Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

This has a little bit of flex but will never have heavy stuff up there, jackets, water proofs, little uns teddys etc :lol:

With the 35 in the boot just tried to be creative with space, going to move the waffle boards up top so have the option of in the boot or on the roof.

It's a handy space up there in the roof, surprising what you can stuff into a space like that.

Yes I remember your wooden drop down cutlery tray Jon. It was great. That's what really inspired me to think about it. That and the one Lazz has in his.

Gary, my 35" is under the floor in the usual space. Have you got a tank under there instead? I am putting one under there eventually hence me having the new bumper with swing out carrier. But it will fit. Ii have taken the tow bar off to allow this, but that can be extended slightly to go back on. I shall have a 2" hitch there instead of a towbar which is just dead weight

No tank under the back, if got one I'd go for it above the spare mount. and no tow bar on mine. Never tried it underneath tbh figured it'd hang down too far? The 33 is close to the exhaust so not sure about a 35.
With the 2 sets of wheels the 35's are for off road so not so much an issue having in the boot for me, I'll see if still feel that way after spending a week in Wales tho lol.

Got some materials to mod the roof bars which creates more space.

Gary there is neat trick for raising the spare. You basically unbolt the cross carrier then cut some tubes and use longer bolts to raise the carrier up a few inches. This take the wheel up higher into the well.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Think I'll have a look at that Chris, if can get it up out of The way it's an option. Depends on clearance to exhaust but that gets changed soon.

Gary there is neat trick for raising the spare. You basically unbolt the cross carrier then cut some tubes and use longer bolts to raise the carrier up a few inches. This take the wheel up higher into the well.

Chris

IIRC Chris, there's a bar at the rear and a cross plate held on with four bolts each side which mounts the "chain-winch" thingy.

Do you mean removing the bar at the back, or the cross plate? If the latter, how to mount the chain-winch thingy, or is there a part "b" to this process that I'm missing?

interested, because so far I've removed everything and have a wide open space there, waiting for a good idea! :lol:

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah C.J... forget about all that over-landing stuff, drop down trays , fuel tanks, shelves... We wanna see your arm rest in situ!

Lazz, go boil yer head in a bucket. We'll get to the good stuff, just be patient.

(Actually, no one tell him but I don't have grey leather in this one so I am unlikely to be using that. I know that will come as a blow to him)

Come on Clive. keep up. It was pretty clear. You unbolt the carrier - now how would that be the metal bar? Carrier, thing with the winch on :icon-rolleyes: You need a nap mate. And then as I said, you get some longer bolts and some tube. You put the bolts through the carrier holes, slide the tube (spacers) on and then bolt the carrier back into the same holes it came out of. Now the carrier and winch as higher up inside the well so when you lift the wheel it sits higher up.

You need to make sure you can still get to the socket on the winch with your wiggle bar to let it down of course. That stupid bar thing just needs unbolting and throwing on the pile at the back of the workshop. It's a vid somewhere. Two Yanks I think.

Well I've added it to the list of stuff to do, roof bars first.
Not wanting a swing out carrier it's why spare went in the boot, if will tuck up high enough it'll go underneath.
Carrying extra fuel is on the list too, was looking at the space between the spare carrier and boot floor but thats not high up the list!!

Lazz, go boil yer head in a bucket. We'll get to the good stuff, just be patient.

(Actually, no one tell him but I don't have grey leather in this one so I am unlikely to be using that. I know that will come as a blow to him)

Come on Clive. keep up. It was pretty clear. You unbolt the carrier - now how would that be the metal bar? Carrier, thing with the winch on :icon-rolleyes: You need a nap mate. And then as I said, you get some longer bolts and some tube. You put the bolts through the carrier holes, slide the tube (spacers) on and then bolt the carrier back into the same holes it came out of. Now the carrier and winch as higher up inside the well so when you lift the wheel it sits higher up.

You need to make sure you can still get to the socket on the winch with your wiggle bar to let it down of course. That stupid bar thing just needs unbolting and throwing on the pile at the back of the workshop. It's a vid somewhere. Two Yanks I think.

Got it now Chris! Wonderful thing, the English language! Cheers!

Had a look underneath and tried 35" for fitment, rests against the exhaust rear silencer and won't move over any further to the left.
After the exhaust has been done I'll maybe have another look.

Not finished but tonight got on with ............

20131129_212449.jpg

20131129_212538.jpg

Main purpose will be waffle boards but gives extra options for storage if needed, doesn't weigh much which is a bonus.
Still got the side brackets to make which will bolt into the ends, had a nut welded into the ends of the box section. Won't be difficult for me to removed so may even go on when needed rather then always fitted.

Comments, suggestions, Criticism all welcome

The smaller parts that run front to rear line up with the waffle boards to strap down securely and individually if needed

Last edited:
Pretty neat that, but when you use it, don't forget the weight limits printed on the rail badge.

The PO of my 80 had carried I dunno what on the rails and dented the roof at all 6 mounting posts. The rating was only 75kg IIRC, so I did away with it altogether in favour of a "proper" rack that I can quite happily walk about on, carry luggage or mount a RTT.

Good job though, if you don't intend carrying much weight up there. :icon-biggrin:

Heaviest item is the waffle boards which overlap the stock bars. I could make brackets that extend down to the roof gutter easily enough if needed to.
Used 25x25x1.5 mm box so wouldn't handle big weights anyway.
I like the stock bars and had them on the wish list when looking so don't wanna just remove them, would've thought when Toyota decided to fit bars they'd make them more useable!!

Gary, that is a tidy piece of work. Finished, it will look alike a bought one.

C

Cheers.

I did start on the brackets with the intention of finishing today but other jobs to do!! (Other project can be seen in the background)
Making them from some nice angle ally I've got, will clamp nicely (hopefully) to the bottom rail.

Got the mounting brackets made and bolted up. Just needs taking back off and a splash of paint.

20131201_205534.jpg

20131201_205601.jpg

Got the rack painted and fitted up. Will get it powder coated at some point I think but just incase I want to make any changes to it I painted it.

20131206_203152.jpg

Just to make a change from dusty workshop photos lol

20131208_135048.jpg

I think my nav must know when we're in the truck too lol and yes we turned left

20131208_132342.jpg

Back