Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 2002 HZJ79R

Rambodian

Country Flag
australia
This is my new (old) LC
I haven't taken it off-road yet as I'm currently going over the beast to make sure everything is ok and up to the task.
I'm putting in a heavy duty clutch next week, and after that I'll do a rebuild on the swivel hubs and add new wheel bearings all around. I'll do all new oils and filters etc whilst I'm at it.
Eventually I'd like a rear locker, but for now just want to get it all serviced and up to speed.

IMG_2586.JPG

Nice looking truck there. What clutch were you thinking of?

Looks tidy, the HZJ79's are a good workhorse.......

Nice looking truck there. What clutch were you thinking of?
Sorry for late reply mate, just figured out my LCC emails were going to junk box.
It's a local manufacturer called Performance NPC clutches (Brisbane, Australia). They make some bloody good gear, I've never owned one but have 2 mates who run them in their late model LC 79 series V8 diesels. The clutch they make in house has the same stats as the safari tuff by Exedy but has a lighter feel under foot for better control off-road and in traffic.
It's being installed today, so I'll give it a bit of a write up in a couple days after I take it for a 4wd run.

Y
Looks tidy, the HZJ79's are a good workhorse.......

Yeh thanks mate, it's my first one. She needs a bit of TLC but I'll slowely bring it up to speed over the next few months. After that it'll be my daily driver as the little car I bought for to and from work will go to my eldest daughter. I love driving it, feels like a rig with high seat position lol

Sorry for late reply mate, just figured out my LCC emails were going to junk box.
It's a local manufacturer called Performance NPC clutches (Brisbane, Australia). They make some bloody good gear, I've never owned one but have 2 mates who run them in their late model LC 79 series V8 diesels. The clutch they make in house has the same stats as the safari tuff by Exedy but has a lighter feel under foot for better control off-road and in traffic.
It's being installed today, so I'll give it a bit of a write up in a couple days after I take it for a 4wd run.

I have the NPC clutch in the Troopy, as you say it performs very well and nice to drive with the light peddle.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Look forward to the feedback. I have the OE clutch in my 105, a better clutch is on the bucket list for sometime in the future (am getting a shopping list together, might get a few bits shipped over from Oz )

Look forward to the feedback. I have the OE clutch in my 105, a better clutch is on the bucket list for sometime in the future (am getting a shopping list together, might get a few bits shipped over from Oz )
Well I must say I'm really impressed with the NPC clutch, I went for a 4wd today and unfortunately the track was severely washed out. We pushed on but it consisted of allot of rock crawling, allot of the rocks were loose and about football size scattered all over the track. To top it off the track was steep, to steep to stand at some spots. It was a bit of a scary run but we were committed because the terrain dropped off to one side, no turning around.
I had to feather the clutch for hours, it performed flawlessly and as good as everyone says. The feel is heavier than normal but nothing compared to a usual heavy duty clutch.
I rate it highly after today, and as I was the only one who clutch didn't stink proves that a heavy duty clutch is worth it.

Great feedback . Now i need to find a source for this in the UK

Well this sux to write, I've been having a ball in my truck but it all came to an end today.
I went to take off and CRUNCH, I think might have destroyed my output shaft ☹️

Well I put a reco gearbox and transfer case in my LC, all is good with the ol rig again. I got a modified box, one piece main shaft and upgraded gears with full teeth. Feels good, goes good.

IMG_0085.JPG

Here's where the gearbox decided to strip out, talk about a crap day getting it out of this freezing muck. LOL

IMG_0081.JPG

Well this latest fix has me thinking of upgrading the old 1hz to a 1hz-t. Since I've got a strengthened gearbox, transfer case and heavy duty clutch. I'm thinking of rebuilding the 1hz with upgraded internals and throwing on a turbo kit and bigger exhaust. My 1hz has plenty of life in it, but a power upgrade might go a long way for hwy driving. Gonna think about it.
Oh yeh, I've installed a new GME UHF 3350, a new light bar and 2x7" spotties as well. I also installed a new kenwood radio with Bluetooth etc.
Old Cranky (kids named it) is about as modern as she'll ever be.
I'll take a few pics of all the goodies I've thrown on it in a few days.

Here's a pic of the new 7" spots and light bar. They're only cheapies, but man they work sweet.
I did a quick photo edit and blacked out my number plate, looks a bit dodgy lol

IMG_0078.JPG

Here's a couple little extras I did to keep 'Ol Cranky' current.
I put in a new stereo and speakers, also a new 80 channel uhf. As you can see, I also made a cup holder set lol . Got sick of having nowhere to put my coffee.

IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0088.JPG

Last edited:
Here's one of 'Ol Cranky' up on some blocks I made to rip the broken guts out. They'll also come in handy to spray the bottom with Inox before a beach run .
With summer just around the corner down under, I plan on plenty of beach runs.

IMG_0083.JPG

Back