Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

More EU bollocks

Knucklehead

Probably one for the tyre section..

Time has arrived to change probably best M/T tyre I've used, Mickey Thompson MTZs.
Turns out no go - we can no longer supply these in the UK due to EU laws. WTF?

So far looking for 315/75/16 M/T alternatives I can only see Cooper STT pro in the UK that seem to be K speed rated in my size. Don't drive the 80 like its stolen but would like motorway speeds without worrying the tyres are breaking up under my arse.

To add insult, I have an unused MTZ on the spare rim.
Only option I can see is import from the US. Huge £££.

Sent off few emails to main tyre suppliers in UK for options. Hopefully the EU hasn't outlawed all M/T tyres by now.

Pack of *****. Rant over.

Dave.

I hope Brexit will bring an end to crap like this.

1/3rd of that group is DVLA. Do no, I don't think brexit is going to impact this at all. But who knows.

I'm impressed with Toyo Open country MT's Dave so worth a look maybe .

Helen bought some clogs (my slippers) from a UK website with a credit card but her bank blocked the transaction . She was told its a Chinese website masquerading as UK and they will keep taking payment .

Long story short the bank said its been going on for years but all this nonsense will stop soon , he wouldn't elaborate further .

Thanks Shayne, looks usual story for UK and don't come in my size.

Seem to be a couple more tyre options if look at 35 x 12.50 - 16 (think this is similar to 315/75/16) but still bollocks.

Will have off-roading outlawed soon. Ah well, hunt goes on.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks Shayne, looks usual story for UK and don't come in my size.

Seem to be a couple more tyre options if look at 35 x 12.50 - 16 (think this is similar to 315/75/16) but still bollocks.

Will have off-roading outlawed soon. Ah well, hunt goes on.

Cheers, Dave.
Antis already been trying to get yarwell quarry pay and play site closed down for 12 months or more now. Posh village and they don't like a little traffic every month or so. Wish people could just leave others alone to enjoy a harmless pursuit which simply doesn't fit in there opinion.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like all divorces the real truth of the relationship come out in plain sight to see. Only looks worse for wear the more this nonsense to negotiate goes on!!

I'm impressed with Toyo Open country MT's Dave so worth a look maybe .

Have to agree the Toyo open country ATs I had on mine were very good. The only problem is after about three years the rubber went super soft almost like a marshmallow, they picked up bits of metal and anything else that could cause a puncture, may have been the Spanish climate? One week they were fine and all of a sudden problems.

Regards

Dave

15" wheels means going to smaller brakes 93 may already have them?

Then adding larger diameter tyres means even poorer brakes, or rather more correctly additional pedal pressure for the same amount of retardation.

I did not realise the Thomson tyres were so expensive, tyre wall lettering picked out in gold leaf right?

Regards

Dave

900 quid a corner might be a bit steep

F*** i didn't look at the shipping !

Have to agree the Toyo open country ATs I had on mine were very good. The only problem is after about three years the rubber went super soft almost like a marshmallow, they picked up bits of metal and anything else that could cause a puncture, may have been the Spanish climate? One week they were fine and all of a sudden problems.

Regards

Dave

I was gutted when they discontinued the cooper stt owl which left me in a similar situation to the op so but because i run the same tires on my trailer i had time to investigate the options .

While doing it something i read somewhere , but i can't remember what , leads me to think Mickey Thompson leaned on Coopers to end production of a brilliant tyre because it was too similar to their own , we will never know .

Toyo had "the look" so i read hundreds of reviews and bearing in mind an 80 is a lightweight truck by American standards and and most reviews come from yanks i felt 60,000 miles and still going strong sounded good , i also discovered there was a change in the compound somewhere along the line but i never did manage to put a date on it .

On the road at 38psi (they arrived fitted on wheels at that pressure) you wouldn't know you were running muds , i'm inclined to think they don't grip tarmac as well as the discontinued coopers and they might be a tad heavier (different size so i can't be sure) .

Basically i wanted a mean looking tyre that would take me where i wanted to go off road that wouldn't suffer unduly from being permanently fitted to a daily driver . At approx 6000 miles its too early to tell i guess but i will be looking for them again if i get another truck .

Just had a look at what was available online... Nankang Mudstars (which I had) are the most common ones... but they aren't the nicest when they get part worn.

The other ones that I've seen on MyTyres that I know people run are the Hankook DynaoPro MT RT03 just as another option...

I'm liking the Cooper stt pro I've fitted to the 80. Quieter on the road then the bfgs they've replaced, wet tarmac grip is definitely better, good road manners in general.

They're heavier then the bfgs. Balance up well but don't like being stood for a week, 1st mile or so get a bit of wheel wobble but soon clears. Q speed rating iirc (99 mph)

Off tarmac I'll let you know in a week as going to the Yorkshire Dales laning, will see how they handle the rocky stuff.

Thanks for replies.

I have looked at various european tyre sites but much same story as sourcing in UK if want to replace with same size. 93 has the larger brakes so dropping down to 15 probably cause more issues.

Would be happy to fit Coopers Gary as used them when lived in OZ and similar to my Mickey Ts.
I can only see the 16" PRO with the 68mph K version available in UK not their Q version (unless I want to go 17": https://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/product/cooper-discoverer-stt-pro-315-70r17/).

Anyhow if I come across any good sites I'll post them up.
Enjoy your off-roading while you still can!

Dave.

Last edited:
Didn’t Cooper tyres buy out Mickey Thompson a while back?

Back