Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mud Tyres that work on wet tarmac!

Jon Wildsmith said:
Acceptable tread wear on an MT is less than an AT i.e. if you let them wear too low then there's not much point running an MT because the tread is not deep enough to dig. Add that a hard driven MT will have a faster wear rate than a hard driven AT (less rubber doing the same work) and you're probably looking at 25-30k before you should sell them while they still have enough life for someone else. Something like the Toyo hard driven (they're very sticky) might only manage 20-25k, that's the price of good grip / hard driving.

Having a 2nd set of tyres is OK but it can seem a bit of a chore changing them just for the odd trip now and again.

I have a second set of GDYR MTRs next to a set of BFG ATs. Changing over isn't that big a deal you just need the right tools at hand.
Don't even use one of those impact wrenches. Simple handtools does the job.

My biggest gripe is tyre places killing the nuts on my cruiser with their impact wrenches.
Buy new ones, torque to spec and you'll be wheel changing rally style :whistle:

Gary Stockton said:
Brett said:
I've got Cooper STT's on my 80 & a set of BFG MT's on my Land Rover, the STT's are much better on the road than the BFG's. In the Wet = more grip, dry = less noisy, plus they're cheaper ;)

Agree on the STTs.
I give my vote to STT too. Great tire and good tread life too. I have heard a guy who has driven about 80 tkm/50 tmls with STT (275/70R17) and they have still about half of tread left.

I am in the same boat wanting to push the button on some off road tyres this weekend and its between the Coopers or the BFG AT's and its a tough choice. I cant justify MT's as the car will be going back to SA where its not so wet and will be driven on road more than off.

How about Cooper STs, not as agressive as the STT but still plenty capable in the mud. Also good road manners and pretty quiet (well certainly quieter than my Surf was on BFG M/Ts.

I have just invested in some STT's for Muxley - will see how they fare in comparison to the ProComp MT's over the weekend :D They felt nice on a brief run around the block this evening :D

Gav Peter said:
I have just invested in some STT's for Muxley - will see how they fare in comparison to the ProComp MT's over the weekend :D They felt nice on a brief run around the block this evening :D
I shall be interested to see what those STT's look like in the morning, assuming they're 35" or bigger? ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've some 285/76/16 Federal Couragia MT's that are better than the OE spec Michelins in the wet!

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="Gav Peter":1880lbgp]I have just invested in some STT's for Muxley - will see how they fare in comparison to the ProComp MT's over the weekend :D They felt nice on a brief run around the block this evening :D
I shall be interested to see what those STT's look like in the morning, assuming they're 35" or bigger? ;)[/quote:1880lbgp] 315/75/16's Jon - they stand a wee bit taller than the ProComps but the 'Comps were sadly abused by a previous owner... :p

White letters in BTW - woof woof!!!

This post has been going a while!!
Just thought I'd give my thoughts. Have just got back from a 2600kms trip to the Pyrenees and back on KM2s in the hilux. We had torrential rain thru France, snow ice and generally slippy hairpin bends up down and around the mountains.
The tyres were superb, quieter than any other tyre I have used, they include BFG ATs, Kumho KL71s,Cooper STs and STTs. The on road performance in the wet is great, no back end twitching on the hair pins, and off road simply brilliant. I am not sure how they have done it. There is no need to use any other tyre,or buy a standard AT again.
Go the KM2s, :clap:

Jon Wildsmith said:
They looked very nice Gav
:cool: Cheers Jon - next time I will try to run them at a suitable pressure :doh:

TonyS said:
Go the KM2s
Glad you like them Tony - if they were in the UK in my shoe size, I probably would have tried them... :roll:

TonyS said:
Have just got back from a 2600kms trip to the Pyrenees
We're all looking forward to the photo's & detailed trip report dude ;-)

Back