Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Moving from US to Germany

Beau Diddly

Country Flag
germany
I currently own a '94 & '97 80-series in the US, 3x locked, OME lifted. I'm active in the South Carolina IH8Mud.com community and the Old North State chapter as well. I expect to move to Germany (Rheinland-Pfalz) in April and would like some advice on purchasing a Land Cruiser (I will not bring mine from the US).
  • I'm leaning toward an 80-series or 100-series Land Cruiser, but I have to admit I have an eye for the Mercedes G-Wagon (only the newer ones are available in the US, so they are overpriced).
  • Given the price of fuel in Europe, I'd like to go with a diesel that has better fuel economy.
  • I'd like to get one that is around 21 to 23 years old so I can bring it back to the US when I come home. Vehicles over 25 years old are much easier to import.
  • I will most likely use the vehicle as a daily driver, I don't know where I will live but I will probably have a commute of no more than 20 minutes. I intend to use it for expeditions and mild off-roading.
  • Are there any clubs or organization for off-roading or expeditions?
I appreciate any and all advice.

Welcome aboard BD, and good luck with the move to Germany.

You'll know better when you get there, but I've found prices for LCs in Europe generally to be much higher than the UK, but of course I don't know how either compare with the US.

You will not find petrol engine LC's even you want to , maybe a hand full of them are left in all Europe.
a very good 80 series can set you back about 20k+ euro. But I am talking about one that you drive from the dealer straight around Africa, in top shape, and great looks.
There are 2 sites where you can find cars from all over EU.

https://www.autoscout24.de/
https://www.mobile.de/
Germany is one of the last countries in Europe where they don't yet taxed to death bigger engines ( in Europe even the 3L is almost unaffordable because of taxes in most EU countries ) so in that respect, either you import your car or buy it there you are lucky ..
Anything older that 25 years is considered in EU an Oldtimer, and have a lower tax and different compliance laws for the pollution, so they became more expensive than newer ones in general. ..

80 prices in Europe are crazy. Just ask @mussy about that. He may well be able to source you something and I know recently had one for sale.

On a side note, If I were to bring an 80 (petrol) from the US, could I sell it locally?

The US has no Prados, but I see a lot of 70s and 90s in Europe. I know the 90s are independent front suspension, but how are they off-road?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My swb 90 does have a few modifications but i don't recall ever having to take an alternative route while off roading with a group of 80's

132318-c0f33442e8aed009287220747944a834.jpg

They do fine. Both solid axle and IFS have pro and cons,,but the main fact is in Europe and specially in Germany is almost impossible to lift solid axel vehicles legally via bigger tyres. You will never pass the mandatory technical inspection, and you can have a lot of trouble with the insurance as well in case of accident if you don't have the manufacturer standard tyre size . I think you get away maybe with a 7% difference in diameter and even that one with special inspection and approval form TUV.
Maybe some german colleagues can input more this. It is what i remebr from living there for 3 years some time ago, between 2008 and 2011.

An IFS vehicle is easier to lift if you want to modify it .
And also depends on what you want to do with it.. extreme off roading ? overlanding ?
In Germany , sadly, offroading is all but forbidden outside specially designated sites usually privately owned off road parks, so for offroading - overlanding you will have to go elsewhere.
The general rule in germany is if it is not allowed via written rule/ law, it is probably forbidden and the police will go that way, if they are not sure they will fine you.. :)
But in the rest of Europe things are more relaxed., specially in the East an North...

On a side note, If I were to bring an 80 (petrol) from the US, could I sell it locally?

The US has no Prados, but I see a lot of 70s and 90s in Europe. I know the 90s are independent front suspension, but how are they off-road?
That would be difficult. Cars in EU have to have a certificate of conformity....ie built for Europe. Glass would need to be changed, mirrors, and a host of other stuff. Ok it's l/h drive but it will needengineers reports and everything. One of my pals hete has a 92 lc80. C of C didn't exist then and it took 2 yrs to be French registered. Better of buying a European car tbh

Hi Beau - these classifieds might give you a better feel for the German market. Some amazing vehicles but not cheap.

http://forum.buschtaxi.org/marktplatz-market-place-f41.html
That's ridiculous. They complain in the US that we can't get diesels or 70 series, but I can't believe what they're going for in the Europe. In the US, you can import any vehicle over 25 years old. Newer than 25 years old and they must be retrofitted to meet US law which is usually more expensive than the truck itself. Is there anyway to import from the US to Germany without have to retrofit and modify, i.e., over 25 years?

Last edited:
youll love germany, I spent four years living and working there. great base for exploring eastern Europe etc.
the Europeans are all running away from diesels like there radioactive at the moment..
im sure if you get the right 80 and take it back to the US you would at least get your money back. that is, if you would actually want to sell it...

Oldtimers I think are exempt from passing the emission test, but some minor work on lights and mirrors might be required, yellow turn lights, for example a fog light in the back etc.. .. The car needs to be older than 30 years.
You will need to pay 7% import tax as well.
there are companies that take care of everything, basically you drop the car off with the US papers in a US port and pick it up from an EU port with german or dutch plates. they even deliver it to your door.

That's ridiculous. They complain in the US that we can't get diesels or 70 series, but I can't believe what they're going for in the Europe. In the US, you can import any vehicle over 25 years old. Newer than 25 years old and they must be retrofitted to meet US law which is usually more expensive than the truck itself. Is there anyway to import from the US to Germany without have to retrofit and modify, i.e., over 25 years?
30 years in France for 'classic' status but you may still have to get an engineer's report (not sure thb)

Another option is to bring your petrol FZJ80 and get it LPG converted. I've brought 3 trucks from USA over here and all converted onto LPG which is approx 40-50% at the pump (conversion price approx 1200).

Back