Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

CDL makes no discernible difference to the steering ability, on mine.

Don't 33's look small :icon-biggrin:

20131026_205416.jpg

Spare fits nicely underneath (not that I had any doubt after asking on here)
20131026_215447.jpg

currently got the brakes in bits, wasn't greatly happy with them so an overhaul is underway, slowing down on the 35's has shown up poor efficiency and were fading easily! one of the front calipers has a stiff piston so have one coming from Karl, the rear sliders have been covered in copper grease before and not done them any favours, new slider bolts, rubbers, discs and pads on the way for it.

20131026_215517.jpg
do like being able to leave it in bits when needed and close door behind me :icon-biggrin:

This is my steering guard, doesn't affect clearance too much and is easily removed as won't always be fitted, just leaves 2 small brackets behind when not on. Protects the winch mount aswell so not just for the steering

20131014_194712.jpg

Got on with replacing the brakes, should stop a lot better then it was doing, new discs and pads all round, new rear slider pin bolts

20131029_202128.jpg

The aircon decided to turn inside of the bumper green so a new condenser and receiver drier went in and a regas, works again now

all stripped out
20131102_221937.jpg

nice shiny new one fitted in
20131102_225208.jpg

for the keen eyed I don't have a horn missing, its where the A bar bracket bolts to aswell.

Had a bit of a think for some extra storage, found a cargo net in the garage and hooked it in place, not for anything heavy so should do the job nicely, mainly for when the spare goes in the boot which takes up a fair bit of space

20131104_210249.jpg

I've been having a think about the roof bars too and might have a plan but need to transfer from theory to practical!

seem to have spent more time working on other peoples trucks then my own recently though so it's sat covered in dust!

Well i decided the little rust spot on the bonnet needed sorting out, the A bar has brackets and one had rubbed on the bonnet, so a rust spot no bigger then a 10p coin..... easy job, sand it down, treat it, fill and a little paint! well when is something that easy!!??

I chased the rust (keep thinking 10p coin) which started with sand paper, sand paper turned to flap wheel, turned to grinding disc, turned to cutting disc and 'why the hell did I start this?'

this is what it took to chase the spread...... :shock::shock:
20131114_195952.jpg

outer and inner bonnet skin cut away, corrosion gone!!! so now i'm on that creek and need to find a paddle!!

Bit of steel sheet cut to size, edge folded to match the bonnet and welded into place

20131114_211142.jpg

bit of filler
20131115_221509.jpg

primed, rubbed down, surrounding area rubbed down and all masked up

20131117_121845.jpg

Then painted, got a couple of runs in the paint that need flatting down and it all needs blending with 1500 grit then compounding to look nice again. without painting the full bonnet it won't be a pefect finish but by the time it's blended it'll look something near.

20131117_135833.jpg

inner skin rebuilt too
20131117_140805.jpg

next time i'm finding a new bonnet :lol::lol:

My god thats devotion for ya :lol: good job your a braver man than me to tackle it :thumbup::

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers for the comments, really didn't expect it to grow that much but it had got between the 2 skins, when the grinder came out it was the point of no return!!!

Karl... I cheated and used an aerosol, paint place near work mix them up for a few quid, was only planning on quite a small repair otherwise i'd of used the spray gun!

will leave it for a couple of days before I flat it. Being a flat black shouldn't be too bad to blend it in a bit better and compound it.

Gary, where is your load guard from. That's the sort of arrangement I am after. I think.

C

Gary, where is your load guard from. That's the sort of arrangement I am after. I think.

C

It's a bmw x5 one with part of the lower section of a x3 one to extend it. Brackets moved to suit the lc.

I think there's an x3 one at work in the scrap bin, quite similar in size if want me to grab it? Got the top section of the one I cut up too.

Well I gave the bonnet a good going over with 1500 grit then rubbing compound to blend the paint in. Not come out too bad, colour match isn't perfect and from the right angle can see it's had a little repair but it'll do for me. Looks much better then a rust scab that had spread more then I'd thought anyway!! Could've got a lot better but I'd be painting the bonnet and by that point a new one would be easier!! Cost less then £10 and a bit of my time to sort.

The colour match isn't spot on but it's close enough!! about half a shade out.
Been thinking about getting the front wings and front section of the bonnet wrapped anyway so won't see it.

Don't think it looks too bad
20131119_202328.jpg

Picking up some materials over the weekend to have a go at making the roof bars useable :icon-wink:

Just dirt match it to the rest of the bonnet and no one will know :lol:

Just dirt match it to the rest of the bonnet and no one will know :lol:

:lol: you should see the rest of the truck, it's under the dust somewhere! It'll get a wash at the weekend ready for winter.

Decided I'd make a proper shelf/ storage area in the back, felt the cargo net hooked in wasn't right...

20131123_221650.jpg

Couple of brackets bolted where the rear grab handles go, plenty space up there and doesn't effect rear view.

A very good use of wasted space :clap:

Last edited:
Gary, been designing something very similar myself. I thought I'd hinge the front end off the cargo barrier, put some short limiting straps at the grab rails and then use a simple sort of 'hook and eye' catch at the edge of the tailgate to hold it up.

Got any more of those wire baskets ......... Nice

This bolts up at the sides to some ally brackets, it comes back about 3/4 of the space so can get stuff in.

I'd love to say I had some more Chris, the 'basket' is 2 shelves from my workshop welded together :lol: they were the perfect size!!

Ahh. I figure I will have a sheet of weld mesh delivered and simply cut and bend to shape then weld. I will see how rigid that is before perhaps using some very small U channel strip that I have to 'hem' the edges. Then off to the coater. Again.

Back