Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 2008 Hilux Invincible

marsie

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
As some of you know i recently cashed in and sold my defender while prices are daft. That left me needing another work vehicle (which had to be a commercial for tax purposes) so i ended up with a 1 owner 2008 Hilux Invincible

It was bog standard apart from a mountain top roll and lock cover.
20170115_132654.jpg
20170115_132714.jpg

But the mods have already started. I thought the wheels looked small especially on the rear so started looking at the idea of fitting bigger wheels and thats where the fun started. The hilux is limited on front wheel size by a body mount at the rear of the arch which means that standard tyres are only 255/70/15. After a visit to the local toyota expert and fountain of knowledge (Andy Lomas :text-thankyouyello:) i borrowed a couple of wheels to try. First was an old 8 spoke with a 31/10.5/15 which did a much better job of filling the wheel arch but did stick out around 3/4 of an inch and also caught on the brake calliper when tightened up so would need spacing
20170119_134544.jpg

Then i tried a 80 series 5 spoke with a 265/75/16 and that fitted perfectly, just inside the arch and would only need minimal trimming of the wheel arch and also cleared the brake calliper
20170119_162019.jpg

So that made my mind up and i bought a set of LC80 wheels from Andy :text-woo: .So now i just need to get a set of 265/75/16 tyres and it will start looking more purposeful:banana-wrench:

Paul

Nice, the 80 alloys are solid too, and don't look dated IMO.

16" with 265/75 profile will give you about 34.6" and it's easy to check other variants...

Last edited:
More like 31" i think , body and suspension lift will let you fit 33's i bet - go on you know you want to :dance:

Now that is useful and very timely. I'm going to be buying a Hilux soon and figured I'd try some 80 alloys on there with my BFG Ats. Well that's that sorted! Means I might have to sell an 80 but that's another story.

I want a blue one like that too. Nice.

Did try a 285/75/16 (33"ish) and it looked the biz, but this would require mods to the body mount and footwell so decided to be sensible (however that may not last!!)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now that is useful and very timely. I'm going to be buying a Hilux soon and figured I'd try some 80 alloys on there with my BFG Ats. Well that's that sorted! Means I might have to sell an 80 but that's another story.

I want a blue one like that too. Nice.

I know its not a Land cruiser but know that several members on here have Hiluxs so thats why i have started the thread and maybe we can compare notes. Some 80 series wheels we tried were VERY close to the caliper but with a bit of a tickle with the grinder it will clear (one i tried caught but the caliper is rusted and it only caught enough to rub the back of the spokes slightly when fully tightened) so hopefully when the rust is removed it will provide enough clearance. The others we tried missed completely so there must be a slight difference in the spoke thickness?

We don't mind Hilux threads on here. It's all good.

Not all 80 alloys are the same. Not just the wheel nut type either. There's been instances like this before but I don't think anyone has every published a full write up on the classic pattern alloy. Toyota might have made small changes or had them made in different factories possibly.

Good :). The Landcruiser wheels i have got from Andy are cone type whereas my hilux rims are spigot so i may have to get new nuts aswell. But then again my nuts are old and rusty (if you pardon the pun!!)

I must admit that it did look good on the 285s but i cannot bring myself to chop the body about (just yet) I have fitted a lift to the front which has lifted it about 2.5" and levelled it out but even so, a 285 75 16 would need the body mount modding and possibly the footwells :astonished:.

I believe the yanks have the same body mount problem , i can't be sure but i think it was Tacoma or 4Runners i was looking at for ideas when i came across it without actually paying much attention to it .

Worth a look to see if there's a solution maybe .

Yep it seems to be a common problem with modern Toyotas. Its as though they thought they would stop people fitting big tyres

I'll save you the hassle of trimming bodywork etc and take it off your hands. I'll leave you a 3 series beemer in its place lol

Same thought has crossed my mind too , i wonder how long it will take them to realize the resale value will suffer and their rep will go down with it .

Thanks Andy, just working out what i need to do to get my bigger tyres on :thumbup:

I ended up getting a set of Colorado 16" rims, and got BFG At's for them
I have stayed with standard overall tyre diameter to keep performance the same for acceleration and braking.
265/70 r16
The Colorado wheels have slightly more offset so stance better

In winter I use the factory 17" alloys with snow tyres 265/65 - 17

Got a OME suspension lift as well

Often people remove the mud flaps and grind off rear of arches, and others have played around with camber, castor to move the wheels forward a bit

Back