Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 105 Overlander

AboutAfrica

Country Flag
namibia
Decided to lower my roofrack, modifying the custom mountings so should score about 30mm. Original idea was to slide a panel or table under the RR, but that has not happened so far so probably wont happen. Also busy making up a aluminium wind deflector for the RR to hopefully drop the wind resistance but mainly to protect the tent when going through branches and stuff.

IMG_4063.jpg

Poor thing looks naked without his hat on.

IMG_4051.jpg

Hi there and welcome I believe!

that truck looks great.
What’s the spec / modifications?

also keen to see a couple more pics of this modified roof rack.

Hi there and welcome I believe!

that truck looks great.
What’s the spec / modifications?

also keen to see a couple more pics of this modified roof rack.

Thanks. Been on here about a year I think but haven't really posted much, ha ha.

1fzfe, no mods except custom exhaust.
3" lift in the front, 4" in the back. Custom set-up which I played with to get it right for my needs. Castor, adjustable panhard rods and brake lines etc all sorted.
35" MT tyres.
Snorkel.
Dual battery system.
Custom front and rear bumpers.
On-Board comms.

no frills/no fuss overlanding/tour/work vehicle.

Will post some pics of the RR when done tomorrow. The rack itself is a WindCheetah but I made up custom mounts, stronger and can add some extras to the frame.

C1.jpg

IMG_9503.jpg

IMG_8994.jpg

You got a nice truck there and a big play ground to use it in are the wheels Toyota or after market and the rear bumper got some pretty heavy duty spindles was it home made or modified from shop bought would like to see it put together without the wheel and jerrycans

Thanks Steve

The rims are toyota, alloy mags from the previous gen 79 series. Would have preferred steelies but don't get them wide enough here, did think about having the original steelies widened but I dont quite trust that route.

The spindles/mountings for the rear swing arms I used the rear hubs from a toyota corolla. No bearing issues and stronger that the units on the normal aftermarket bumpers, also doesnt start coming apart or loosen up on bad roads. Will post you some pics soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
so...getting there...went a bit heavy duty with the foot pieces etc, but we like heavy duty.

IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg
IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

Now waiting for the paint to dry then will put the lego's back together
grin.gif

Had to go with silver as when it was time to cover up all the bad welding I realized the black cans of hammerite were empty...of course...
rolleyes.gif

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
the rear bumper got some pretty heavy duty spindles was it home made or modified from shop bought would like to see it put together without the wheel and jerrycans

IMG_4142.jpg

Just all a bit dirty still from last weekends trip.

Can see ideas forming in me head and by chance we got some members just took over a fabrication company mmmm would it be possible to have some pictures of the wheel and jerry can carrier next time you are getting out and thanks for taking time to post up oh without the wheel and jerry cans if you can ta steve

So, that's done. 30mm lower. Mountings a bit stronger. And the deflector is on...

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

Aluminium Wind/Tree deflector is on. Put some door sealer rubber along the bottom so as not to scratch the roof.

IMG_4138.jpg

Not sure how I feel about it though, sprayed it the same color as the farm gate on the front end. Have a trip coming up soon(ish) so will leave it on for that and see how it goes. Think might make up a "quick release" type mounting so can take it on/off easy. Then only put it one when have tent etc up top.

IMG_4140.jpg

Strange place to put a Glacisis plate are the trees that tough where you live

Ha Ha, Steve I love that description. Hopefully this will slightly improve the lack of aerodynamics when the RR is loaded with tent etc. And hopefully reduce the beating the tent sometimes has to put up with from bushes and branches. Sometimes the tracks we follow are quite overgrown and the tent cover does not respond well to thorns.

Obviously I try and avoid branches and bushes where possible but sometimes there is no way to avoid a scratch.

IMG_9139.jpg

What we lovingly refer to as "character" aka bush rash.

Yep had that when the paint work starts to sing scream just wondering how many octaves i can get out of it before it becomes painful to me wallet

Back