Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morning you lot!

The true million mile engine. 1hz all the way, besides turbos are over rated anyway.

Problem with the 1hz is it's hard to find here in the UK.

Yep, not a UK spec item AFAIK. I’m almost half way with 430k kms on the dial, there’s a sticker on the cam cover suggesting 1,000,000 km, so if it gets that far, it’s likely to get to a million miles I recon :lol:

Looks tidy but they can be very deceiving till you get underneath... Almost certain to be a 100 not a 105 though IMO, I wouldn’t know the difference without a view of the front end underneath...
Thanks Clive
Got a few pics sent to me looks ok but last owner was a farmer (from the looks of the info on the V5)
This would have independent suspension on the front or solid axles, V5 state 2x axles so thought this was a 105 though eng would have been in a 100? Getting confused.
Price seems a little steep though?

Eng1.jpeg

Thanks Clive
Got a few pics sent to me looks ok but last owner was a farmer (from the looks of the info on the V5)
This would have independent suspension on the front or solid axles, V5 state 2x axles so thought this was a 105 though eng would have been in a 100? Getting confused.
Price seems a little steep though?

View attachment 157188

If it’s in good order underneath (manageable rust) the price is OK IMO, but there’s a lot of very rusted shiny ones on forecourts these days, beware. I’m still not convinced it’s a 105 but who knows till you have a look.

Thanks Clive, indeed - I don't like buying from dealers but I think I'll go take a good look at this one.
Last few MOT's passed ok but historic I'm concerned with but I guess I have to expect some rust and past repairs.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a 100 series or Amazon as it was badged over here. The 105 has a much more basic configuration and is very rare in the UK/EU as it was only sold in Australia, Middle East and other key markets.

The price seems fair for age and mileage, but as said above it seems to have had trouble with rust at a relatively early stage of its life. Good tyres.

Another thing worth noting about that MoT history is that the car has barely moved in recent years.

It has airbags and ahc, so not a 105.

Pics underneath would be good to see, looks like it has cleaned up fairly well on the top. The mot history looks odd (I suspect it's changed owners a few times, since usage has definitely changed ).

Got some great tips from Andy last night so will get my overalls on and will pop over to the garage later on, worth checking out i think.

REMEMBER A,B,C,D !! There are stacks out there and a good one somewhere. I think @Trevor on here had one of similiar vintage and can advise you better than I can as his had the AHC.
He will be able to advise you on the pitfalls of such a vehicle.

Thanks Gents,
Andy - don't worry I'm on board with the ABCD's :) this one looked worthy of a visit, it ticks most of the box's though I'm concerned about the stagnant time and past repairs against the price.
I read somewhere a long time ago that air bag systems are one of those things that if they go, your stuck until you get the right part as the truck would drop down and be too low to drive, not sure if this is fact or fiction but would think conventional suspension would be much better - correct me if i'm wrong :)

Hi Jacob, Really appreciate the links, would consider a GX if I did not have the wife to please :)

AHC has been covered elsewhere in more detail but, yes, you're right - when the system goes you're well and truly stuck. You'll see a few VX trucks for sale that have had the air bags ripped out in favour of springs and shocks. Parts alone can be around £1,000 so that's an obvious bonus.

The 100 series don’t use airbags. They have deliberately weak springs assisted by gas spheres on hydraulically controlled shock absorber type cylinders. The major failing is the springs get weak over time and therefore more strain goes onto the hydraulic struts, nitrogen spheres etc. So, if it’s got old springs, bargain on replacing them with same and you’ll take the load off the rest of the system. Other problems include broken or corroded pipe work, low fluid etc. They also have a power assisted brake setup which can fail but there’s info and repairers on here.

What sort of mileage do you expect to be doing?

Great info, thank you.
Mileage will be low - 4k miles max a year or less i would guess.

Great info, thank you.
Mileage will be low - 4k miles max a year or less i would guess.
If you’re looking at 100 series, and your good lady wants something refined then look at the petrol ones ideally post 2003. There was a facelift at that time which gave a 5 speed auto box denoted by a wiggly gate on the gear shift. They are a V8 and are super smooth and powerful. MPG won’t be as good as the diesels (no, really!) but if you’re looking for frugal motoring you’ll not be looking at a big truck like this. I think 12 -18 MPG but check elsewhere on here to confirm. LPG makes them more frugal though it’s known to damage heads long term but is better with Flashlube. The petrol ones are less likely to be abused but still must be viewed underneath.

Generally avoid anything that’s been under sealed especially recently. A proper repaint is ok.

Back