could I have a double cheeseburger and fries please’.

Is it just me?

It’s not just you, it’s me as well, it’s because they watch too many cheap American programs on the telly, they say “ like” a lot, they say “ I mean” a lot, when the cheap Ozzy soaps were the rage they even copied the Oz lilt as it called, ( you know raising the tone as they finished a sentenced, similar to a question) they believe it sounds “ cool” ( another one from the telly) Sfunny because they must have brains like a chocolate mouse with its head bitten off, what happened to originality? ( I dunno either) I’m loving this groan of the week, I feel better already, Why? Because I’M NOT THE ONLY MOANER!!!! Nor am I the best!, best regards to all, Bill Westley

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It’s not just you, it’s me as well, it’s because they watch too many cheap American programs on the telly, they say “ like” a lot, they say “ I mean” a lot, when the cheap Ozzy soaps were the rage they even copied the Oz lilt as it called, ( you know raising the tone as they finished a sentenced, similar to a question) they believe it sounds “ cool” ( another one from the telly) Sfunny because they must have brains like a chocolate mouse with its head bitten off, what happened to originality? ( I dunno either) I’m loving this groan of the week, I feel better already, Why? Because I’M NOT THE ONLY MOANER!!!! Nor am I the best!, best regards to all, Bill Westley
It’s painful like listening to like American kids. Like literally every other word like is like. It’s actually like difficult to actually like, understand them, like you know.

It’s painful like listening to like American kids. Like literally every other word like is like. It’s actually like difficult to actually like, understand them, like you know.
Don’t get me started!!! :angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

Or by starting a sentence with 'so' and ending one with 'and, hmm so yes'.

My pet hate - and I have written to the BBC is that we no long use the words terrorism and terrorist. They're now terror attacks. Last time I looked, terror was an emotion. The BBC replied. They took my point and would discuss it with editors, but the reason they did it was because they didn't want to presume that the perpetrators of these crimes (ie the terror attacks) were ....get this...... actually f****g terrorists! So what, terror attacks could be committed any one? But I'd argue that stabbing one person is not an act of terror anyway. It's murder. Terrorism is surely the act of causing widespread fear, panic and disruption.

And now they've done it again. If you are stabbed and killed, it's not murder anymore. No, you're a victim of knife crime. Murder is down, robbery is down, burglary is down, theft is down too. Fantastic. What a result. Oh but hang on, it seems that knife crime has risen correspondingly by precisely the same amount..

My first time i failed for arguing with the examiner, 2nd time causing someone to break on a roundabout then passed with a bollocking 7 years later
I passed my HGV class1 in 1997.. First time.. Dont know how. Made the trailer mount the pavement, and didnt answer one question correctly.. The instructor was non impressed. But he said i was the best of a bad bunch, And had to pass someone that day.. He could'nt have a full day of fails.. Looks bad on the Instructors.. The very next day had to take the fertiliser tanker to Immingham in the snow.. Arse clencher that one

Back