Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Moving to Germany and looking for a 90...I think

Beau Diddly

Country Flag
germany
I'm moving from the US to Rheinland-Pfalz in April for at least 3 years. I would like to find a diesel Land Cruiser about 22-23 years old so when I return to the US, I can bring it with me (25 year old import rule). We don't have the Prado in the US, so I'm unfamiliar with them though I have seen a few 70 series.

I currently own a couple 80 series (not bring them to Germany) and I'm wondering what the differences are between the 80 and the 90 series, other than SFA and IFS. I intend to use it for a daily driver and possible some mild off-roading, assuming there is much of an opportunity to off-road. Is there any advice for finding a 90, what to look for, etc.? Thank you.

Hi Beau

The 80 and 90 series are very different vehicles but the 90 is very capable in its own right , get underneath and look for rust at the rear end but other than that if it drives good its likely to keep going for a long time .

The 1kz-te cooling system suffers with age (especially if its an auto) so while it might not be necessary budget in for a replacement radiator and change the thermostat while your at it .

The D4D version of the 90 is pretty much bomb proof but suction control valves sometimes fail , body wise they are identical to the 1kz version so age means look at the bushes but if it drives good it probably is good .

The bodies polish up like new even at this age so pay little attention to its shiny bits the back axle and the engine you want to see .

Hope that helps some .

The only issue I can see with 90 series is that they are banned or will be banned very soon from most large cities
in Europe.
It is fine as a daily driver but check the local situation, if it is allowed in the city center.... etc, depends a lot on what city you will be in Germany.

The only issue I can see with 90 series is that they are banned or will be banned very soon from most large cities
in Europe.
It is fine as a daily driver but check the local situation, if it is allowed in the city center.... etc, depends a lot on what city you will be in Germany.
I'll be in Ramstein area, which is not a Low Emission Zone (LEZ, Umweltzonen in German). I believe (will check when I get there) the only cities requiring the Plakette is Dusseldorf, Stuttgart, and Berlin. My wife's car will have the green sticker, so we can plan our travel accordingly.

The 1kz-te cooling system suffers with age (especially if its an auto) so while it might not be necessary budget in for a replacement radiator and change the thermostat while your at it .

The D4D version of the 90 is pretty much bomb proof but suction control valves sometimes fail , body wise they are identical to the 1kz version so age means look at the bushes but if it drives good it probably is good .
Shayne, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the D-4D was the 1FD, the successor of the earlier 1KZ. If so, does the 1KD still have the cooling system issues of its predecessor?

does the 1KD still have the cooling system issues of its predecessor?

Oddly no , the 1KD is a more complicated engine with a digitally managed turbo so gets more power for better fuel consumption without the 1KZ tendency to over heat when the cooling system is neglected .

1KD became known as the D4D , not all but some 1KD 90's have a D4D badge .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like my truck may have a future friend. As far as I know I have the only 90 in the US. I'd say look for overall better condition trucks (body, rust ect) vs engine type. Both are good once well looked after.

Beau, I'm assuming you want a LHD vehicle to return to the US with?
Why don't you consider the V6 petrol version? They tend to be less "well used" and have more power than D4D and are super quiet and smooth. I don't know the ins and outs of their suitability regarding the clean air zones but it might be something to consider.
I've had both and if I was going for another it would be the V6 version.

I understand it's the same chassis, so how would you compare or contrast it to a 3rd gen 4Runner?

Same car different body for the most part , many parts are interchangable , i have 4runner adjustable upper arms on my 90 . Front diff is the same to i think .

Beau, I'm assuming you want a LHD vehicle to return to the US with?
Why don't you consider the V6 petrol version? They tend to be less "well used" and have more power than D4D and are super quiet and smooth. I don't know the ins and outs of their suitability regarding the clean air zones but it might be something to consider.
I've had both and if I was going for another it would be the V6 version.
In my current Land Cruiser club in the US (or all 3 clubs who all off-road together), we have every Toyota engine ever offered in the US, and nearly half of those offered world wide. None of them are fuel efficient, except the diesels which were never offered in the US. As we say, "Land Cruisers: over-built & under-powered". I drive cross-country in the US to hunt, and I expect to do the same in Europe, so I would like one that's relatively fuel efficient. I've driven a few RHD LC in our club, and no offense, I prefer the LHD...and it has nothing to do with me turning on the windshield wipers every time I turn! :grinning:
Same car different body for the most part , many parts are interchangable , i have 4runner adjustable upper arms on my 90 . Front diff is the same to i think .
What about the interior room? I've had a 3rd gen 4R and it was barely big enough for me, I'm 6'2" (187cm).

A 90 is bigger inside i think , i'm a little over 6ft and i do prefer to sit up straight but its not an issue that ever crossed my mind .

If you're gonna go through the effort of bringing one back, I'd say why bother with the petrol engine when they are sold in the US already, whereas the diesel will be a unicorn, whether that be 1KZ or D4-D.

I actually thought the 4runner chassis was the same too.... But I was wrong. It's about 90% similar. The rear frame section isn't fully boxed, whereas the 90's have a fully closed box frame throughout the chassis. I guess this means the 90 has slightly better strength on the rear end. Other than that, all drivetrain components can be found in the US. Front and rear suspension.

The rear diff with diff lock is a unicorn though on the 4runners. And only the "limited" models had the same permanent 4wd transfer cases like the 90's do.

The 4runners have more of a car platform vs the 90's where you sit nice and tall inside.

If you're gonna go through the effort of bringing one back, I'd say why bother with the petrol engine when they are sold in the US already, whereas the diesel will be a unicorn, whether that be 1KZ or D4-D.

The rear diff with diff lock is a unicorn though on the 4runners. And only the "limited" models had the same permanent 4wd transfer cases like the 90's do.
Agree on the diesel, that was my thought as well. A little better fuel mileage, and that too is good.

Ironically, I'm trying to sell my son's 3rd gen 4R...with rear lockers, '97.

IMG_1960.jpg

Beau is teasing you without realizing it Beau because few European 90's actually got a rear diff lock , they had limited slip diffs in the rear instead .
Even then Toyota recognized Britain was a different market so a locking rear diff is standard on UK trucks .

Bit puzzling really why the UK got top spec models when our climate isn't exactly extreme.

I suppose long term if you plan on taking the truck off road it might be worth looking for one with a rear diff lock. If not, then you'll be fine. And always have the option later on on adding one, whether it be OEM or something like an ARB one.

Referencing mpg, my 1KZ gets about 20-22 US mpg. I know people with the 5VZ Petrol lump tend to average around 15 US mpg. With my additional sub tank, I can get a comfortable 800 miles.

Plenty of them for sale in Belgium because of the milieu zones or "umweld zone's".

Back