Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 150 Kakadu

Great photos. Good to see the 150 getting muddy

:text-+1:

God looking truck too and the kids seem to be enjoying as well.

Plenty of strap-work there, but I don't see a winch. Is there one hiding in that sleek looking bumper?

Nice pics. The bumper looks quite good. What's the rough price of one of them?

:text-+1:

God looking truck too and the kids seem to be enjoying as well.

Plenty of strap-work there, but I don't see a winch. Is there one hiding in that sleek looking bumper?

No winch as yet . Definately on the cards though. The Kids put up a fight when we leave home and put up a fight when we leave camp also. Cant win :)

Nice pics. The bumper looks quite good. What's the rough price of one of them?

TJM T15 winch bar is Roughly 2K colour coded and installed

Im not sure what the punch line is but I answered his question anyway :sunglasses:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine is still stock at the moment :(

Are those bumpers legal over here? If so I might have to invest in one as well, that is if I can convince the bank manager that we really need one.

If they have a winch then they're deemed a utility and exempt. Well, that's what the last discussion we had here concluded.

If you have it as a vanity item then it's against EU rules for pedestrian safety. A winch though was a functional item and it was ok.

IIRC it was also a case of "if it's already on the truck then it's ok but you can't fit a new one"

Sorry @Gasmanjc for the hijack :(

Well I got sick of having to unscrew my antenna from my rack to fit under the garage door, so I decided to look at fold down options. Being a tight bastard I then decided to have a crack at making my own. The antenna is only small so 2mm Aluminium will be plenty strong enough for this application. So with nothing but a grinder, drill ,file, vice and hammer I concocted this mount .
Some progress pics
Cardboard template. I went with sausage roll box for best performance
20170406_211650_zpsi2bghlpu.jpg

Vid of partially assembled product . At this point I hadn't finalized the locking Mechanism design. I only had the 2 bolts with wingnuts handy for the mock up, but will get a full length bolt with locking nut before attaching to the vehicle

Hard to see is the locking mechanism I went with. A 2mm threaded rod with a spring commandeered from a stapler and a section of a green wall plug. The wall plug is glued to the inside of he housing, the rod is threaded through it, through the spring and then through the walls of the the housing and hinging section.
It works by rotating a small lever about 5 revolutions in or out to lock or unlock. the spring holds tension in the locked position.

20170409_181055_zpsvgc3pgto.jpg

some more pics
20170409_181102_zps3qpqmd2j.jpg

Only 2 positions really needed up and down
20170409_181032_zpswayllvsr.jpg

Last edited:
Got a winch installed yesterday. I bought a cheap Dominator x 1200lb winch from 4wd supercentre. The majority of the reviews are good and the price was right.
full.jpg

I hit a stumbling block first up hoping to fit with the bar installed from underneath but there was no access. Luckily There is a ton of room once the grille and top plastic thingy and some useless metal brace is removed.
full.jpg

It was actually really easy to lower it down into place. I had to trim down all the bolts that came with the kit and modify my camera mount. Unfortunately the extension wires for the camera were a different colour to the originals and I dont know which wires to plug into which hole in the adapter .
full.jpg

All done . The fairlead is crooked! I am going to remove it to put a roller fairlead in to fill the hole. Hopefully I get to test it out in 2 weeks when we go to Levuka
full.jpg

Looks very good.

Can you find a spot behind the bumper to hide the relay box?

I originally wanted to put it behind the grill. I still might move it. Just don't want to have to buy more cables. I am concerned however with how far back the fairlead sits in the bar. Just priced the roller fairlead at TJM and they want $100 for it.

Made up some mounts to hang my recovery tracks off the side of the rhino rack. I used truss braces for the brackets
full.jpg

Painted black and drilled a a hole to fit a 10mm bolt and lock nut through
full.jpg

Drilled 2 more holes in each bracket and through the track mounting brackets and bolted with 2 8mm bolts with lock nuts
full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Noticed One of my top rear shock bushes has split. Looks like it was guillotined by the washer when the shock goes to full extension. A few people I have spoke to (some of them in the suspension Industry) are saying the top washer should be "cup facing upward". The bloke who did the install says it isn't the cause of the problem. He gave me a replacement anyway for me to change over myself.
Below is the split bush in place
rubber%20broke_zpsldypjkth.jpg

In the middle is the replacement bush. To the right is the one that I have just removed, It looks to be a factory bush
21616797_10203714139650578_680386356_o_zpsoxqp7tvc.jpg

I'm wondering why the factory part was left in place? I have put the new bush in with the cup facing upwards and will see how it goes this week end. Not sure how much tension is supposed to be placed on the bush by the nut and washer but nothing rattles yet...

Back