Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

More Power Please Captain!

McLean Racing

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys, ive been towing quite a bit lately and while she tows just about anything nicely, i keep feeling the need that it needs a bit more power to help it tow on the uphill 50mph roads as she tends to struggle.

Does anyone know of fairly cost effective ways to gain a bit more power without too much expense? Ive been looking at maybe retro fitting an intercooler maybe, has any one done this?

Also i like that its got fairly good fuel economy so i dont want to upset that too much either so looking for a good compromise

Its a 98 Colorado LWB 1KZ-TE motor if that matters

Cheers

Last edited:
Your best bet is to fit the intercooler. It'll improve performance dramatically and it'll also reduce engine temps as well which will help. Shayne and a few other members have retrofitted some. It's certainly not impossible. Once you have the fabrication skills it becomes a lot easier, and a welder! They do sell kits as well but prices in my opinion aren't justifiable.

You could probably get away with tweaking the fuel pump a little but I wouldn't do this without the use of a accurate temp gauge in place... Other than that, lighten her up a little, run skinnier tyres ect On a side note when I tow heavy and approach a hill, I always kick the OD off and get up the hill in third gear, she's far happier revving slightly more and I find generally maintains speed pretty well. I try to keep it over 60 MPH. Plus higher RPM means water pump is spinning faster so cooling system works better during these periods rather than laboring the engine

1KZ-TE , fit a 3" turbo back exhaust and it will feel like you've fitted a bigger engine :icon-wink:

Does the exhaust make that much of a difference? Would u need to increase fuel pressure to compensate?

The lines are blurred for me because I was fiddling with performance from several different angles all at once but I still recall my astonishment the first time I drove it after having the exhaust fitted . It perhaps doesn't add more power as such but completely changes the character of the engine while at the same time revealing the 1kz is capable of giving much more . I did start fiddling with the fuel as a result and couldn't get it right . Then I added a K&N air filter and iirc I felt I had at last cracked it . At the time I didn't have a 3" dump/down pipe .

Finally finding a happy balance I didn't really get to test it as I was booked in to have the intercooler fitted the following day . A 3" dump was added shortly after so as you can see which bit did what is far from clear but if I had to remove all but one modification the exhaust would be staying .

Shayne, was it Charlie that fitted your 3" dump pipe?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep and he made a jig for it to because someone read on here that I was having it done and contacted Charlie asking if he could post a copy out :think: the Scarlett Pimpernel perhaps ?

Just thought Wobbly will be here this evening maybe I should give him the keys so he can compare my 90 to his 95 :icon-biggrin:

Hi Shayne

Great meeting up before, altho drive back was, interesting.....

Your 90 drives completely differently from my (sob!) 95 - it was more free revving, and was definitely quicker, a combination of lighter weight, manual box, exhaust, each one must contribute something to the mix - a more structured approach of making a change and check the result would be interesting to see which adds most.

New 90 is nice, shouldve thought to take that out as well :)

Pete

How much would a full exhaust set me back the Shayne. Im trying to do this on a minimal budget but if its as good as you say id consider paying a bit more

Don't tell me you got lost on the way back to Cardiff Pete ? The new 90 is a KDJ and has more power than mine did before mods were added , but its not insured at all and really should be on a sorn . Good to meet you it's almost a pity your 95 was auto and had an intercooler from new as I guess it somewhat dilutes the comparison . I'm glad you feel it drives completely differently though because I'm 95% sure that's more down to the exhaust than anything else .

I think I paid 500 for the exhaust then went back so the dump was a separate job and iirc he charged me 150 for it , all with a lifetime guarantee . Sounds cool to .

Yep and he made a jig for it to because someone read on here that I was having it done and contacted Charlie asking if he could post a copy out :think: the Scarlett Pimpernel perhaps ?

Yes, that would be me then but I keep forgetting to get back to him,:oops: I'll ring him tomorrow.

A 3" exhaust on its own will make a marginal difference.
A 3" exhaust with a manual boost controller set to 14psi and the fuel dialed up a bit will make a reasonable difference, but you would probably want an EGT gauge to avoid cracking the head.
A 3" exhaust, with manual boost controller, fuel turned up (and a EGT gauge fitted!), and intercooler with bonnet scoop fitted makes quite a big difference.
Add an intercooler fan for slow speed work and towing up hills.

As a side note, I'm starting to waver on the whole 3" vs 2.75" exhaust debate. At first I couldn't find any factual arguments to support the 2.75" camp, but while mine with a 3" (and throttle butterfly removed) picks up pretty quickly, I have to keep it above at least 2200 to 2400 revs otherwise there is a noticeable dip in the torque. If I keep it spinning at around 2600 revs it makes good power and torque, up hills, towing the camper, on sand... I do need to get my Tunit remapped though, which might cure this. But there might be something to the stories about losing midrange torque with a 3" on a 1KZ-TE.

I don't have a boost controller (though I have done the washer mod on my turbo actuator) and mine pulls like a train right up to 4000rpm :think: have you moved the boost sensor up onto your cooler Fridayman or is it still in the crossover intake pipe ?

Def no dip in torque in Shaynes 90, I was accelerating uphill in 4th and it surprised me.

How big of a job is the waste gate mod then? will that give much more power? I have blanked off the egr already. After looking at the intercooler mod I saw a photo of the inlet manifold there are two butterfly valves what is the small one then?

Dave

Oh that will be the egr inlet I suppose! please correct me if I'm wrong.

just unbolt your turbo actuator and pop a couple of washers between it and the bracket , 2mm is usual , it shortens the arm or loads the spring depending on how you look at it but ultimately it makes it a little harder for the waste gate to open so increases boost a touch .

I see said the blind man I will give it a try! is it easy to get to? any pics?

Back